What could Amy be short for?

OH and I love [name_f]Amy[/name_f] but we feel it should be short for something. We’ve had a look at various names we thought of but can’t find anything that really appeals. So far we’ve considered these:

[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]: [name_m]Way[/name_m] too common and I really don’t find it that pretty
[name_f]Amity[/name_f]: I like the sound but Amityville Horror puts us off!
[name_f]Amethyst[/name_f]: It’s the stone in my engagement ring but it sounds a bit tacky as a name.
[name_f]Amia[/name_f]: It’s okay but looks a little made-up
[name_f]Amaya[/name_f]/[name_f]Amaia[/name_f]: i like the meaning (Japanese for “night rain”) but not convinced by the sound

Would really appreciate more suggestions. Our surname when we get to have kids sounds like [name_m]Cotton[/name_m] if that helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

[name_f]Amalie[/name_f] / [name_f]Amalia[/name_f] / [name_f]Amelie[/name_f]
Amarinth
[name_f]Amira[/name_f]
[name_f]Amabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Amber[/name_f]

[name_f]Amanda[/name_f]
[name_f]Amaya[/name_f]
[name_f]Araminta[/name_f]
Amabella

[name_f]Amadea[/name_f] / [name_f]Amedea[/name_f]
[name_f]Amabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Amada[/name_f]
[name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f]
[name_f]Amadia[/name_f]
[name_f]Amalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]
[name_f]Amalie[/name_f]
Amaline / [name_f]Ameline[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelisa[/name_f] / [name_f]Amalisa[/name_f]
Amalise / Amelise
[name_f]Amandine[/name_f]
[name_f]Amalita[/name_f]
[name_f]Amapola[/name_f]
[name_u]Amari[/name_u]
[name_f]Amariah[/name_f]
[name_f]Amata[/name_f]
[name_f]Amarys[/name_f]
[name_f]Amargo[/name_f]
[name_f]Amaranta[/name_f]
[name_f]Amatia[/name_f]
[name_f]Amerie[/name_f] / Amarie
[name_f]Amella[/name_f]
[name_f]Amica[/name_f]
[name_f]Aminta[/name_f]
[name_f]Aminda[/name_f]
[name_f]Amia[/name_f]
[name_f]Amira[/name_f]
[name_f]Amio[/name_f]
[name_f]Amoret[/name_f]
[name_f]Amparo[/name_f]
[name_f]Annamarie[/name_f]

[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u]
[name_f]Jessamy[/name_f]
[name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f]

Anything along the [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]/[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]/[name_f]Amalia[/name_f] line is out really.

[name_f]Amira[/name_f] and [name_f]Amica[/name_f] are nice and similar to some other names we thought of: [name_f]Amita[/name_f] and Amika… thoughts?

[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] is a great suggestion and I love it… unfortunately it’s on our boys’ list!

[name_f]Amethyst[/name_f] and [name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f] came to mind. I think [name_f]Amethyst[/name_f] is fine as a name – I love it myself – and [name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f] is so cute.

[name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f] was the first name that popped into my head too. I used to dislike the name, but the more I see it (and say it) the more I like it. I feel like it’s the perfect name for [name_f]Amy[/name_f] because they have a similar cowboy/western feel.

[name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f] and [name_f]Jessamine[/name_f] are my favorites of those listed. But speaking as an [name_f]Amy[/name_f], I’d just like to say that it does stand on its own legs pretty well. Easy to say and spell, familiar to the masses but not hugely popular in this decade. If you’re looking for more elegance, there’s always the [name_m]French[/name_m] spelling [name_f]Aimee[/name_f]. This is just my opinion and you can name your child what you like, of course - but if you love [name_f]Amy[/name_f] enough to keep it on your list, why make it a diminutive of something else, especially if you plan to use it most of the time rather than [name_f]Amaya[/name_f], [name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f], [name_f]Amira[/name_f], etc, which come from vastly different backgrounds. It just seems like it would cause unnecessary confusion for teachers, doctors, employers, etc., since Amaryllis or Amity or Amaya to Amy is not a mental leap most people will make automatically.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] food for thought. [name_f]Carry[/name_f] on.

This. I like [name_f]Amy[/name_f] on its own, or [name_f]Aimee[/name_f].

I personally think [name_f]Amy[/name_f] or even [name_f]Aimee[/name_f] is fine on its on but here are some suggestions:

[name_f]Amanda[/name_f]
[name_u]America[/name_u]
[name_f]Amalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Amandine[/name_f]
[name_f]Amina[/name_f]
[name_f]Amabel[/name_f]
[name_u]Amory[/name_u]
[name_f]Jessamy[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]