What could be shortened to Nina?

I’d like a vast list :slight_smile:

“Traditional” names preferred.

I think the nn [name_f]Nina[/name_f] could be used for names that don’t exactly have ‘nina’ in the name such as, [name_f]Janine[/name_f], [name_f]Marlene[/name_f], [name_f]Selene[/name_f], and so forth. Or if you want a name that has the nn already incorporated there’s Karenina, [name_f]Antonina[/name_f], [name_f]Janina[/name_f], [name_f]Gianina[/name_f], or Menina?

[name_f]Antonina[/name_f]/[name_f]Antonia[/name_f]
[name_f]Alexandrina[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgina[/name_f]
[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]
[name_f]Paulina[/name_f]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f]
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f]/[name_f]Clementina[/name_f]

[name_f]Valentina[/name_f] would be perfect

[name_f]Nina[/name_f] is traditional nickname for [name_f]Nicolina[/name_f]/Nikolina where I live.

But that’s not traditional English name, so I get you not wanting to use unfamiliar name.

[name_f]Eponine[/name_f]
[name_f]Hermione[/name_f]

Almost all the names ending in -ina or -ena can be shortened to [name_f]Nina[/name_f]. Suggestions:

[name_f]Serena[/name_f]
[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f]
[name_f]Evelina[/name_f]
[name_f]Irina[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f]
[name_f]Christina[/name_f]
[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]
[name_f]Alina[/name_f]/[name_f]Alena[/name_f]
[name_f]Nadina[/name_f]
[name_f]Katarina[/name_f]
[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephina[/name_f]
[name_f]Angelina[/name_f]

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] makes no sense. Unless you don’t know proper pronunciation.

Maybe… But I know so many people whose nicknames don’t have nothing to do with their given names (or seem to have nothing to do). So, I don’t think [name_f]Elena[/name_f] or [name_f]Helena[/name_f] is that far from [name_f]Nina[/name_f]. It could go from [name_f]Nena[/name_f] to [name_f]Nina[/name_f]. But of course there are better options.

Is [name_f]Evangelina[/name_f] too far a stretch?

Sabsab asked for traditional name for [name_f]Nina[/name_f] nickname. That name doesn’t exist in English language, but in South Slavic languages - Nikolina nn [name_f]Nina[/name_f] or [name_f]Nicolina[/name_f] nn [name_f]Nina[/name_f]. I can vouch Nikolina is real name, but [name_f]Nicolina[/name_f] might be Italian version & easier for English speakers.

She has several option for her situation:

1. use just [name_f]Nina[/name_f]
  2. use name ending in ine/-ina & hope nickname sticks (which I doubt)
  3. use non traditional English name, but traditional foreign name
  4. name her kid something unrelated like [name_f]Frederica[/name_f] & then hope everyone calls her [name_f]Nina[/name_f] out of nowhere

what she wants doesn’t exist

[name_f]Evangelina[/name_f]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f]
[name_f]Antonina[/name_f]
[name_f]Angelina[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelina[/name_f]
[name_f]Evelina[/name_f]
[name_f]Celestina[/name_f]
[name_f]Delphina[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgina[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephina[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalina[/name_f]
[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]
[name_f]Valentina[/name_f]
[name_f]Janine[/name_f]
[name_f]Penina[/name_f]
[name_f]Christina[/name_f]

anything ending in [name_f]Ina[/name_f]

I understand your point of view, but Nikolina/[name_f]Nicolina[/name_f] is definitely not the only option…

“[name_f]Nina[/name_f] is as multiethnic as you can get: [name_f]Nina[/name_f] is a common nickname name in Spain and [name_f]Russia[/name_f], a Babylonian goddess of the oceans, and an Incan goddess of fire.” - nameberry
“Short form of names that end in nina, such as [name_f]ANTONINA[/name_f] or [name_f]GIANNINA[/name_f]. It was imported to Western Europe from [name_f]Russia[/name_f] and [name_f]Italy[/name_f] in the 19th century. This name also nearly coincides with the Spanish word niña meaning “little girl”.” - behind the name

In my country, some people use [name_f]Nina[/name_f] as a sweet short form of the word girl. - - > Menina (girl).
You can definitely get [name_f]Nina[/name_f] from [name_f]Christina[/name_f] and [name_f]Serena[/name_f].

My cousin is [name_f]Anita[/name_f] and has always gone by [name_f]Nina[/name_f].

Of course. [name_f]Nina[/name_f] as standalone is better for her [name_f]IMO[/name_f], especially since she asked for traditional name, which in English language doesn’t really exist.