What do[or will] your kids call their grandparents?

In my family the grandparents choose their own name, it’s a big deal for them to all come up with something special for themselves. My mother ended up choosing Gamma, like the Greek letter. My father, ever the traditionalist, chose Papaw for himself.

I think I’ll let them choose. After all, it’s their name, so shouldn’t they pick?

My parents are going to be [name_f]Nana[/name_f] and Pops.
DH’s parents are BB (mom’s name is [name_f]Betty[/name_f] [name_u]Jo[/name_u]) and thinking Poppa.

For some more options, I called my paternal grandparents Grandmother and Grandaddy and maternal [name_f]Oma[/name_f] and Opa.
Hubby called his Mamaw and Papaw and Granny and Pappy.

I also love G and G-Daddy. We just aren’t using it because my cousin’s daughter calls my grandmother (the baby’s great grandmother) GG and our kids will be around too much, so it would be confusing/weird to call my mom G.

Eh, it’s an old thread, but why not? :wink: This is actually something that DH and I have been discussing…we aren’t sure.

My mom already has a few grandchildren. My niece, the oldest, called her Mamaw. My twin nephews are 2.5 years old and I have no clue what they call her. Maybe the same thing, but my brother and [name_m]SIL[/name_m] don’t like the “country” lingo, so I assume they just have the boys call her Grandma. Anyhow, my most recent step-father, of around a year, currently doesn’t have any grandchildren, so I’m not sure what he will be called. My step-brother’s ex-girlfriend is supposedly expecting, so I guess that baby will get to set his ‘grandparent name’.

My biological dad, who I am trying to re-establish a relationship with, has my niece and nephews call him Grandpa.

On DH’s side, our kids will be the first grandkids, and possibly the only ones. I very highly doubt my [name_f]MIL[/name_f] will want to be called Grandma…she’s the type to want Glam or Glamma. DH’s father will likely go by Grandpa. My [name_f]MIL[/name_f]'s latest fling expects our kids to be known as his grandkids, but we will likely have them call him by his name.

For our grandparents, our kids will likely call them what we call them, unless anyone expresses otherwise.
*my maternal grandparents, both divorced and remarried are known as 'Grandpa & Grandma last name, but my mom’s mom might choose to be known as ‘grandmama’, which is what us kids called her mom.
*my paternal grandparents, who our kids will likely never meet, are 'Grandpa & Grandma lastname
*DH’s only remaining grandparent is known as Grandma ‘first name’. Her husband, DH’s longtime step-grandfather, is simply known by his first name, [name_m]Jim[/name_m], by his request.

We plan on trying to do the Chinese names for my parents so “nai nai” and “ye ye” but haven’t discussed it with them yet (My mom’s Chinese). Not sure what we’ll end up doing for my husband’s parents. Guessing Grandma and Grandpa, but they have this thing where they let the kids make up their names. My nieces call them “[name_m]Gee[/name_m]” and “Bompa” so our kid might end up using those too.

When baby arrives, he/she will be the first grandchild on both sides. We let my parents, and my husband’s mother choose their grandparent names. My mum and dad chose Grammie and Grandad.

My [name_f]MIL[/name_f] chose [name_f]Nona[/name_f]. She had originally wanted [name_f]Nana[/name_f], but she lives with her mother, whom my husband and all his cousins call [name_f]Nana[/name_f], and she thought two Nanas under one roof would be too confusing!

My maternal grandparents are Mema and [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] and my paternal grandparents are Ammi (greek for grandma) and PopPop

I don’t have children yet but my mother wants to go by Mamabear, which I think will probably be shortened to Mama which is reasonable.

My in-laws already have grandchildren and they go by Grammy and Pappy. My Bf’s grandmother lives with them as well and she goes by Big Grammy, while my [name_f]MIL[/name_f] goes by Grammy or Regular Grammy (which always makes me laugh) by my niece.

Unless DH’S sister gets pregnant, we will be the first with children.

I had many grandparents growing up. We had Grammy, Gramps, Grandma [name_f]Poppy[/name_f], Awuela, Awuelo, Grandmom or Old Smokey, and Petepop. Great grandparents were Grandma and Grandpa. DH had Meme, Vovo, and Grandmum and Grandpa. So we have an eclectic mix.

Our parents I know already have theirs picked out. Mine will be [name_f]Mimi[/name_f], [name_f]Poppy[/name_f], Awuelo, and Grandmum. DH’S will be Vovo and Grandma. It may change by the time we have kids but who knows. All I know is there are many versions in different languages to choose from.

My mum is Granny [name_f]Martha[/name_f] (usually just Granny), my stepmother is [name_f]Nanna[/name_f] and my father is Granddad. My two boys call their paternal grandparents Grandpa or Papa and Granny as well, they don’t see each other too often though (and the two sets of grandparents haven’t been in the same room in years, so I don’t see the point of calling each one by a different name).

When [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] was younger she started calling my mom Mam ma and so that just stuck for all the other kids. She started calling my dad poppy (I suspect she heard me call my grandpa poppy). So they were Mamma and Poopy. My husbands parents dictated what they were called. My mother in law wanted herself called Granny and my father in law wanted to be called grandad.

I love this! So great seeing all the diversity!

I still have both sets of grandparents - [name_f]Nana[/name_f] + Pa, and [name_f]Nana[/name_f] + Pop.

My partner only has one grandparents on each side…
Maternal grandmother: Duver (it was meant to be ‘grandmother’, but this was the best is oldest sibling could say as a toddler - it stuck!)
Paternal grandfather: Grandad.

My partner’s parents already have grandchildren and are really traditional - they are Grandmother and Grandfather. I think it sounds rather stuffy, but it is what we’ll use as it is what they like.

My sister is 9 years younger than me, so we are most likely to be first in with babies and therefore picking grandparents names.

I was jokingly talking to my Mum about it a while back and she was all “I’m not being [name_f]Nana[/name_f] or Granny and Grams… I’m not that old!” lol She quite likes things like [name_f]Mimi[/name_f] and [name_f]Nonnie[/name_f], so I expect she’ll do something like that. Either that or let our first chose what she is called (my SO would love this, as he loves that his grandmother has such a sentimental name).
I don’t really know about my Dad. I don’t really want him to be just Pa, especially seeing as we already have one (praying that he is still around when we have children). We call him Papa or Atar (pr. ad-uh) on and off, and he likes those, so I won’t be surprised if he chose to go with one of them.

My paternal grandparents were always Grandma and Grandad, and my daughter calls them the same (or at least tries)
My maternal grandmother is [name_f]Nana[/name_f] and my step-grandfather is Poppa, and my late grandfather was Grandad P (surname initial)

SO only has one living grandparent, his maternal grandmother, Mema…I’m not sure about what his other grandparents went by

My mum goes by [name_f]Nanny[/name_f] first name or [name_f]Oma[/name_f], and dad goes by Pops or Opa
SO’s parents are Gran and Gramps

My in-laws will be [name_f]Gigi[/name_f] and Papa. [name_f]Gigi[/name_f]'s already an established name–it’s the nickname her nieces gave her when they were children (her given name is pronounced like “[name_f]Gina[/name_f],” though spelled unusually).

My mother thinks all grandmother names sound too “old.” I told her that’s sort of the point, but she still doesn’t like anything we suggest. If I had to guess, she might end up being “Gran” (which I think is super old-lady!) since that’s what she called both of her grandmothers. My dad will also be Papa, so I guess we’ll have to add last names or some other distinguishing marker.

Grandma and Grandpa. That’s what we call them, so that’s what my kids have learned. :slight_smile: Both my husband and I grew up calling our grandparents that, so I guess it stuck! I think his parents wanted creative new names, but they didn’t stick, probably because it seemed a little forced and we didn’t choose to make it a priority.

I call my grandparents on both sides Grandma and Grandpa, when I need to differentiate I use their last name. My paternal grandfather wanted to be Pop, but my parents never forced it and my brother and I used grandpa more.
Hubs calls his paternal grandmother, Granny And his maternal grandparents are Mamaw and Papaw.

Our kids will probably call my parents Grandma and Grandpa, that’s my parents choice.I have no clue about my [name_f]MIL[/name_f] but I know his dad wants to be Grandad. Despite Hubs being the oldest I don’t know if we’ll be the first to have kids so we’ll see what nieces/nephews wind up calling them.

My parents are Grandma and Grandpa, but [name_f]Noemi[/name_f] pronounces Grandma more like Greema.

My grandparents (only one set is living) are [name_f]Nana[/name_f] and Papa because that’s what I have always called them.

My husband’s parents are Abuela and Abuelo (Buela and Buelo for short). We just met them over the summer, and looking at pictures, [name_f]Noemi[/name_f] sometimes confuses the two names because they are so similar.

My husband’s grandma is Abuelita. We haven’t met his other set of grandparents yet, so I don’t know what they will be called.

I only ever knew my dad’s parents and I called them Grandma and Grandad.
My mum wants to be called [name_f]Nana[/name_f] because she loved her [name_f]Nana[/name_f] dearly. I love the idea of [name_f]Nana[/name_f] and Papa together but I don’t think my dad would want to be called Papa, so would probably be Grandad or Grandpa.

My DD calls her Grandparents Granda and Grana

I’m a very long way off having children, but my mum wants to be [name_f]Nonna[/name_f], the Italian word for grandma, though she has no real ties to [name_f]Italy[/name_f].

I absolutely hate it when people have ‘Grandma Lastname’ I think its really impersonal. Plus you could end up with the situation my Granny is in that some of my cousins call her Granny [name_m]Leonard[/name_m] even though that’s not been her surname for 10+ years.

I grew up with a [name_f]Nana[/name_f] & Papa, my dad’s parents, and my mom’s were [name_f]Nana[/name_f]/Nonny and Grandpa. We called her [name_f]Nana[/name_f] but most of the other grandkids called her Nonny, when we were old enough to figure this out we switched to Nonny too and I’m not sure why we had started calling her [name_f]Nana[/name_f] as it was confusing to have two [name_f]Nana[/name_f]'s for little kids. They’re all deceased now.

My hubbies parents decided early on their names, as his sister had kids first. His father is Grandpa and his mother (who has since passed away) will be their only [name_f]Nana[/name_f] so we can still refer to her as [name_f]Nana[/name_f]. My parents I decided will be [name_f]Mimi[/name_f] and Papa, they just fit them, and my mother had a grandmother [name_f]Mimi[/name_f] whom she was very close with.

The weirdest ones i’ve come across are my [name_m]SIL[/name_m]'s in laws. Her [name_f]MIL[/name_f] is a funny very judge demanding woman who thinks she’s the opposite (like high maintenance but thinks she’s low maintenance) and wants to be Mimsy, I have not yet heard the 3 year old pronounce this successfully. I believe their grandfather on that side is Pop Pop, but I’m not sure. It is a funny thing though to give your own parents new names.