What do[or will] your kids call their grandparents?

My mother is called nonna by my daughter and niece, my father is babbo. My mother-in-law is grandma or granny, her husband is gramps and my father-in-law is grandpa. His wife is called nan.

I grew up with immigrant grandparents so we never used Grandma & Grandpa as their names. My great-grandmother was also still alive, so she was Yia-yia (Greek) and her son, my grandfather, was Papou. Papou’s wife chose to go by [name_f]Nona[/name_f] since it was too confusing to have two Yia-yia’s. On the other side, we had Opa & [name_f]Oma[/name_f].

When my daughter was born, she was the first grandchild on both sides, and it was an absolute fiasco getting everyone to agree on what they would want her to call them… I actually had to tell my mother to just choose a name already because she made a list of potential names, almost like she was able to reinvent herself. It was the most frustrating thing because she would call me up and be like “I know you’re going into the hospital right now to give birth, but do you think “[name_f]Nina[/name_f]” is a good name for her to call me?”. It was awful. She has officially changed her “name” 4 times since my daughter’s birth.
My mother-in-law wanted to be Grammy from day one, but her mother is still alive and decided that she wanted to change from being traditional Grandma [name_f]Ann[/name_f] to now be Grammy. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t mess with old people, guys - she had her mind set on it and she fought for it. So they are now both Grammy.

All of this to say, they settled on Pops (what I have always called my dad, instead of Dad) & Yia-yia/[name_f]Gigi[/name_f] and the in-law’s are Papa & Grammy [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. When they’re not around, we just call refer to them as Grandma/pa _____ (last name) except for my dad - He’s always Pops. :slight_smile: Who knows what my kids will actually end up calling them when they can talk!

[name_f]Nanny[/name_f], [name_f]Nana[/name_f], Grandpa, [name_f]Gigi[/name_f], Pops

I call my mom’s parents [name_f]Patti[/name_f] and Thatha, and my dad’s parents Dadi and Dada. I assume that if I have kids, they’ll call my mom [name_f]Patti[/name_f], but I’m not sure what my dad will prefer.

My kids call my parents [name_f]Mimi[/name_f] and [name_m]Buddy[/name_m] :laughing:

1 Like

My parents will probably want to choose (when the time comes), and I’ll let them as long as there’s no arguing between them and my future in-laws over it. I have:
Mum’s parents: [name_f]Nan[/name_f] & Grumpy, but my cousin calls them Grammy and Grumpy as [name_f]Nan[/name_f] was already taken on the other side of the family.
Dad’s dad: Grandad
Dad’s mum & step dad: [name_f]Nanny[/name_f] & Pop
All chosen by them.

My kids call my parents Grandma and Papa. These were decided on by my nephews whom were born about 10 years prior. [name_f]My[/name_f] parents tried to have it be Grandpa but as toddlers my nephews kept saying Papa so that’s what stuck

Similarly nephews on my husbands side turned Grandpa into Reepah and Memere into Nenere. So when my kids showed up Nenere stuck but Reepah turned into Boopah!

My partner’s parents are
[name_f]Nanny[/name_f] and grandad

My parents are
Nanma and grandad

My mom is momele and my father is zeyde (zey-zey to the littlest ones). [name_f]My[/name_f] mother in law is gigi, my father in law is gordie and my husband’s grandmother is mama-H.

We have Papa and [name_f]Ama[/name_f] on my side. Grandma & Grandpa on hubbs.

Others I know of: Mema, Tutu, Granny, [name_u]Nana[/name_u], Nene, Noni, [name_f]Mimi[/name_f], [name_f]Gigi[/name_f], Papawd, Pop pop, [name_f]Oma[/name_f], Opa, Bumpa.

My boys are the first born grandchildren on both sides of the family, so we’ll see if things morph as they grow older.

For now though, my parents chose Gran and Opa, and my in-laws went with [name_u]Nana[/name_u] and Grandad.

Funny enough, we ended up not having much of a choice and neither did my parents. [name_f]My[/name_f] parents would ask my son if he could say “Grandma” and “Grandpa” and he never really said them. Instead he just started calling my Mom “[name_u]Nana[/name_u]” and my stepdad “Papa” one day and it just stuck. We did tell him my Dad’s name is Opa because at the time he still struggled to say Grandpa, my son’s great grandmother came from [name_m]Germany[/name_m], and I thought he would have a hard time distinguishing between two Papa’s.

My son calls my dad Opa and my mom grandma. I wanted him to call my mom nonnie or nana but it didn’t stick. He calls my husband’s dad- Abello or Abuelo and my husbands mom, Mama [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] (would prefer if he called her Abuela but she kept insisting she be called Mama [name_f]Silvia[/name_f]…)

Depending on who I marry, my kids will probably call my parents Bubbe (my mom) and [name_f]Sabba[/name_f] (my dad) or Bubbe and Zeyde. If I marry a Jew and my partner’s mom wants to be Bubbe, my parents will probably end up just being grandma and grandpa.

I called my maternal grandmother Grandma and my paternal grandmother Bubbe. Both of my bio grandfathers died before I was born but my PGM remarried when I was young and we always call him by his name.

When I was younger I called all of my grandparents [name_u]Nana[/name_u] [Surname] & Grandad [Surname]. Now that I’m older I just call them by their first names.

I think that when I have kids my mum will want to be Gran or Granny. That’s what she called her grandmother and they were very close, so I think it would be sweet to carry it on.

I don’t have any kids yet, and as I’m single I’m sure I won’t for at least a decade still, but I think that they’ll call my mom and dad Abuelo and Abuela! [name_f]My[/name_f] stepdad isn’t Hispanic so who knows if he’ll go by Pops or something!

My parents already requested unci and khusi. [name_f]My[/name_f] grandmother and grandfather will be great-unci and great-khusi, which isn’t clever but keeps things evenly on this side of the family. [name_f]My[/name_f] father in law says he’s ok being called by his first name but maybe we’ll find something more respectful for him down the road. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband’s grandmother wants to be called ina-[name_u]Cross[/name_u] ([name_u]Cross[/name_u] being her surname), the same as her grandchildren call her. They’re the first grandchildren and great-grandchildren on both sides, so this has been a serious discussion from the very beginning.

My daughters call my mom “[name_u]Nana[/name_u]” and my dad “Grampy” and they call my fiancee’s parents “Mema” and “Papa”

I’m not going to have kids anytime soon, but I’ll do what my mom did for me. I’ll let my grandkids choose. If my grandparents live long enough to be great-grandparents (I believe in them!) they’ll be Gramma and [name_f]Poppi[/name_f] to my kids, just like they are to me.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] kids call my parents bibi and babu (the Swahili words for grandma and grandpa)! They would use the same for my husband’s relatives but we don’t see them often.

2 Likes