What Do You Call James and William?

Hi!

James and William are on our short list for a first name. If you have or know a little James or little William, what do they go by? James, Jamie, Jim, Jimmy, Jay…? William, Will, Billy, Liam…? Something else? Just curious!

Thank you! :blue_heart:

2 Likes

Up until about a year ago I would have said [name_u]Jamie[/name_u] and [name_u]Will[/name_u], but now I’m feeling kind of mid century and would say [name_m]Jim[/name_m] and [name_m]Bill[/name_m] :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you! I was wondering if some of the mid-century versions might be gaining in popularity.

1 Like

[name_u]Jamie[/name_u] and [name_u]Will[/name_u] for me!

[name_u]Jem[/name_u] and [name_u]Pim[/name_u] would be stretchy, guilty pleasure nicknames!

5 Likes

[name_u]Jem[/name_u] and [name_u]Pim[/name_u] are super cute! :two_hearts:

2 Likes

For [name_u]James[/name_u], all of the little ones I’ve met have been called [name_u]James[/name_u] (and for one: occasionally Jay).

For little [name_m]Williams[/name_m]: [name_u]Liam[/name_u] or [name_u]Will[/name_u], but actually quite a few are just [name_u]William[/name_u]!

[name_f]My[/name_f] personal favorites are [name_u]Will[/name_u] and [name_u]Jem[/name_u], but I also think [name_u]Billy[/name_u] is quite charming in a mid-century way.

1 Like

all of the james i know go by their full name, so no instinctive nickname for me!

the william i know goes by will, but i wouldn’t be surprised by bill.

1 Like

[name_u]Jem[/name_u] or Jimmy/Jimbo for [name_u]James[/name_u] (mixed with just calling him James), and [name_u]Will[/name_u] for [name_u]William[/name_u] - I prefer [name_u]Will[/name_u] to [name_m]Bill[/name_m] and while I like [name_u]Liam[/name_u], I would only choose [name_u]Liam[/name_u] as a nickname if I actually loved [name_u]Liam[/name_u] more than [name_u]William[/name_u] but just wanted the long name there (William) as back up.

1 Like

i know a little james who goes by jimmy and a little william who goes by bill! :newspaper_roll:

i’d personally opt for jem and wilkie! :banjo:

2 Likes

i know of a little james who goes by jamie and a little william who goes by billy! personally for james i like jem and for william i like will

1 Like

I love [name_m]Jimmy[/name_m] for a little [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_u]Billy[/name_u] or [name_u]Wilkie[/name_u] for little [name_u]William[/name_u]. I love when they go by their full names too.

2 Likes

If he is under the age of 50, [name_u]James[/name_u] is just [name_u]James[/name_u]. [name_m]Young[/name_m] [name_m]Williams[/name_m] I know/know of are usually “Will”.

Personally, though, if I had a little [name_u]James[/name_u], he would be “Jem”. :blush:

1 Like

The James’ I’ve met have generally gone by their full name, but I’ve known some who’ve gone by [name_u]Jamie[/name_u], [name_u]Jay[/name_u] and JJ.

For [name_u]William[/name_u], again, most have gone by their full name, but I’ve met some called [name_u]Will[/name_u] and [name_u]Liam[/name_u],

(Jem and [name_u]Wilkie[/name_u] are my favourites though)

2 Likes

I don’t currently know any little Jameses or [name_m]Williams[/name_m], but my personal fave nicknames for these two great classics are [name_u]Jem[/name_u] & [name_u]Will[/name_u]. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The young [name_u]James[/name_u] (25) and [name_u]William[/name_u] (18) I know just go by [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_u]William[/name_u]. I did know 1 [name_u]James[/name_u] who went by [name_m]Jimmy[/name_m] at school, and I know an older [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_u]William[/name_u] (50+) who are 100% [name_m]Jim[/name_m] and [name_m]Bill[/name_m]. Sadly I don’t know any under 18, but I expect that if one of my friends had a baby they’d be more likely to just name them [name_u]Billy[/name_u] than do [name_u]William[/name_u] “Billy” but maybe I’m wrong! If I had a [name_u]James[/name_u] or [name_u]William[/name_u] I would probably just use their full name, though I do like [name_u]Jem[/name_u].

1 Like

I think I would just say [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_u]Will[/name_u] naturally, but I also would like [name_u]Jamie[/name_u] and [name_m]Jim[/name_m] for a [name_u]James[/name_u]

1 Like

I am not big on nicknames, so I’ve only got [name_u]Jem[/name_u] for [name_u]James[/name_u] and Will/Liam for [name_u]William[/name_u].

1 Like

I would instinctively call them [name_f]Jamei[/name_f] and [name_m]Willy[/name_m]. [name_u]Or[/name_u] [name_m]Jam[/name_m] / [name_f]Gem[/name_f] and [name_u]Will[/name_u]. Not a big [name_m]Willy[/name_m] fan :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Firstly [name_u]James[/name_u] + [name_u]William[/name_u] are gorgeous!

[name_f]My[/name_f] brother is [name_u]William[/name_u] we all call him [name_u]Billy[/name_u] which I love honestly [name_u]Billy[/name_u] is an adorable nickname and suits him wonderfully.

[name_u]James[/name_u] is a family name and every [name_u]James[/name_u] in my family is known as [name_m]Jimmy[/name_m]. Again love [name_m]Jimmy[/name_m]!

1 Like

[name_u]Jamie[/name_u] and [name_u]Will[/name_u] would be the most intuitive for me.

1 Like