What do you hate most about your own name?

Teachers never spell/ed my name right. When it was the first day of school, they would call me [name]Sheila[/name]. I was like, my name isn’t [name]Sheila[/name]! It’s Shealah! Other than that, I like my name a lot, especially because I have awesome middle names, and if I don’t wanna go by Shealah I can go by [name]Shay[/name]…

My name is [name]Courtney[/name] and I have always disliked it. The harsh sounds, lack of nn’s, the 1980’s vibe (I was born in the 80’s) and the American bimbo/cheerleader associations.

On the plus side, it isn’t super common, but people can say it and spell it easily which is great! I don’t tend to get any weird looks due to my name and it hasn’t held me back professionally. I think it’s the righ

right* mix of known but not hugely popular - a mix I hope to replicate when I have kids!

I’ve never really like the sound of my name, or the way it rolls of your tongue , but i guess that mightbe because of the way i hear most people say it ( they kind of throw the third syllable outof their mouth and it ends up sounding nasally…as weird and pointless as that sounds). And now, with its recent surge in popularity, thats just the icing on the cake.

My name is way too common!! It was the most popular name the year I was born and throughout most of the 80’s. And I hate when people I’ve just met call me [name]Jen[/name]. No, it’s [name]Jennifer[/name], not ever [name]Jen[/name]!

Annoying spelling and unisex and quite unusual for my time, I always get a double take from people…I wish they just went with [name]Grace[/name], then n on the end is unnecessary and just plain annoying. But I think my mom and dad did a pretty good job, it could be a lot worst then Gracen [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] :slight_smile:

What I never liked about my name ([name]Lynn[/name]) was people frequently commenting, “Oh, isn’t that just used as a nickname for [name]Linda[/name]?” or “I though [name]Lynn[/name] was just a middle name.” …Nope, it’s a real name, surprise!

It’s virtually impossible to pronounce unless you’re from Scandinavia.
It’s only really good if you’re Norwegian, Swedes and Danes have different intonation.

And not only does it have one of those uniquely Scandinavian letters, it also has two silent ones to add to the confusion.

I wrote it down for some lovely English ladies ones (one of them was a [name]Philippa[/name]) and they said it looked like it should be pronounced something like [name]Ashley[/name], which I hate.

I also hate that my sister has the wonderfully exotic and simple and sweet and recently very international name [name]Siri[/name].
I’m Åshild by the way.

There are really only three things I dislike about my name, [name]Kelli[/name] [name]Gabrielle[/name]. All of which have to do with my first name.

1. It looks uneven/unfinished without my last name or middle name.
  2. It is constantly being misspelled.
  3. It’s not excessively popular by any means but it’s not very original either.

I do applaud my parents for name flow, though. All three of my names (last name too!) include the “ell” sound at the end making my name very easy to say. I also applaud them for giving me “the best of both worlds” by backing up a fun, silly first name with a serious, professional middle name. Balance is always key when naming a child and I think it’s important to not only give names you like but names you can see him or her using in the real, adult world. Despite those three little tidbits, I am very happy with my name-- especially my middle name which is what I hope to go by one day.

I hate that it simply is a type of flower, nothing beyond that, and is so short with my surname. And it’s boring, and the only nickname is a really childish one.

My name is [name]Reine[/name]. I’m fourteen and I hate everything about it. Who gives an American girl a French word name that NO [name]ONE[/name] can pronounce? Worst of all, my parents pronounce it ‘rainy’, which I doubt is the correct pronounciation. I’ve gotten fourteen different pronounciations in all. And my fifth grade music teacher always called me [name]Raine[/name]; I gave up correcting her after the first quarter. It is a family name (my dad’s mom’s maiden name). I was almost named [name]Alice[/name], [name]Amanda[/name] or [name]Zoe[/name], names I would have infinitely preferred.
The only thing I do like about it is the meaning: queen. However, I wish my parents had modified it a bit and did [name]Reina[/name] (Spanish for queen, not French).

[name]Even[/name] though its supposed to be a “classic” it sounds so dated to me, and I hate that. Like it belongs on a middle aged woman and not seventeen year old me. But most of all I hate hate Hate having my brother’s first name as my middle name. They at least could have given me a solid feminine middle name to fall back on, but no…

I like my name, [name]Laci[/name], because I actually don’t hear it too often, and I think it fits me. Spunky and sweet. :slight_smile: I get the nickname [name]Lace[/name] a lot, which I think is cute. The part that always drove me nuts as a kid though was that no one could [name]EVER[/name] spell it right. I got [name]Lacy[/name], [name]Lacey[/name] a lot. Never [name]Laci[/name] on the first try. Also, I never could find it on personalized items like pencils, which sometimes made me sad. The most annoying part though was when I worked at Disneyland and had a name tag. There were always lots of foreign tourists, usually [name]Asian[/name], who would read it and pronounce it “[name]Lassie[/name].” I’m not a dog, haha! I wonder why it’s mainly Asians who read it that way. Are the letters stressed differently in their translations?

I don’t really hate anything, but my name is incredibly “L” heavy. First name: [name]Rachel[/name]; Middle name [name]Ellen[/name]. When I married, I added to that as my surname now begins with an L. It’s a little much :slight_smile:

My name is [name]Nora[/name], and I don’t mind it, when people get it right. However, since I was about five I’ve been correcting people who always make the same two errors. Firstly, my name is constantly spelled with an h, even though my spelling is far more common. Blame it on [name]Norah[/name] [name]Jones[/name], I suppose - she exploded into popularity when I was in kindergarten, and while I love her music (especially the new stuff) I’m thoroughly sick of having my name spelled like hers. It really can’t help that our surnames are very similar - add a letter and change a letter in [name]Jones[/name] and you’ve got my surname. Sigh. My second problem has been a problem for me for as long as I can remember. I’m a fairly quiet person, so whenever I say my name people seem to hear [name]Laura[/name]. It’s infuriating after a while. Teachers at school, new people I meet, people at Starbucks - after spending my entire life correcting people it’s become absolutely maddening.

[name]Don[/name]'t get me wrong, though, I like my name quite a lot. It’s pretty and classic and while I used to hate it as a child I’ve grown used to it - actually, I’ve been told it suits me quite well. :slight_smile:

My name is [name]Margaret[/name] and what I dislike the most, is when people pronounce it as ‘mahr-gret’.

Err hello there, there is an A between the G and R, so I think you’ll find it should be ‘mahr-ga-ret’.

It bugs me when people miss letters out of names in the pronunciation at the best of times ([name]William[/name] is will-ee-am, not will-yam), and more so when it’s my own name.

My full name is [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Mary[/name], so some of the other kids at school think it’s funny to call me Eminem, and even Slim [name]Shady[/name]. Yeah real funny. That REALLY bugs me.

My name is [name]Jessica[/name].

The thing I hate most about it is that it is sooo common, growing up and even now I am always “[name]Jessica[/name] B”. I also HATE the nickname “[name]Jessie[/name]” but everyone seems to think it’s alright to shorten it to that.

My name is [name]Jacqueline[/name] ([name]Renee[/name] is my middle name hence my username).

At times I like it and think it’s classy and elegant but other times I can’t stand it. For one thing is so freakin’ long. I may sound like a hypocrite because a lot of my own favorite names are on the long-ish side (like [name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Evangeline[/name]) but it’s such a pain to write out on school papers. I remember when I was in kindergarten and I told my teacher my name, and she was like, “Wow, [name]Jacqueline[/name] - That’s a DINOSAUR name!” She meant that as a joke because it was so long, but of course I took it the wrong way, being only 5 years old.

Also, EVERYONE spells it wrong. You can’t blame them really, because there ARE about a zillion ways to spell it. I like that mine is the authentic spelling, but the unfortunate thing is everyone spells it like Jackalyn, [name]Jacquelyn[/name], [name]Jackeline[/name], blah blah blah. Very annoying.

I usually get called “[name]Jackie[/name]” by everyone. I don’t mind it too much but it gets annoying sometimes. I just find it kind of stupid. And of course everyone ends up spelling THAT wrong too. I get “[name]Jacky[/name]” all the time. SO. AGGRAVATING.

I’m glad that I wasn’t given a very common name at least, but I do remember being little and wanting a nice short name like [name]Sarah[/name] or something. Now I don’t mind as much.

My name is [name]Erin[/name]. I’ve learned to love my nae and the fact that it’s not very common where I’m from, I love the Irish connection too.

Growing up I hated that I didn’t have a nickname, my siblings would call me Er and would extend that to teasing me calling me air-head.

I can’t stand when people say is that with an E or and A. [name]Aaron[/name] is exclusively a male spelling to me, and if I’m obviously female, why are you asking?

I also can’t stand my middle name, [name]Marie[/name]…super common and just filler. It’s the middle name of nearly every one of my cousins…so uninspired and unoriginal.

My name is [name]Shana[/name]. I like my name for the most part. I pronounce it [name]Shan[/name]-uh, it rhymes with banana. These are the pros and cons I associate with my name:

Pros:

1. It’s uncommon.

2. It’s simple and easy to spell.

3. It looks nice on paper.

4. It doesn’t have anything negative which rhymes with it. [name]Banana[/name] doesn’t count as it’s not insulting.

5. It has no negative associations to a character or celebrity.

6. I liked the [name]Legend[/name] of Dragoon character in the PS1 game and I liked the anime Shakugan No [name]Shana[/name].

7. It sounds nice.

8. You can’t make an easy nickname from it.

9. I prefer it to [name]Jessica[/name] which is the other name my mom had in mind for me.

10. I like it more than my sister’s name but I may be biased.

11. It suits me.

Cons

1. People love to mispronounce it as [name]Shay[/name]-nuh or [name]Shawn[/name]-uh even after I tell them my name. I also get [name]Shannon[/name] a lot because people are notoriously stubborn.

2. It doesn’t have the classy feel of some more common, traditional names, though thankfully it’s not trashy either.

3. The majority of people try and spell it with two n’s instead of one.

4. I think it has a somewhat dated feel because it was more popular in the 1980’s than now.

5. I wish it had more of a historical background.

6. It seems to be a variation of other names or possibly a nickname for [name]Shannon[/name] rather than being a stand-alone name.

My middle name, [name]Aileen[/name], can be analyzed in the same fashion.

Pros:

1. It’s unusual.

2. It’s my paternal grandmother’s name.

3. It’s not offensive or embarrassing.

4. It has Irish origins.

5. It’s not a filler middle name.

Cons:

1. My family pronounces it [name]Al[/name]-Leen which I feel like is incorrect. [name]How[/name] do you bypass the i and go straight to the l?

2. I had poor relations with my grandmother.

3. I don’t care for how it looks on paper.