What do you hate most about your own name?

Okay, so this thread was inspired by many, many other threads. Yet it’s completely different from each.
I’ve actually wanted to start a thread like this for a bit, but I’ve been very busy lately with school and the surprisingly large loads of homework that come with it. But now I finally have a chance to.

We probably all dislike something about our own name–whether it’s too long or too short, misspelled or spelled in a boring way. It also may be [name]WAY[/name] too popular, or [name]WAY[/name] too rare.
So tell me–I’d love to hear your story!

A couple of things:

As you can see from my signature, most of my favourite names are long and frilly. My friends say I would totally fit in in the 19th century :stuck_out_tongue: and it seems my taste in names somewhat reflects that. My name, [name]Lauren[/name], is far from that.

But I hate how many Berries consider it dated and used-to-be-trendy. (even if it is, it’s not a great feeling) Where I live, it doesn’t seem to be. In fact, I used to like it because I thought it was unique- I was almost always the only [name]Lauren[/name] wherever I go, though there were some Lauras.

But well, in general, I’m happy with my name.

• [name]Brittany[/name]
    it’s time has passed haha very cliche 90’s name.
    didn’t enjoy my very UNcreative peers calling me [name]Britney[/name] Spears during elementary school

the name is fine i guess but i never really felt like a [name]Brittany[/name]…my mom chose pretty popular-at-the-time for all of us.

i’ve only gone to school with 2-3 other [name]Brittany[/name]'s and none were in my class or even my age so that’s the plus i suppose lol

[name]Even[/name] though I love my name, there are two times in my life I’ve disliked it…

1. Children cannot pronounce [name]Caroline[/name]. Most of the time, it sounds like Cow-Whine. Once they finally learn to say it, it still isnt over because I was growing up in the 90s when [name]Carolyn[/name] was more common. My fifth grade teacher called me [name]Carolyn[/name] for the entire year even after correcting her a thousand times.

2. Showing up in homeroom my senior year of high school when Outkast released Roses. I swear someone should have warned the Carolines of the world to stay home. Never again would it be annoying when someone launches into Sweet [name]Caroline[/name]…

@ [name]Caroline[/name], you poor poor girl. Roses is not the song to be serenaded with!!

My name is [name]Kimberly[/name], born in the end of the 80’s, not the 70’s.
My issues start with everyone assuming my middle name is [name]Ann[/name], which it is not, although, I recently found out it was the close runner up to [name]Irene[/name], because [name]Anne[/name] is my great grandmothers name, on my moms, moms side.
I was called [name]Kimmy[/name] Gibbler as a child, those of you who know, know why that’s not fun :frowning: And more recently as an adult by another immature adult.
I honestly dislike the sound of [name]Kimberly[/name], kim-burly, burly burly burly, I don’t know, it just sounds completely foreign coming out of my mouth, like it doesn’t belong there. I go almost exclusively by [name]Kim[/name], very very few people called me [name]Kimberly[/name], maybe just my oldest brother now.
I was the only [name]Kim[/name] in my school (small school!), but one of 3 Kims in my barracks at summer camp, which was confusing, but since I was named after the popularity swing, most of the Kims I know are about a decade older than me.

I don’t hate anything about my first name :slight_smile: I’m perfectly content with it. I just dislike it when people call me [name]Diane[/name] instead of [name]Diana[/name]. Is it really that hard to add the extra -a sound?

However, I dislike my middle name, [name]Rose[/name], but only because it’s one of my favorite names and I would love to use it as a first name for a future child, but I hate naming kids after people (big pet peeve of mine), so it’s out of the question. It’s also considered a “filler” middle just because it’s used a lot…

[name]LOVE[/name] this thread. I think this is my home thread! I hate nearly everything about my name. Here goes:

• [name]Josie[/name] [name]Kate[/name]

1.It basically has nil nice nn. [name]Jo[/name] and [name]Jose[/name] are the only ones really and Ihate them (and I don’t suit them)

2.Everyone thinks it is short for [name]Josephine[/name] when it isn’t (I kinda wish my parents had named me [name]Josephine[/name] because I could at least be Sepphie.

1. My fn and mn don’t go together as colours. (synesthesia) bright blue and baby pink isn’t the best combo.

2. I dislike the ohs sound in it.

3. It makes me extremely jealous of my sisters name [name]Theadora[/name] (nn [name]Thea[/name]) and that just adds to all the other things I am jealous of them for. Reasons her name is better than mine:

• It sounds nicer
  • It has a mile long list of nn
  • It has a story (my parents were at a play and the lead character ( a very good actress) was called [name]Theadora[/name]. Her middle name [name]Ruth[/name] is honoring my Grandma
  • Its unusual

OK rant over

I’ve learned to love my name, even though it’s a guys name and I’m not named after anyone like my sisters ([name]Mikaela[/name] [name]Anne[/name] and [name]Shaylee[/name] [name]Grace[/name]).

[name]Israel[/name] [name]Sarah[/name].
The meanings kind of cool, it means Gods Chosen [name]One[/name]/[name]Princess[/name].
All the Israels I’ve met (30ish, 2 years old and a BOY in my grade) have all been guys.
I go by [name]Izzy[/name] for EVERYTHING though, but kind of wish I went with [name]Rae[/name] or Rael. And everyone assumes [name]Izzy[/name] is short for [name]Isabella[/name]. :confused:
I don’t mind it now though, but I hated it when I was little because I didn’t think it sounded pretty.

My name is [name]Clare[/name], and the thing I dislike most is that there’s no nickname potential with my name. It used to bother me that people always spell it [name]Claire[/name] or [name]Clair[/name], but I’m over that. It can also be bothersome because I’ll sometimes hear someone say a word that ends in an ‘air’ sound, and I’ll think they’re calling me. For example, someone a few feet away, someone will say to someone else, “That’s over there,” and I’ll turn around looking for who said my name. :> I love my name though, so these are really minor annoyances.

I’ve grown to love my name, [name]Jessica[/name], but it took a few years for me to do so. The one thing I don’t like about it is the popularity, other than that I think it’s a fine, well-rounded name! I love my middle name, [name]Jane[/name]. because I’m named after my late grandmother and it will always give me that connection to her.

My name is [name]Kimberly[/name] as well.
Why would people assume your mn is [name]Ann[/name]? I actually know a [name]Kim[/name]-[name]Leanne[/name], but that’s a totally different name.

I always hated [name]Kimmy[/name] as well because of the horrible connection to Gibbler during my childhood. But I never really had a problem with people calling me that.

I had the same experience as you in not knowing any other [name]Kim[/name]'s as a child and then knowing several later on in life.

I also agree that the -burly- ending is pretty ugly.
When I was a kid I hated being called [name]Kim[/name] because I said it was a “Chinese boys name” which is vaguely wrong enough to be sort of cute. But I got over that pretty fast and I’ve been only [name]Kim[/name] since middle school.

I’ve known/know a few other [name]Kim[/name]'s most in their 20’s and 30’s. I’ve only ever met one [name]Kim[/name] over 40.

I don’t hate my name, but I don’t particularly adore it either. But it rhymes with my husband’s which is sorta fun :slight_smile:

[name]Nichole[/name]

It’s always misspelled with out the H

[name]Nicole[/name] is way too popular and I was one of five in my class
But what bothers me the most is it dosent mean anything…I’m not named after anyone. My mom just liked it.
That being said, I’m rarely called [name]Nichole[/name] as an adult…everyone calls me [name]Nic[/name] and my family calls me Cola.
Suggestions for parents 1. No strange spellings 2 not too common 3. Make it mean something 4. Give them nn options

I like more things about my name than I hate, but my list is:

• I don’t like the more negative “trash” associations with [name]Amber[/name].
  • My primary school nickname was Tree Sap for a day once. But I do love being named after a fossil. :slight_smile:
  • People can never say or spell my middle name, which is [name]Cait[/name], we pronounce it as [name]Kate[/name]. I’m not expecting them to get it right but even if I spell it out loud, C-A-I-T, people can be lazy and just put [name]Cate[/name] or [name]Kait[/name].
  • A lot of people say they like it but personally I’m not crazy about the spelling of [name]Cait[/name], it reminds me of [name]Caitlin[/name] which isn’t a bad name but it’s popular where I live. I prefer [name]Kate[/name], [name]Cate[/name], or even [name]Catherine[/name].

My name is [name]Amanda[/name]. I don’t like meeting other people with my name, but other than that, the only thing that bothers me is the whole “A man - duh!” joke, which got old in like fourth grade. But I don’t really mind that. I actually quite like my name :smiley:

My name is [name]Natalie[/name]. I don’t have a problem with it, really, it’s just that when people call me Naddie, Nad or… well, whenever they substitute the T for D. My main peeve with that is the “nad” part, which is slang for something rather gross. So, as you can imagine, I fervently insist on [name]Natalie[/name], [name]Nata[/name], [name]Nattie[/name], or even just plain [name]Nat[/name].

My name is [name]Kathryn[/name] [name]Lucy[/name]

The most annoying thing it that given that there are so many spelling variations of my name, I ALWAYS have to spell it out.

“That’s [name]Kathryn[/name], with a “K”, a-t-h-R-Y-N”

I think i’m just completely desensitized to my name, I don’t feel particularly strongly about it. As for NN’s mum called me [name]Kathy[/name], until I was old enough to tell her not to (around 3 i think!). I have on friend I used to work with, who calls me [name]Kat[/name], and that’s it. I’m [name]Kathryn[/name] to everyone else.

My middle name is actually after a cat my mum used to have! I think that’s pretty cool actually, she sounded like an awesome Puss!

My biggest pet peeve with my name ([name]Erin[/name]) is that it’s totally seperate from [name]Aaron[/name]. I don’t know how many people think that my name is [name]Aaron[/name] since they’re pronounced the same. It’s not. I hated when we had to do a name study and my teacher listed my name as a feminine form of [name]Aaron[/name]. I was quick to correct her. A much smaller annoyance is spelling. I’ve had my name spelled [name]Arin[/name], [name]Eryn[/name], and Airn ([name]Air[/name]-in). Not really a big deal to me but it can get annoying.

My middle name, that’s a different story ([name]Elizabeth[/name]). It’s WAAAY too popular as a middle name and it seems very filler to me. Especially when my parents admit that they put no thought into my (or my brother’s) middle name. They just picked something that sounded good. That’s my biggest gripe with my name. Not too mention the [name]Liz[/name], [name]Lizzy[/name], [name]Lizzy[/name]-[name]Beth[/name] and the slightly more creative Izz/[name]Izzy[/name]. I also get called [name]Lizzy[/name] [name]Borden[/name], by my dad no less. But the filler-ness bothers me the most.

No one says it right on the first try, well hardly. I really don’t see what’s so difficult, but apparently it’s hard to say and get right.
Also the misspelling, argh. I hate it!

I don’t like that it’s a very…non-rolling type of name, if that makes any sense. It doesn’t roll off the tongue imo. It’s a name you have to emphasize saying a bit.

I HATE the [name]Mal[/name]- syllable at the beginning. [name]Mal[/name]- means bad in so many languages, and it’s just not fun to have.

My name is [name]Jaime[/name] and I have always disliked it - I have always hated having a unisex name. I’ve had boy [name]Jamie[/name]'s and girl [name]Jamie[/name]'s in my classes growing up and it annoyed me to have a boy in my class with the same name. [name]Add[/name] to that, my mom spelled it a little differently so I have to correct people a lot. Last, I have been to Spain and in Spanish-speaking areas of the US where people pronounce it [name]Hi[/name]-may until they realize I am a girl. I am determined not to give any of my kids a unisex name (my son’s name is firmly a boy’s name). However I think unisex names work well if it isn’t a super common name - mine was just common in the 80s so I never had a chance!

I love my name because it’s so uncommon (at least for my age group). There are a few things I dislike though:

1. It is IMPOSSIBLE to have a nice/pretty signature with only 3 letters, one of which is a Z
  2. I HATE when people call me “zoh” and then ask why I don’t have a y at the end
  3. any time someone says something similar, [name]Joey[/name], [name]Chloe[/name], “so he…” etc, I think they are saying my name
  4. Not a fan of Zowie [name]Bowie[/name] or [name]Zoey[/name] 101 references
  5. Older people still ask me if [name]Zoe[/name] is my full name or even a real name at all

In general though I like it :slight_smile: