What do you prefer for a girl?

Deciding between [name_f]Margo[/name_f], [name_f]Lexie[/name_f], McKenna, and [name_f]Abbie[/name_f]. Please give opinions(not new name suggestions as I definitley want one of these).

2 Likes

They seem a very eclectic mix of names! [name_f]My[/name_f] favourites list is the same :blush:

For me, my personal favourite from the list is [name_f]Abbie[/name_f]. It seems like a “hardy annual”. Never too popular or too unfamiliar. I don’t personally tie it to any one specific era or connotation. She feels cool and informal and current whilst having the historical grounding of an old established name.

I like [name_f]Margo[/name_f]. It’s an elegant name with a beautiful meaning (pearl) and it reminds me of [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_m]Robbie[/name_m], the dancer [name_f]Margot[/name_f] Fonteyn and the singer [name_f]Margo[/name_f] Guryan.
The others aren’t my personal style and don’t appeal to me that much. I prefer [name_f]Lexie[/name_f] and [name_f]Abbie[/name_f] as nicknames rather than full names.

Wouldn’t [name_f]Margot[/name_f] be pronounced mar-got?

No, [name_f]Margot[/name_f] is traditionally pronounced Mar-go.

[name_f]Margo[/name_f] is my favorite by far! [name_f]Beautiful[/name_f], elegant, sweet and feminine. [name_f]Margot[/name_f] is my favorite spelling.

[name_f]Lexie[/name_f] and [name_f]Abbie[/name_f] are cute but as nicknames. I can imagine an adult woman named [name_f]Abbie[/name_f], but not [name_f]Lexie[/name_f]. McKenna is interesting and has a lovely meaning. However, it gives me the same vibe as [name_f]Mckenzie[/name_f], [name_f]Madison[/name_f] and [name_f]Madeline[/name_f], which I see as a little dated. I also don’t adore that it has multiple spelling alternatives and it can be misspelled sometimes.

[name_f]Margo[/name_f]! it’s sweet without being too frilly. [name_f]Lexie[/name_f] is more like a nickname to me

[name_f]My[/name_f] vote is McKenna! :hugs:

I think it depends on your culture/language? I believe in [name_m]German[/name_m] the T is pronounced, but in [name_m]French[/name_m] and [name_f]English[/name_f] it’s silent.

Now that I’m looking it up I can see that is the traditional setting. However, I just think Mar-got when I look at [name_f]Margot[/name_f] and don’t think I can undo it? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it would be a major issue spelling it [name_f]Margo[/name_f]?

[name_f]Margo[/name_f] or McKenna would be my vote - with McKenna just coming out on top.
[name_f]Lexie[/name_f] & [name_f]Abbi[/name_f] are too nicknamey for me, sorry.

[name_m]Welcome[/name_m]! For me it would depend on siblings but I would go with [name_f]Lexie[/name_f] and then [name_f]Abbie[/name_f].

i love margo !! she seems so effortlessly cool, and the sleeker -o spelling (distinct from the more common ‘margot’) gives her a really zippy modern edge. definitely my favourite of your choices <3

I really like margo! I think it’s a beautiful name and very timeless. It’s cute!

[name_f]Abbie[/name_f] and [name_f]Lexie[/name_f] both feel more like nicknames to me even though I know they can be stand alone names too. I like [name_f]Alexis[/name_f] or [name_f]Alexa[/name_f] but not [name_f]Lexie[/name_f] by itself. McKenna just isn’t my style. It’s very trendy right now.

McKenna gets my vote! [name_f]Love[/name_f] [name_m]Kenny[/name_m] and [name_f]Kenna[/name_f] too as nn’s :yellow_heart:

[name_f]Margo[/name_f]

[name_f]Margo[/name_f]! But I’m biased it’s my middle name

Fave to least with some thoughts:

[name_f]Margo[/name_f] → vintage and charming, with a hint of sass too

[name_f]Lexie[/name_f] → bright and cool, sweet but spiky

McKenna → sharp and rugged with a bit of spark

[name_f]Abbie[/name_f] → it’s okay; nice enough but lacks the sparkle of your others.

[name_f]Margo[/name_f] would be my choice, but [name_f]Lexie[/name_f] is great too

[name_m]Favorite[/name_m] to least

1. [name_f]Margo[/name_f] but prefer [name_f]Margot[/name_f] spelling
  2. McKenna
  3. [name_f]Abbie[/name_f]
  4. [name_f]Lexie[/name_f] - don’t like at all sorry

These 4 names feel very different to me. I think it would depend on what you are looking for in your daughter’s name.

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] is an up-and-comer name that I think will continue to rise in popularity. It may or may not take [name_f]Margo[/name_f] along for the ride, but I feel like either spelling may end up feeling like a very “now” name - as in, tied to this generation of kids.

[name_f]Lexie[/name_f] is bubbly and energetic. I think it fits in well with names today, but has a distinctive sound (for a girl’s name) that helps it stand out. I think it’s fairly well established as a stand-alone name to not cause any issues (people always assuming it’s short for something).

I think McKenna’s peak of popularity has passed, along with similar names like [name_f]Mackenzie[/name_f] and [name_f]Madison[/name_f]. It may feel tied to the early 2000s more than today, so your daughter might share her name with older teenagers more than kids her own age. That’s not a bad thing, just something to be aware of.

[name_f]Abbie[/name_f] is completely charming and lovely, but I don’t really see it as an independent name (I may be biased because I love the full [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] more than Abbie).

I think overall my choice would be [name_f]Lexie[/name_f].