What do you think of Ariel?

See the results of this poll: What do you think of Ariel?

Respondents: 24 (This poll is closed)

• Like it: 18 (75%)
  • Try again: 6 (25%)

I love [name]Ariel[/name] it is so feminine, a really pretty name that has lots of pizzazz and style and isn’t overwhelmingly popular like [name]Emma[/name].

I love that it sounds soft without being overly frilly.

I love it! My husband sings to me, songs from the [name]Little[/name] Mermaid when I mention it though!

I think [name]Ariel[/name] is a beautiful name!
My friend’s gorgeous baby girl is named [name]Ariel[/name] and it suits her perfectly! She is the only [name]Ariel[/name] I know so I don’t think it’s too popular but still it’s not too rare.

It’s actually originally a boy’s name, so I wouldn’t use it… what’s wrong with [name]Arielle[/name]?

I like the idea of [name]Ariel[/name], but for some reason 'L’s at the end of names bother me. I also think it is a bit close if there is already an [name]Ari[/name] in the family. [name]How[/name] about:

[name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Aubrey[/name]
[name]Annika[/name]
[name]Arcadia[/name]
[name]Adelle[/name]
[name]Auden[/name]
[name]Arden[/name]

I don’t mind that it was originally a boy’s name… I think The [name]Little[/name] Mermaid officially tipped the scale for the girls :slight_smile:

[name]Arielle[/name] is okay, but I would pronounce it differently, more like ahr-ee-[name]EL[/name]. I’m going for the less-frilly [name]AIR[/name]-ee-ul. [name]Do[/name] you pronounce these spellings the same way?

I like your suggestions :slight_smile: [name]Aurelia[/name] and [name]Adele[/name] (my grandmother’s name) are on our list, and I really like [name]Aurora[/name].

Sigh… I know [name]Ari[/name] and [name]Ariel[/name] are close. But we’re not big on nicknames and my neice is called by both her first and middle more than half the time. And they start with different sounds… maybe I’m just trying to hard to hold on? :slight_smile:

I had a friend in college named Istvan (pron. Ish-van) and his sister was [name]Ariel[/name] and she def. pron. it like you said, [name]Ah[/name]-ree-[name]EL[/name], which lends nicely to the nn [name]Ari[/name]. I like that better than the other pron, [name]Air[/name]-ee-ul like the little mermaid.

I am actually an [name]Ariel[/name], and I pronounce it ahr-ee-[name]ELLE[/name]. Most times, though, I wish I was an [name]Arielle[/name], as I think my spelling is mostly associated with the [name]Little[/name] Mermaid, who had a completely different pronunciation all together.

If you’re going for ar-ee-uhl, then [name]Ariel[/name] is the way you want to go. Ahr-ee-[name]ELLE[/name] and [name]Arielle[/name] is better.

Note: Growing up, no one could really pronounce my name right. :slight_smile: It was very hard to get it into peoples heads that it was pronounced just like the letters R E L, emphasis on the L.

[name]Ariel[/name] (i prn. as air-ee-uhl) has been my fav. girls name since i was 6 and yes i admit its because i had seen the little mermaid…i’d always planned to name my daughter [name]Ariel[/name]…its such a sparkly, pretty name but simple at the same time
and i luv its association w/the movie (many ppl dont tho) any little girl would luv that
but its not too frilly sounding so a grown woman would sound fine w/the name…
but when i actually got pregnant when i would say ariel i would think of areola weird i know lol…but i think the [name]Arielle[/name] ( i prn. as ar-ee-elle) spelling is even more beautiful and it doesnt make me think areola

I do immediately think of the little mermaid, but it’s not a bad association! [name]Ariel[/name] is girly without being [name]OTT[/name], I do also like [name]Arielle[/name].

It’s just so [name]Little[/name] Mermaid.