What do you think of Asher?

Alright, my husband and I were settled on [name]Asher[/name] for a boys name…until my [name]MIL[/name] and my dad opened their mouths! They mentioned that they thought kids would call him [name]Ash[/name] then shorten that again to A**. Needless to say, I wanted to smack them both!

So I wanted to know what some other name fans thought about the name [name]Asher[/name]! If you love it, I wanna know! If you hate it, I wanna know! In fact, please tell me why. If there’s an overwhelming association with the name [name]Asher[/name] that’s bad, I can understand not using it. However, if its just my [name]MIL[/name] and dad, then I can live with that, because they’ll love the kid no matter what!

Thanks in advance for whoever responds :)!

Ugh, don’t listen to what others say…he is your child, your son. [name]Asher[/name] is a great name! As far as nicknames go, people will do what they want. I don’t really think that people would actually go as far as to call your son A**. With the name [name]Ashley[/name], which carries the same nn ([name]Ash[/name]), no one uses A** as a nickname.

I really like this name. [name]Don[/name]'t let people’s opinions get to you. If you do they could possibly lead you away from a name you really like and wanted to use.

Some names are just asking to be made fun of, but [name]Asher[/name] with that nickname is something that would never occur to me. It’s a cute name and since you and your husband are agreed USE IT! It’s so hard to agree on names! I’m sure your family would find a reason to make fun of any name at this point in time. It will be a different story when he is born. They will love [name]Asher[/name] (and his name) when he arrives!

:slight_smile: I completely agree with all three of you! And normally I wouldn’t be nervous about what other people say, unless its my family. Then there’s the fact that the [name]MIL[/name] and my dad said the same thing on different occasions without talking with one another. That’s when the hubby got nervous. He figured if both of them came up with it, then other people would too. But I agree that I never would have thought of that! Thanks for the help so far!

Yeah that’s just an example of people being stupid. [name]Asher[/name] has a lot of great things going for it. A wonderful meaning, a biblical background, and an -er ending that makes it sound very modern. It’s a fantastic name. Really the only problem with it is that a lot of other people are noticing how good it is, and it’s rising quickly. If you like [name]Asher[/name] you should definitely use it. People will call him [name]Ash[/name], but nobody is going to call him Ass. I’ve never heard an [name]Ashley[/name] called that purely because of her name.

[name]Asher[/name] is a great name. Pick a name you love. There will always be someone with a different opinion. Also I like meanings of names and [name]Asher[/name] means “happy”.