What do you think of Ciel?

I recently discovered [name]Ciel[/name]. I think it has a pretty sound and I like the meaning of “sky” in French. [name]Do[/name] you think it’s too out there to use in the U.S., since I am not French and have no French heritage. ( I took French in high school if that counts-haha )

When I look at this name I want to say [name]Cecile[/name] or [name]Celia[/name]. [name]Ciel[/name] seems incomplete.

Pretty. I believe its what [name]Niki[/name] [name]Taylor[/name] named her daughter.

I don’t like the sound - like a seal. Not the cutest animals, either :slight_smile:

I don’t like it. If she ever went to [name]France[/name] it would be seen as a noun, not just a pretty sound like it does in English. Plus, it’s actually a masculine noun in French, which seems a little odd to me. [name]Cecile[/name], [name]Cecily[/name], and [name]Cecilia[/name] are all gorgeous alternatives ([name]Ciel[/name] could even be nickname for them).

I’m torn. I think French is pretty and the sky is pretty. However, it’s a word name in English - that is, not a French name, but an English-speaking culture’s idea of another source for word names, that are less obvious than using a name like [name]Sky[/name]. [name]Skye[/name] or [name]Skyler[/name] or [name]Schuyler[/name], which actually means “scholar.” If someone in [name]France[/name] named their baby “scholar,” and then moved here, wouldn’t you think that was weird? Anyway.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Lucille[/name]? I was surprised when I first started posting here that someone suggested it. It is, I think more fashionable to choose [name]Lucy[/name] or [name]Luciana[/name], and [name]Lucille[/name] is kind of in limbo - except I found that I love the sound of it. It’s the French form of [name]Lucilla[/name], which is diminutive/endearment of [name]Lucia[/name] (Latin/Italian), and means “light” like the sun or a lamp, not the opposite of heavy. I think it’s just adorable.

I love it!!!

I think it’s very pretty, but I’d worry about pronunciation issues. I love how see-elle sounds, but I agree that something about it does look incomplete. I do think it’s beautiful, though.

Take care! :slight_smile: