What do you think of Luella?

We have a baby girl due in [name]April[/name], and we’re still working on a name. My husband really likes [name]Luella[/name], and I have to admit that I do think it sounds quite pretty when you say it out loud. It seems to have a redneck vibe to it, though, although I’m not sure why. What would you think of a girl named [name]Luella[/name]?

I think [name]Luella[/name] is cute and has a girly double name feel to it. That is also the reason I think it could sound a little “redneck” if you aren’t careful. Here are some other names that seem to have the same vibe:

[name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Emiliana[/name]
[name]Evelina[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
Margiana
[name]Vera[/name]

[name]Hi[/name]! I like [name]Luella[/name] a lot! I love its vintage feel, and think it’s a very sweet. name. I do think it has a “country” feel, but country in a good way, along the lines of [name]Mabel[/name], [name]Hazel[/name], or [name]Mae[/name].

I would think of a [name]Luella[/name] as being very sweet and innocent, with a big heart and a warm smile. I picture someone charming.

If you’re not set on [name]Luella[/name], you may also like:

[name]Adelia[/name]
[name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name]/[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]/[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Della[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Mirabel[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Tess[/name]
[name]Viola[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Luella[/name] is quirky and cool. I tend to love more classic names, but I think [name]Luella[/name] is lots of fun. I love [name]Leona[/name] which is similar to [name]Luella[/name]. Somehow [name]Leona[/name] feels so warm and substantial. [name]Luella[/name] is fluffy and frilly and retro.

Would’ve ignored it, but I actually like it.

Also:
[name]Marielle[/name]
[name]Larissa[/name]/[name]Lorissa[/name]

I do like [name]Luella[/name], and I think it’s rather sweet, but I can understand your reservations and admittedly it’s not a name I would use myself.
I think it leaves something to be desired in terms of sophistication and it’s not the kind of name that you can give your child and feel confident that they will be okay with having this name for the rest of their lives. There’s nothing wrong with the name, but I could easily see how someone might be less than comfortable having to introduce themselves as [name]Luella[/name].

I think a good idea for you is to give her a name which naturally lends itself to the nn [name]Luella[/name], but allows for other options as well.
[name]Louise[/name], [name]Louisa[/name], [name]Lucinda[/name], and [name]Lucille[/name] are all beautiful “lou”-names, which if paired with an el or ella- middle name could offer the option of a [name]Luella[/name] nn.
Some suggestions:
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Louise[/name] [name]Annabelle[/name]
[name]Lucinda[/name] [name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Lucille[/name] [name]Emmanuelle[/name]

Really like it! Especially love [name]Luella[/name] [name]Eve[/name], [name]Luella[/name] [name]Jane[/name], [name]Luella[/name] [name]Mary[/name]

I really like [name]Luella[/name]! I think it sounds wonderful and has cute nn possibilities like [name]Ella[/name], [name]Lu[/name], [name]Lulu[/name] … I didn’t get that redneck vibe at all.

I love the name [name]Luella[/name].

[name]Luella[/name]=cuttteeee. And so fun to say.

I think [name]Luella[/name] is a great name. Only potential issue - does it remind anyone of Cruella as in Cruella de Vil from 101 Dalmatians?

I like it a lot! I can see your concern for this name. Maybe it reminds you of the cartoon character [name]Luanne[/name] from [name]King[/name] of the [name]Hill[/name].
I Googled the name [name]Luella[/name] and found a site for a hip clothing line named [name]Luella[/name] and a cool restaurant in San Fransisco. Neither were country bumpkin at all. [name]Heidi[/name] Klum named her daughter [name]Lou[/name].
I really think [name]Luella[/name] is a pretty and fun sounding naming. Spunky like [name]Lola[/name] but sweeter.

I think I’m actually selling this name to myself LOL. Too bad I have pet named [name]Lola[/name] :frowning:

Thanks so much everyone for your comments and suggestions! A lot of them are names we have been considering, especially [name]Annabel[/name], [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Louisa[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name]. Plus we already have one daughter named [name]Josephine[/name]! I still don’t know if [name]Luella[/name] is THE name, but you all have definitely helped me feel more comfortable with it. We’ll see if it keeps growing on me! :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name]! I love your daughter’s name, as well as the other names you’ve been considering in addition to [name]Luella[/name]. :slight_smile:

I really, really love [name]Josephine[/name] with [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Annabel[/name], [name]Louisa[/name], or [name]Eleanor[/name]!

If [name]Luella[/name] isn’t the name for you, you definitely have some great alternatives on your list!

Take care! :slight_smile:

[name]Luella[/name] does sound a little redneck to me. It reminds me of [name]Luella[/name] [name]May[/name] [name]Ewell[/name] in “To Kill a Mockingbird”. I guess it could seem cute on a little girl, but that is who it reminds me of, and she was definitely a redneck character.