What do you think of Luke or Anakin Skywalker?

I’ve had very mixed reactions, as expected, but wanted a broader range of opinions.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think this name could be detrimental to his future as an adult?

I am probably exactly the sort of [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars nut who’s hugely biased on this front, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Part of the reason [name_m]Luke[/name_m] is one of my top names is because of my absolute love of the series and his character, and Skywalker as a middle name is a massive GP name for me, especially since it conjures up beautiful meaningful imagery. I also like [name_u]Skye[/name_u] as a first name.

I know a little boy named Anakin, actually, after the character and he wears it pretty well. However, I personally would still stick to [name_m]Luke[/name_m] or the family name just because Anakin/Vader is such a dark, tragic character, even if he does have an uplifting end to his story. I love the character, but it’s too heavy both as a namesake and as a very strong scifi reference.

I also would not go for a FN/MN [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars combo, it’s a bit too much.

[name_m]Luke[/name_m] is fine on it’s own. I would not pair it with another [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars name, that’s the only think the kid would be known for. It’s way too tied to the character.

[name_m]Luke[/name_m] is a fine name on its own, but I would not name him [name_m]Luke[/name_m] Skywalker. As the PP said, that is all he will be known as. As a kid he might think its cool, but as high school student and even more so once he enters the workforce, I don’t think he will appreciate it. I know not all your coworkers know your middle name, but if it did get out he might not be able to live it down.

What about [name_m]Luke[/name_m] [name_u]Skylar[/name_u]? My friends are going to name their girl kalel after superman. :smiley:

Yes. I adore [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars and I’d be mildly horrified to find someone named their child Anakin Skywalker. [name_m]Luke[/name_m] Skywalker isn’t half as bad, but it’s pretty bad.

If you wanna name your child after that character, that’s great. Name him [name_m]Luke[/name_m]. Name him [name_u]Sky[/name_u]. Name him [name_u]Walker[/name_u]. Name him [name_m]Luke[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] and call him [name_m]Luke[/name_m] Skywalker as an adorable quirky nickname while he’s growing up.

Or, choose a much more obscure [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars name to give your child that every single person born between 1950 and 2015 isn’t going to identify and make jokes about. I don’t think naming a child Anakin Skywalker is any amount better than naming him Darth Vadar.

There are tons of ways to honor characters and stories you love without setting your kid up to be constantly teased or at least explaining themselves.