What do you think of our shortlist?

Expecting baby #3, our first boy.

Shortlist is…
[name_m]Magnus[/name_m] ([name_u]Gus[/name_u])
[name_u]Miles[/name_u] ([name_m]Milo[/name_m])
[name_m]Rupert[/name_m] (Ru)
[name_m]William[/name_m] ([name_u]Billy[/name_u])

We will use [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] as a middle name. Any thoughts, favourites or new suggestions from our shortlist?

Great list!

I love the sound of [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m]. [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] and [name_u]Miles[/name_u] [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] are also great.

[name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] doesn’t flow too well, IMO, with the repeating N and S sounds.

I like [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] and [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] best! [name_m]William[/name_m] is classic and makes a lovely combo but [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] is a bit unexpected. Ru would be gorgeous :heart_eyes:
I agree with the comments re [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] and I probably prefer [name_u]August[/name_u] as a route to the nn [name_u]Gus[/name_u]. [name_u]Miles[/name_u] is nice but has lost its shine for me lately.

[name_m]Rupert[/name_m] “Ru” is just precious! I also like [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] with the nickname [name_u]Gus[/name_u].

[name_m]Magnus[/name_m] “[name_u]Gus[/name_u]” is my favorite, but i prefer the flow of [name_u]Miles[/name_u] [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] best

[name_m]Magnus[/name_m]: not my style, but I love the nn [name_u]Gus[/name_u]!

[name_u]Miles[/name_u]: I like it! However, I would consider [name_m]Milo[/name_m] to be its own name, not a nn for [name_u]Miles[/name_u]. If you are going to call him [name_m]Milo[/name_m] most of the time, then I feel like that should just be his name!

[name_m]Rupert[/name_m]: adorable! Ru is so sweet! [name_u]Love[/name_u] this one!

[name_m]William[/name_m]: I LOVE [name_m]William[/name_m]! It’s such a strong, classic name! [name_u]Billy[/name_u] isn’t my favorite, but it would be cute for a little boy!

I love [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] and [name_u]Miles[/name_u] or [name_m]Milo[/name_m] here. [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] is great but I don’t love it with [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m].

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

Nice list!

Here are my thoughts:

[name_m]Magnus[/name_m] ([name_u]Gus[/name_u])-This is my husband’s favorite name. I kind of like it. I think that nn [name_u]Gus[/name_u] makes it sweeter. [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] is bold & unique w/out being overly complicated. [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] doesn’t have the best flow in my opinion.

[name_u]Miles[/name_u] ([name_m]Milo[/name_m])-Hm. I like [name_m]Milo[/name_m] [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] on its own a lot. [name_u]Miles[/name_u] is a bit more over done, & I don’t know that [name_u]Miles[/name_u] nn [name_m]Milo[/name_m] is necessary.

[name_m]Rupert[/name_m] (Ru)-This is okay. It’s a bit stuffy, & I think that Ru sounds sort of feminine.

[name_m]William[/name_m] ([name_u]Billy[/name_u])-[name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] is really handsome. I love [name_u]Billy[/name_u]! It’s charming & would stand out amongst all of the little [name_m]Wills[/name_m] running around. I’m not personally a fan of [name_m]Bill[/name_m] . Are you? It could get shortened to that when he’s older. It’s something to consider.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

First off: I love [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m]!! Such a handsome, friendly classic and yet it’s still somehow so underused!

[name_m]Magnus[/name_m] ([name_u]Gus[/name_u]): I really like [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] a lot and am always excited when I hear of real people (as opposed to hypothetical babies) with this name. I don’t think it flows so well with [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m], though, due to the rhyming -nus -las sounds. BUT if you found yourself leaning towards this option I don’t think the flow would really be a deal-breaker.

[name_u]Miles[/name_u] ([name_m]Milo[/name_m]): [name_u]Miles[/name_u] [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] is my second favorite on this list :slight_smile: I don’t love the repeated -s sounds for the first and middle name, but that kind of thing is really subjective. I really love [name_m]Milo[/name_m] [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m], though!!

[name_m]Rupert[/name_m] (Ru): [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] isn’t really my style, but I do like Ru as a nickname and think [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] flows well.

[name_m]William[/name_m] ([name_u]Billy[/name_u]): [name_u]Billy[/name_u] isn’t my style, but I love [name_m]William[/name_m]! [name_f]My[/name_f] uncle’s name is actually [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] and he goes by [name_u]Nick[/name_u]. I’ve always admired my grandparents’ naming style :slight_smile: This one gets my vote!

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] and [name_m]Rupert[/name_m]!

[name_m]Magnus[/name_m] is my favorite, but [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] doesn’t sound quite right. [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] sounds the best. I also like the previous suggestion of [name_u]August[/name_u] [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] with the nickname [name_u]Gus[/name_u].

Congratulations!1

I love [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] the most although all are great. I don’t think the flow of [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] with [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] should be a dealbreaker at all but what is most important is how the first name flows with your last name. That is how he will be known, not by [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m]. [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] isn’t terrible at all and we seldom say our first and middle names together after the birth announcement. [name_m]Milo[/name_m] is great too but I would go straight to [name_m]Milo[/name_m] rather than using it as a nickname. If you were to choose [name_m]William[/name_m], I prefer the nickname [name_m]Will[/name_m]. It feels more current than [name_u]Billy[/name_u].

[name_m]Magnus[/name_m] or [name_u]Miles[/name_u]! [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] and [name_m]William[/name_m] are lovely too, though.

I love your shortlist!
[name_m]William[/name_m] is my favorite. [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] is perfect. I always had a crush on the name [name_m]Magnus[/name_m], but I don’t think [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] is the “one”. [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] has a great flow too.

Some lovely name options! And congrats!

I have to agree with many PPs though that the flow of [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] with the rhymey endings isn’t great.

[name_m]Magnus[/name_m] is the standout here, it’s such a striking, handsome name. I agree that the flow with [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] isn’t that great but I don’t think it’s a big deal. If it flows with your last name is more important.

I really like [name_u]Miles[/name_u]! I like [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] too but it’s a “big” name and I don’t know how well it flows with [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m].