What do you think of the name Blu?

I just want straight-out opinions. [name]Do[/name] you like it? [name]Do[/name] you think it’s awful? What about the spelling? Is it more feminine than masculine? Should it be a nickname instead of a full name? What kind of person do you associate with the name [name]Blu[/name]?

OK, I think it’s awful.
[name]Blue[/name] (with an e) is passable. But “[name]Blue[/name]'s Clues”, anyone?
[name]Blue[/name] would be a cute nn.
[name]How[/name] about the name [name]Indigo[/name]? I like this one a lot.

[name]Do[/name] I like it?: I prefer [name]Blue[/name] to [name]Blu[/name] ([name]Blu[/name] lookes like it’s missing a letter), but only as a middle name.

[name]Do[/name] I think it’s awful?: I think the [name]Blu[/name] spelling looks incomplete, but while it’s not my style, I wouldn’t call [name]Blue[/name] (as a middle name) awful. As a first name, yes, I think it’s awful, because like [name]Deirdre[/name] mentioned, I think of [name]Blue[/name]'s Clues. It also makes me think of saddness, as in feeling “blue.”

What about the spelling?: I far prefer [name]Blue[/name] to [name]Blu[/name], which looks like the flu.

Should it be a nickname instead of a full name?: I can only see it as a middle name, but I guess I can better see [name]Bluebell[/name] as a first name than I can [name]Blu[/name]/[name]Blue[/name].

Is it more feminine than masculine? I personally think it’s right in the middle, but as a middle name.

What kind of person do I associate with the name [name]Blu[/name]? Someone artsy and a free spirit.

[name]Do[/name] you like [name]Violet[/name], [name]Scarlett[/name], [name]Lavender[/name], [name]Lilac[/name], [name]Ivy[/name], [name]Olive[/name], etc.?

Whatever you choose, good luck! :slight_smile:

I like it! I do think the e at the end will make it look better. [name]Blue[/name] straight i think it as a guys name. I really want a little girl named [name]Bluebelle[/name] i think it is ssounds sooo cute!

[name]Blu[/name] is not good. The name itself seems to have an aging hippie artsy fartsy flare to it, and that particular spelling just sends it over the top. It comes across as trying too hard-- like something a middle-aged, alcoholic, self-described poet might use as a pen name. Or maybe something [name]Paul[/name] [name]Simon[/name] would name his dog-- his sad, mournful dog.

[name]Do[/name] I like it?: Im on the fence with this. I dont like it but i dont think its horrible.

[name]Do[/name] I think it’s awful?: I would personally not flat out call it awful. I do however believe it would be better spelt [name]Blue[/name], as [name]Blu[/name] feels incomplete, and use it as a middle name or a nickname. The way i always ask myself is, could _______ be a doctor taken seriously? [name]Blu[/name] could not. But it is a cute nickname and a cute middlename

What about the spelling?: I like [name]Blue[/name] better, it seems more complete.

Should it be a nickname instead of a full name?: Yes. However i see it more as a middle name.

Is it more feminine than masculine? Ummm im not really sure. I can see it for both. i would just call i t flat our unisex with no gender preferance.

What kind of person do I associate with the name [name]Blu[/name]? Artist, hippee type.

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

Oh my! ‘[name]Blu[/name]’ is an awesome name and I’ll definitely think of it if someday I have to chose a name for my daughter! I usually use the name ‘BluRain’ on the Internet as a pseudonym and so ‘[name]Blu[/name]’ is dear to me :slight_smile: Good choice, a little masculine to [name]IMO[/name] but I tend to appreciate masculine names for girls and feminine for boys so it’s not an awful name to me!

I don’t dislike it, but I probably wouldn’t use it myself. I definitely don’t think it’s awful. I actually might really like it–on another person’s child if you know what I mean.
I would use [name]Blue[/name] as the spelling - why complicate an already uncommon name with having to spell it? The child can say my name is [name]Blue[/name] like the color instead of my name is [name]Blu[/name] like the color but without the e. I agree with pp that [name]Blu[/name] reminds me of flu and seems incomplete
Is it more feminine than masculine? I do not see a boy with this name, it is totally girl to me. I don’t have a problem seeing this as a grown up name though as other seem to. It doesn’t seem childish to me.
It might be better as a nickname to give the child options, but I’m not sure what it would be a nickname for. Others have suggested [name]Bluebell[/name] but to be honest I would rather be named [name]Blue[/name] than [name]Bluebell[/name]. [name]Bluebell[/name] is very, very cutesy to me and I have a hard time taking it seriously - like using [name]Honey[/name] or Sweetie-pie as a name.
I agree with others that [name]Blue[/name] has sort of an artsy vibe but I don’t find it limiting - I think it could work for a girly-girl or a tomboy, a teenager, an adult.

The more I think about it, the more I like it actually.

Another thought, the spelling [name]Blu[/name] (with no E) could be mispronounced as bluh, as in short for blubber, etc. Not a pretty sound, imo.

It makes me think of [name]Blu[/name] Cantrell, an R&B singer. I think also there was a book where the main character’s name was [name]Blue[/name]? Special Topics in Calamity Physics? And there’s an author named [name]Blue[/name] Balliett.

I think when I was a bit younger it seemed like a really cool name to me, but now I don’t think I love it as a first name. Middle name or nickname, sure.

I know a little girl named [name]Blue[/name] with the most gorgeous [name]Blue[/name] eyes, so the name fits her perfectly. I am with everyone else that the e should be added. I think [name]Blue[/name] is good as a first name when paired with a really beautiful, girly middle name.

I like it-with the e-depending on what name you pair it with.

I was thinking no at first but reading gwensmom’s post and thinking about it warmed me to the name. I say name your child what you like and people will forget their negative ideas once they meet the little person it’s attached to!

It looks like “flu” but with a b. Gross.

[name]Love[/name] it love it love it. I like it spelt as [name]Blue[/name] better. And I like it as a mn. I have always loved the name combo ‘[name]Thomas[/name] [name]Blue[/name]’ then you could call him [name]Tommy[/name] [name]Blue[/name]. Sounds like a classic all american little boy name.

I’m not really comfortable with this as a name. [name]Blue[/name] - my favorite color. I think [name]Indigo[/name] sounds more name-like, but reminds me of “[name]Indigo[/name] Children.” Indigo children - Wikipedia
I think the name [name]Blue[/name] might be ok in the middle, it is kind of moody and sulky kind of name, it can mean sad, although, there’s a saying, “if you have to be blue, be bright blue.” Attributed to [name]Walt[/name] Disney.

I don’t like the sound of it as a first name, close to blew, as in blew chunks. After the color, it’s the first thing I think of. Blew up, exploded, is another one. [name]Blue[/name] can be a lot of things, however, it’s a versatile, dependable color, blue suits are a classic, the sky is blue all day and all night. [name]True[/name] blue, denim blue, I believe the word ‘blue’ is the most common color in song title history, across all genres (even instrumental, I believe). I do have a good feeling for the word itself, by the color and texture of meaning, but as a first name, it also has some awkward connotations. I also think it might be kind of band-wagony - lots of people had this idea already, so it is not going to seem at all original. That’s if you care about such things.

I dislike the spelling [name]Blu[/name], it is too unfinished looking, tryndy, I think it is like a brand of eyedrops or something you put in your toilet tank to keep the bowl clean. It also calls out for the rest of the word, perhaps blurt or blunder or bluff or blunt. It is different than the “name” [name]Tru[/name], as to me, [name]Tru[/name] is a minimal nickname for [name]Gertrude[/name] via [name]Trudy[/name], and not necessarily related to the word name, [name]True[/name], which I kind of like less. Maybe it’s just me, but that to me is a brand of cigarette, the opposite of False on a pop quiz. I don’t really understand it as a name, it’s an adjective. I think [name]Truth[/name] is ok, but a very high expectation. Not that you asked, but there I do prefer [name]Tru[/name], and love [name]Trudy[/name], but not enough to name someone [name]Gertrude[/name].

It’s cute, but for me probably more as a nn.

I definitely don’t like the spelling [name]Blu[/name]. Like someone else said it reminds me of flu - like ‘I had the flu and I blew my nose’.

It also looks a bit like those funny spellings they use for toilet cistern blocks that turn the water blue - like Bloo or [name]Blu[/name], etc.

[name]Blue[/name] would be cute as a nn if you can work it in somehow.

My father’s lifelong nickname was [name]Blue[/name], so I love it. I’m most likely using it as a middle name.