what do you think of the name Gemini for a girl

I just heard it on a TV show. What do you think of it? On the tv show, she goes by [name]Gem[/name].

I love it!! [name]Gem[/name], [name]Ginny[/name], [name]Minnie[/name]… Great nicknames!

I think it’s nice and cute!

The nn’s are cute but it has that [name]Genesis[/name] feel to it. It almost sounds like a super hero name. I really shouldn’t talk because I like [name]Domino[/name] as a mn for a girl. :confused: Maybe [name]Gemini[/name] in the middle.

Like the previous poster said (I forgot who you were!), I get a superhero vibe from [name]Gemini[/name], as well as an astrological sign.

I do think that [name]Gem[/name] is darling, though, and guess I prefer [name]Gemma[/name] to [name]Gemini[/name]. For what it’s worth, I do think it’s a cool name!

Good luck! :slight_smile:

i love it. if gemma is popular then why wouldnt this be. its darling

I guess I am odd one out here, but this name sounds really weird to me. It is the name of a constellation & sign of the zodiac, and means ‘twins’, I think. I would not like it at all if this were my name --to the point where I think I would change my name. If you like the names of constellations or stars, I think [name]Cassiopeia[/name] would be much nicer.

It is stupid

I don’t like it at all-- it’s actually a masculine name in [name]Roman[/name] mythology. [name]Gemina[/name] would be a bit better… I do like [name]Gemma[/name], though.

Agreed.

I second someone else’s suggestion of Casseopeia or [name]Calliope[/name]
Or [name]Stella[/name]/[name]Estella[/name]/[name]Estelle[/name] if you’re into the star theme.

If it’s the sound you’re after, then [name]Gemma[/name] or even [name]Jemima[/name] is a better bet.

I heard of a girl named [name]Libra[/name] once and I think we read about some poor child named Cancer here as well. Not sure about you personally, but I think a name tells a lot about the parents. Not everyone has positive or neutral feelings about astrology and the name may seem not just a little different and interesting. Sure lots of people can’t help but check out their horoscope or defend some of their personality traits against their zodiac sign, but maintain certain public opinions about people who conform to this mythology as a lifestyle.

Not sure if this is part of your lifestyle or if you are a casual observer of the mystery of the stars. The idea is somewhat appealing to even people not entrenched in this as something they take wholly seriously - that public opinion is going to be a surprise if the latter describes you. If you are of the former variety, you might know better about the myths than to pick the name at whim, and find some more appropriate god or goddess. Keep in mind that people who write for tv shows and other media aren’t picking names that are necessarily well thought out and may indeed be defining the character’s upbringing and parents in this fashion, and that she also has the luxury of not being teased overly for having such a name and all the other characters will think she’s cool and has a cool name with no negative baggage; this is how it’s written.

Also, just saying, I’ve heard certain dialects pronounce it Jeminee, like [name]Jiminy[/name], as in the cricket. Other suggestions of [name]Gemma[/name] or [name]Jemima[/name] if you like the sound or the nickname, or for constellations and myths, there are lots of sources. I’m not up on this area of knowledge and defer to your library or a search on Google for some thorough reference.

I love the name [name]Gemma[/name]. Personally, I think [name]Gemini[/name] might be cute for a baby, but wouldn’t age well–I can’t imagine a CEO named [name]Gemini[/name], for example.

I agree that it sounds masculine and super hero-ish. Anyone remember the show American Gladiators…one of the giant gladiator dudes used [name]Gemini[/name] as his nickname on the show.

If you like [name]Gem[/name] or [name]Gemma[/name], I don’t think you need to justify it with a longer, more formal name. [name]Just[/name] go with [name]Gemma[/name].

I’m glad I’m not the only one who immediately thought of American Gladiators: we are not making this up. [name]Gemini[/name] is a really cool sounding name, speaking as someone whose main concern is typically the sound of things, but this could be a very difficult name to live with, particularly if [name]Gemini[/name] grows up to have big boobs, as she will likely be the subject of merciless teasing. A lot of (maybe most) people have at least a passing interest in astrology or think of it as fun but there are sizable segments of the population who consider it to be either evil or an ignorant superstition, which hardly gives little [name]Gemini[/name] a fair shot at first impressions.

I feel like there could be a slightly more constructive way of saying this :slight_smile:

I’m not a large fan of [name]Gemini[/name], but I agree with the other posters that [name]Gemma[/name] is a very cute alternative. :slight_smile:

ricamaca I absolutely agree my tact went straight out the window and my gut reaction took over.

I think that [name]Gemma[/name] and [name]Jemima[/name] are fantastic names btw.