What do you think of the name Ophelia?

I wanted to name her [name_f]Odette[/name_f] but my SO was not in love with it :slightly_frowning_face:

Congratulations!! I think so too :blush:

I love [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] and wouldn’t worry about the connotations, however, if you were looking for similar names you could go with [name_f]Olympia[/name_f]!

1 Like

ophelia is a gorgeous name! while not my personal style, i can totally see it working for a little girl today. and lily is an adorable nickname!
i also adore alma as a second option!!

1 Like

[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] is gorgeous! So bright, literary and lovely! I’ve come across two little Ophelias who’ve worn it well

1 Like

[name_f]Olympia[/name_f] is one I hadn’t even thought of. [name_u]Love[/name_u] the strong athletic feeling of this name. If she gets her father’s height (he’s 6’3"), this would be a fantastic name. Hoping she takes after me vertically, I’m a foot shorter :laughing:

1 Like

Congratulations. I really like [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] (and The Lumineers song!). Whilst I do think of the [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] tragedy, it doesn’t stop people using names like [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] does it and [name_m]Romeo[/name_m] & [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] I would say is much more well known. It wouldn’t put me off using it anyway. I also like all of your other options, especially [name_u]Alma[/name_u], [name_f]Adelina[/name_f] & [name_f]Marceline[/name_f] and would suggest [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] to you too.

1 Like

That is so true! [name_f]My[/name_f] sister suggested [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] to me, as that’s what she wanted to name the daughter she never had (ended up with 3 boys!)

1 Like

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]! A teacher from my old high-school has a daughter named [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] and it’s the cutest little name. I have a slight association to [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] but it stops there. I don’t think of specifically [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m] or her death.

Out of your other options my two favorites are:

[name_u]Alma[/name_u] (if pronounces All-MA)
&
[name_f]Marceline[/name_f] (on my own list!! so cute)

The other names are also great options I just tend to choose less popular names

1 Like

I’m actually surprised I haven’t seen it mentioned yet so I’ll say it….

I feel every time I see [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] mentioned in NB the phrases “I feel ya” or “ped- OPHELIA” get mentioned. I think the “I feel ya” gets brought up the most.

Personally, I think every name comes under some sort of scrutiny so I don’t see the above as some sort of dealbreaker but feel that it’s unfortunately been “ruined for me” in a sense because I’ve read that feedback so much on here and wanted to share for your 411 as you decide on the name.

1 Like

Ped-ophelia is one I haven’t heard yet! I have heard a few others mention “I feel ya” which doesn’t bother me too much. Pedophilia is definitely something I’ll need to take into consideration lol

Welcome to NB!

This doesn’t make sense to me.

On ophelia itself, I hate to say it — but I just think of pedophilia. (Tap to read in case you didn’t know)

1 Like

Someone else just pointed this out to me and it’s definitely not something that crosses my mind when hearing the name, now I’m a little more worried about this than Hamlet??

1 Like

Yes, stigma certainly.

Any of the other names would be preferable in my opinion.

Appreciate the feedback!

I never would’ve thought of either of those in a million years but maybe it’s to do with accent and how it sounds. Once seen can’t be unseen though!

1 Like

Congrats :partying_face::partying_face:

[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] is such a pretty ethereal name with a whimsical vibe. I actually like the [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m] association despite her tragic ending I think the Shakespearean connection is actually grounds the name if that makes sense. I strongly associate [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] with the Lumineers song which is nice. So I would say go for it if you love [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]. A name that you may like which is similar is [name_f]Olympia[/name_f], [name_f]Odette[/name_f] or [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] but I think [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] is so sweet.

I also like from your list [name_u]Alma[/name_u], [name_f]Marceline[/name_f] & [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] they are such lovely names but still if [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] is the name that sparkles for you then go for that one.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] unfortunately I could never use it. But I would love someone else to use it.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]! I do think [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] but I don’t think of [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m] if that makes sense, just that it’s a Shakespearean name. I associate it more with The Lumineers song… which is a great association!
As for the nickname [name_f]Lily[/name_f], I’m not sure if I follow that, I don’t really get how it relates. I do think that [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Lily[/name_f] make beautiful sister names though!

1 Like