What do you think of the name Ophelia?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone! This is my first post on Nameberry :slight_smile: I’m due at the end of Nov with our first and we are considering naming our daughter [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] (nn Lily). I am in love with this name but a lot of people either say it’s outdated, or they bring up Ophelia’s death in [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m]. I’m curious if the name [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] carries a stigma and if we should go with something else? Are there other names similar to [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]?

Alternate names we were considering:
[name_u]Alma[/name_u]
[name_f]Adelina[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Marceline[/name_f]
[name_f]Natalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]

3 Likes

[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] is gorgeous, probably one of my favorite names ever. Instead of [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m] it reminds me of the little girl in the movie Pan’s Labyrinth. It’s very special and any person should be proud to bear such a whimsical, elegant name :slight_smile: [name_f]Ofelia[/name_f] is also a great option!

1 Like

I think [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] is very pretty and I like it. I have never seen or read [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m], so the association does not come to me. I like [name_f]Lily[/name_f] for a nickname, though I would personally use Phee for a nickname. If you don’t like [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] maybe you could use something like [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] instead.

2 Likes

I’ve actually known 2 little girls named [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]! Both wore it beautifully and I saw them get only compliments. One just went by [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] as far as I know but the other girl went by Opie with her friends and family. I think it’s a wonderful substitution for the popular [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]. Reminds me more of the Lumineers song than [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m] tbh.

3 Likes

I think [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] is a beautiful name. It only makes me think of the song [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] by the Lumineers which is a fantastic song and very catchy. I think you’re bound to get some people who have negative associations with any name you choose. If [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] feels right for you then go for it! It’s a great name!

4 Likes

Oh Phee is a super cute nn!

1 Like

I forgot all about Pan’s Labyrinth! Makes me love it even more. [name_f]Ofelia[/name_f] is the original way I wanted to spell it as it’s a family name. [name_f]My[/name_f] family is from [name_u]Cuba[/name_u] and my fiance is Portugese, though he’s not a big fan of the F spelling. womp womp

1 Like

Opie, how sweet! I love the Lumineers song but the one that comes to mind first is [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] by The Band. It is the sole reason my fiance likes this name! He is very picky when it comes to girl names

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

[name_f]Beautiful[/name_f] name.
Brings no negative connotations to my mind.
[name_u]Love[/name_u] phee/ fee and lily for short x

1 Like

Such a beautiful name! I love those songs you mentioned too :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:. It’ll make some people think of [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] but I don’t think that will ruin your baby’s name for anyone once she is actually named that and it’s less hypothetical.

1 Like

love love love [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]! a wonderful alternative to [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], as previously mentioned, and nn [name_f]Lily[/name_f] is just darling. i agree that some people might think of [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] when they hear her name, but i don’t think that’s enough to stop you from using it.

1 Like

I absolutely love Ophelia and think you should use it because its stunning

from the names you have mentioned I also love Alma and I like Adelina and Penelope

SOme names similar to ophelia: Octavia, Ofelia, Olivia, Lilia, Delilah, Fiona

1 Like

Thank you! I love that it’s not an overused name. I adore the name [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] but it’s so popular now I couldn’t even think about using it. We tried to stay below the top 20 names, though I think [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] and [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] are both up there as well.

1 Like

[name_f]Delilah[/name_f] and [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] are beautiful! Thank you for the suggestions!

1 Like

I love it! Instead of thinking of the Shakespearian character Ophelia’s death, I think about what a strong female she was before she died.

2 Likes

I’m not a fan of [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]. I’m not big into literature so I don’t go straight to Hamlet/Shakesphere, I just don’t like the sound. If popularity is a concern, I could see [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] continue to rise in the next few years. It has jumped quite a bit in the last 5yrs.

I prefer the similar [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] & [name_f]Odette[/name_f]. From your list my favorites are [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] & [name_f]Marceline[/name_f].

2 Likes

I’m due with a girl in [name_u]November[/name_u] and [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] has been in our top 3 girls names this pregnancy. I also associate it first with the Band song. The [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m] reference does not bother me at all. I think it’s a gorgeous name.

1 Like

I think [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] is a beautiful name. Of course I do think of [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m], but although Ophelia’s death is a little gruesome I still wouldn’t say it’s necessarily a bad association. Plus since [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m] was written so long ago I don’t think the association matters as much. Using Shakespearean names is similar to using Greek mythology names and Biblical names, in my opinion. They’ve been around so long that they’re useable as names regardless of their original associations in most cases. (Think names like [name_m]Cain[/name_m], [name_m]Abel[/name_m], [name_u]Atlas[/name_u], [name_f]Pandora[/name_f], etc). I also think of the song by the Lumineers which is a beautiful song!

2 Likes

Yes!!! I love this way of thinking!