What do you think of the name Poplin?

I was browsing through old forum posts when I came across Poplin. I love the spunky feel and the fact it could be a formal name for [name]Poppy[/name]. Poplin is a kind of fabric (I think). [name]Do[/name] you think it could be a wearable name?

Poplin is indeed a kind of fabric and no, I don’t think it can be made into a name. But very difficult to tell today which words can be names and which should stay on the shelf! [name]Love[/name] [name]Poppy[/name] though…

I think Poplin actually falls into the catagory “Yeah, sure, why not?” for me. I might not use it myself but I would be VERY interested in how baby got their name. I feel like it isn’t an automatic “NO!”. Here’s why: 1) It has a familiar beginning & a familiar ending. 2) It is not a made-up word. 3) It’s clearly feminine. 4) Falls in with names like [name]Paisley[/name], [name]Jersey[/name], [name]Lacey[/name], or [name]Georgette[/name]. 5) Totally normal nicknames.

Now the fun part for me :slight_smile: Are there any other textile name-gems out there waiting to find the right baby?

OTHER [name]UNIQUE[/name] TEXTILE NAMES:

Angora
[name]Argyle[/name]
Batik
Batiste
Barathea
[name]Bedford[/name]
Bengaline
Berber
Boucle
Brocade
Buckram
Bunting
Burlap
[name]Calico[/name]
Cambric
[name]Canton[/name]
Canvas
[name]Cashmere[/name]
Challis
[name]Chambray[/name]
[name]Chamois[/name]
[name]Chantilly[/name]
Charmeuse
Chenille
Chiffon
Cire
Corduroy
[name]Cotton[/name]
Coutil/Coutille
Covert
Crewel
[name]Crash[/name]
Crinoline
Demask
[name]Denim[/name]
Dobby
[name]Donegal[/name]
Drill
Duck
Faille
Felt
Flannel
Flax
Fleece
Frieze
Gabardine
[name]Georgette[/name]
Gingham
Gossamer
Habutai
[name]Heather[/name]
Hemp
Ikat
Jaquard
[name]Jersey[/name]
Jute
Khaki
La Coste
[name]Lace[/name]
Lawn
Leather
Leatherette
[name]Leno[/name]
Linen
Loden
Madras
Marabou
Marocain
Matelasse
Matka
[name]Melton[/name]
Merino
Mesh
Mohair
Moiree
Muslin
Noil
Nylon
Organdy
Organza
[name]Oxford[/name]
[name]Paisley[/name]
Percale
Pique
Plisse
Pointelle
[name]Ramie[/name]
[name]Raschel[/name]
Rayon
Sateen
[name]Satin[/name]
[name]Saxony[/name]
Sequin
Shantung
Sheer
Shetland
[name]Silk[/name]
Sisal
[name]Suede[/name]
Surah
[name]Taffeta[/name]
Tapestry
Tarpaulin
Tartan
Tencel
[name]Terry[/name]
Toile
Tricot
Tulle
Tussah
Tweed
Twill
Velour
[name]Velvet[/name]
Velveteen
Viscose
Voile
Wool
Yarn

My reaction is somewhere between [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Ellie[/name]'s. It’s not the worst, it’s not impossible, but it’s not really to my taste. I think mainly it makes me think straightaway of [name]Mary[/name] Poppins and popcorn. I like both of those things, but it’s just odd for them to be a child’s name.

I like [name]Ellie[/name]'s list! Here are the stand-outs to me:
Batiste - I think this already has some use, or is it just [name]Baptiste[/name]? Seems connected to [name]John[/name] the Baptist at any rate. Better for a boy?
Bengaline - not as a first name, but this is cool as a middle. I like the thought of [name]Lily[/name] Bengaline for nn [name]Tiger[/name] [name]Lily[/name]!
Cambric - this seems like it would work OK as a uni name like [name]Camden[/name] and Cambridge.
[name]Canton[/name] - this would fit in as a uni name with all the -ton names; also a place name.
Chenille - has a very name like feel, like Tenille or [name]Camille[/name].
[name]Cotton[/name] - has some historical basis for boys, like [name]Cotton[/name] Mather.
[name]Donegal[/name] - really cool for a boy, like [name]Donovan[/name].
[name]Heather[/name] - already in use for girls. Fading, but I still find it pretty.
Loden - [name]Logan[/name] alternative for boys?

Need to run but will comment more later if I remember : D!

i absolutely love it!! i thought of it as a name after noticing a street name in my city. i think that it totally could work as a name and i think it is especially spunky!

i think it works so well with some of my favorite names:

Poplin and Lyles
Poplin and [name]Windsor[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] and Poplin
[name]Leon[/name] and Poplin
[name]Archibald[/name] ([name]Archie[/name]) and Poplin
[name]Beatrix[/name] and Poplin
[name]Thisbe[/name], [name]Clarence[/name] and Poplin

I dont think it can be made into a name, plus I think if I was named after a fabric I would want it to be something fancier that poplin.

@ellieberrie [name]Georgette[/name] is primarily a name and always has been, it doesnt fit in with word names like [name]Paisley[/name], [name]Jersey[/name], [name]Lacey[/name].

This is my reaction to it as well.