What do you think of the names Kali and Meaghan?

I am really starting to like [name]Kali[/name]. It’s a cute name and it looks fabulous on paper.

1. [name]Do[/name] you like the name?

2. What’s your favourite spelling?

3. What are five middle names that might go well with it?

Also, what do you think about the name [name]Meaghan[/name]/[name]Meghan[/name]/[name]Megan[/name]/[name]Maygan[/name] and what do you think is the best spelling?

I’ll do it for each…
[name]Kali[/name]

1. [name]Do[/name] you like the name? I think it’s cute, but very, very, slight. I much prefer it as a nickname. But [name]Calla[/name] is one of my favorite names and it feels much more complete to me. I don’t like the look of [name]Kali[/name] on paper- I’m not a fan of K’s for some reason, and I don’t like that it ends in an i.

2. What’s your favourite spelling? [name]Callie[/name]. Looks much classier and more grown-up than [name]Kali[/name] to me.

3. What are five middle names that might go well with it? Like I said, I much prefer [name]Calla[/name], so I’ll give 5 for each:
    [name]Kali[/name] [name]Maria[/name]
    [name]Kali[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]
    [name]Kali[/name] [name]Jessamine[/name]
    [name]Kali[/name] [name]Juliana[/name]
    [name]Kali[/name] [name]Cecilia[/name]
    [name]Calla[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]
    [name]Calla[/name] [name]Marielle[/name]
    [name]Calla[/name] [name]Noemie[/name]
    [name]Calla[/name] [name]Simone[/name]
    [name]Calla[/name] [name]Justine[/name]

[name]Meaghan[/name]:
. [name]Do[/name] you like the name? It’s okay. Sounds kind of dated to me, but not bad.

1. What’s your favourite spelling? [name]Megan[/name], definitely. It’s the simplest, most straightforward, and original spelling.

2. What are five middle names that might go well with it?
    [name]Megan[/name] [name]Elisa[/name]
    [name]Megan[/name] [name]Eliana[/name]
    [name]Megan[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]
    [name]Megan[/name] [name]Emma[/name]
    [name]Megan[/name] [name]Leah[/name]

^Ditto on [name]Calla[/name]. It’s a lovely name with a ‘beautiful’ meaning. :wink:

I don’t think [name]Kali[/name] is a bad name, it’s cute, but I don’t know if you’re supposed to pronounce it as if it rhymes with [name]Sally[/name] or [name]Bailey[/name] or what. So that could potentially cause some confusion. [name]Meaghan[/name], it depends how you’re going to say it…[name]MEG[/name]-in, MAYG-in, MEEG-in, etc… So, when it comes to my favorite spelling, I want to say “go with the conventional spelling” but with these names it really depends on how you’re going to want people to pronounce them. fabunamer, how do you pronounce [name]Kali[/name] and [name]Meaghan[/name]?

Combos you might like:

[name]Kali[/name] [name]Jasmine[/name]
[name]Kali[/name] [name]Mila[/name] (pn. Mee-lah, but use this only if [name]Kali[/name] is pronounced like [name]Cally[/name])
[name]Kali[/name] [name]Renee[/name]
[name]Kali[/name] [name]Jade[/name]
[name]Kali[/name] [name]Belle[/name]

[name]Meaghan[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Meaghan[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]
[name]Meaghan[/name] [name]Alessandra[/name]
[name]Meaghan[/name] [name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Meaghan[/name] [name]Olivia[/name]

[name]Kali[/name] reminds me of [name]California[/name]. Sometimes my [name]BIL[/name] calls me [name]Cali[/name] because I’m from [name]California[/name].

I don’t like the [name]Kali[/name] spelling, but I do like [name]Callie[/name] or [name]Cali[/name]. I much prefer them as a nickname for [name]Calla[/name], or maybe something else I’m not thinking of.

[name]Callie[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
    [name]Callie[/name] [name]Jemima[/name]
    [name]Callie[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]
    [name]Callie[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
    [name]Callie[/name] [name]Rose[/name]

[name]Megan[/name] is a perfectly good name. It’s not exciting, but it’s a name that would suit a girl well in life. I think it’s pretty dated, though. I notice you like a lot of names that were popular when I was born (1985). Maybe you should look at the SSA list from the 80s and find more similar names that maybe weren’t as common, so they don’t feel as dated.

I like the pronunciation, but something about the spelling feels nicknamey. maybe the I at the end?

I like [name]Callie[/name], or [name]Kallie[/name].

[name]Callie[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
    [name]Callie[/name] [name]Miranda[/name]
    [name]Callie[/name] [name]June[/name] (I think this is my favorite)
    [name]Callie[/name] …sorry I am really bad at mn’s.

4. [name]Do[/name] you like the name?
    I really like [name]Megan[/name]. I love Welsh names, and I love [name]Meg[/name] as a nickname. or [name]Meghan[/name] if you want the h. Whenever I see [name]Meaghan[/name], I read Me again?.

5. What’s your favourite spelling?
    I guess I already explained that part.

6. What are five middle names that might go well with it?
    [name]Meghan[/name] [name]Alice[/name]
    [name]Meghan[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]
    [name]Meghan[/name] [name]Olivia[/name]

1. I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Kali[/name].
  2. My favorite spelling would have to be [name]Kallie[/name]
  3. [name]Kali[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]
    — [name]Kali[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
    — [name]Kali[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
    — [name]Kali[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]
    — [name]Kali[/name] [name]Rebecca[/name]

I also love the name [name]Megan[/name] (not as much as [name]Kali[/name] though).
I like the traditional spelling, [name]Megan[/name], because, well, it is the traditional spelling. But personally if I ever used the name I would spell it [name]Meghan[/name].
I know some people do pronounce it (at least here in the northeast) more like [name]May[/name]-ghan instead of [name]Meg[/name]-han. If you pronounce it that way I would go with with [name]Meagan[/name] or [name]Meaghan[/name].

[name]Both[/name] are great names. I love them! Oh yeah, have you thought about the name [name]Calla[/name], its very similar to [name]Kali[/name].

I think [name]Kali[/name] would have many pronunciation issues because looking at it I would pronounce it like [name]Callie[/name]. But I have a friend who spells it like this and it is pronounced [name]Kaylie[/name]. I also don’t like names that end in i because I feel they look incomplete and trendy.

I like [name]Kali[/name]… if it’s spelled [name]Callie[/name], and preferably as a nickname for [name]Caroline[/name]. The [name]Kali[/name] spelling is particularly bad because [name]Kali[/name] is a goddess of death. That and generally names ending in -i are stripper names. -ie or -y are much nicer.

Also it’s [name]Megan[/name]. Period. You don’t neead extrra letthers tou makke itt lo0ok preuttayyy.

1. I don’t like it at all. In fact, I kind of hate it. [name]Kali[/name], to me, says “This girl’s parents are not familiar with Hinduism and also decided to misspell [name]Callie[/name].” It’s the name of the Hindu goddess of destruction, who wears a belt made from the severed heads of her enemies. A [name]Kali[/name], who pronounced her name like [name]Callie[/name], lived in my dorm during college, and every time I saw her name written down I thought about the severed heads belt. Not a great association. Now, if you’re aware of the association and still want to name your daughter that because [name]Kali[/name] is such a strong female figure, then I say go for it.

2. [name]Callie[/name], now, I don’t have strong feelings toward either way, but it’s definitely my preferred spelling. I’d go so far as to say that [name]Kali[/name] and [name]Callie[/name] are two separate names, one [name]Indian[/name] and one English, since [name]Kali[/name], pronounced properly, is I think more like KAH-lee. [name]Callie[/name] still feels incomplete as a standalone name–[name]Caroline[/name], maybe, or [name]Calla[/name] as someone else suggested. Possibly even [name]Calliope[/name].

3. Middle names are complicated for me. It depends on whether you’re actually going for the [name]Indian[/name] name or the English one, I think. I do like [name]Callie[/name] [name]Rose[/name], but then [name]Rose[/name] goes with everything.

And I think [name]Megan[/name] is dated, but I definitely prefer that spelling.

[name]Kali[/name] is the goddess of death and destruction, but as with all Hindu deities, she is dual-purposed… she is also the goddess of rebirth and new beginnings.

http://www.angelfire.com/journal/ofapoet/kali.html
“I am time, ever inclined to destroy the world, and annihilate anything and all that is not worthy of keeping.” - [name]Kali[/name]
(not in any way vouching for the reliability of this source/website, it’s just the first one I found that talked about this duality.)

I think that makes [name]Kali[/name] a very grown-up and strong name. The true meaning is really not going to appeal to most parents, but to a select few, it may be just what they’re looking for.

Speaking from experience: people [name]WILL[/name] mispronounce [name]Kali[/name]. It gets [name]Kay[/name]-lee, [name]Kylie[/name], [name]Carly[/name], [name]Callie[/name], Kah-lee… not just because the spelling isn’t clear but also because at a glance the person reading it may think it looks like a different name entirely, and say it without thinking or fully reading (this is where [name]Kylie[/name] and [name]Carly[/name] come in). [name]Callie[/name], on the other hand, is an incredibly straightforward spelling. As is [name]Kaylie[/name], if that’s the sound you’re going for.

If you want it to rhyme with [name]Bailey[/name] spell it [name]Kailey[/name]. If you want it to rhyme with [name]Sally[/name], spell it [name]Callie[/name]. If you want it to rhyme with [name]Bali[/name], good luck, because almost no one will get it right.

So, to answer your questions:

I actually love it as rhyming with [name]Sally[/name], but rhyming with [name]Bailey[/name] is not one of my favorites. It’s nice though.

[name]Callie[/name]. I’ve seen [name]Calli[/name], [name]Cally[/name], [name]Kally[/name], [name]Kali[/name] and [name]Kalie[/name].

[name]Kali[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
    [name]Kali[/name] [name]Rachel[/name]
    [name]Kali[/name] [name]Megan[/name] actually sounds nice…
    [name]Kali[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
    [name]Kali[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]

[name]Callie[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Callie[/name] [name]Rachel[/name]
[name]Callie[/name] [name]Megan[/name]
[name]Callie[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Callie[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]