What do you think of this combo?

Ok so here is the problem my family doesn’t have great names to offer for a middle name so I decided to combine my parents name [name]Charles[/name] and [name]Kathleen[/name]= [name]Charleen[/name]

Which one sounds better?

[name]Rowan[/name] [name]Charleen[/name] or [name]Lyla[/name] [name]Charleen[/name]

Very creative! I personally like [name]Rowan[/name] because with [name]Lyla[/name] I think it may be too many “L’s”. That may or may not bother you though!

that’s a horrid sounding name. [name]Charleen[/name]. why not use
[name]Charlotte[/name] or [name]Katherine[/name], or [name]Katherina[/name] or [name]Caroline[/name]?

you can always use two middle names instead of inventing an ugly one your child will be ashamed of. Also gives her options of what she wants to be called if she isn’t keen on her first name.

eulalie you’re being a little harsh.

I think [name]Charleen[/name] is fine and a nice way to honor both parents. I personally prefer [name]Lyla[/name] because [name]Rowan[/name] is more of a boys’ name to me (I know it’s being used on girls now though). [name]Do[/name] you usually like unisex names?

[name]IMO[/name] I like [name]Lyla[/name], I think it flows better than [name]Rowan[/name].

I like [name]Lyla[/name], but have you considered the [name]Lilah[/name] spelling? For some reason I like it better.

I don’t like the name [name]Charleen[/name]. There are other ways to honor family members than passing down certain names, such as passing on the family values that made you love your family so much.

As for naming, first determine whether you even like the sound of the name. Would you use the name [name]Charleen[/name] if it wasn’t a way to honor your family? If so, then go ahead and use it.

I’ll vote for [name]Lyla[/name] [name]Charleen[/name]'s flow over the flow of [name]Rowan[/name] [name]Charleen[/name].

Good luck! :slight_smile:

P.S. I thought I’d also suggest [name]Cathleen[/name], using the C to honor [name]Charles[/name].

I know a little girl named [name]Charleen[/name], hers is also a family name, they call her [name]Charlie[/name] for short and I think it is cute.

I like [name]Rowan[/name] [name]Charleen[/name] better.

[name]Charlene[/name] IS a name, not a stupid, ugly name my goodness. That was very mean to say. It’s just spelled like I spelled. I love the way the poster spelled it tho!

i love the name charlene, charleen isn’t that bad of a spelling

I like [name]Charleen[/name] or [name]Charlene[/name]. I think the combination of both of your parents names works well with [name]Charleen[/name]. I like it better than [name]Charlotte[/name] actually. It’s a real name and saying it’s horrid is taking your opinion a bit too far. Not my style would have sufficed.

I like [name]Lyla[/name] [name]Charleen[/name] over [name]Rowan[/name] [name]Charleen[/name] and like the suggestion of spelling [name]Lyla[/name], [name]Lilah[/name].

Thanks for the positive posts really. I have to say I was really wanting to combine the two for both of them. My family doesn’t really have a value to it I just love them both. As for the alternatives of [name]Kathleen[/name]…my mom said she hates her name and wouldn’t want to have any kid have the same, but she did like this combo…

I do like unisex names…personally I love [name]Rowan[/name] the most, but I was mixed on how the name sounded. The last name is French so I like how names flow just by saying them. [name]Lyla[/name] was the only other alternative I had…

I think that [name]Rowan[/name] [name]Charleen[/name] French is great! If you’re not set on either [name]Rowan[/name] or [name]Lyla[/name], though, I know we’d be happy to help you think of more first names!

Good luck!

My name is [name]Charleen[/name] and I was named after my dad. I’ve hated my name my entire life, and have never heard anyone ever say they like my name. Please think of another way to honor your family. [name]Rowan[/name] is adorable, but don’t ruin it with [name]Charleen[/name]!

I like [name]Rowan[/name], tho prefer it for boys.
I actually know a [name]Charlene[/name] (spelled like that). She was named to honor her father, [name]Charles[/name]. I don’t think the name bothers her and I’ve certainly never thought about it until this moment.
It is frustrating when your family names don’t offer much… I’m kind of in the same boat- wanted to honor mom, but mom said NO [name]WAY[/name] should a kid have her name… ditto what grandma said.

I say, if it is important to you, the middle spot is a good place to put an honoring name that may or may not be the best sounding. Most likely, your daughter will appreciate the heritage and history of her middle name, rather than a name you chose based on sound alone.

That said, I really like [name]Lyla[/name]/[name]Lilah[/name] [name]Charlene[/name] over [name]Rowan[/name]. Something about [name]Rowan[/name] [name]Charlene[/name] is very mis-matched.

Best.