What do you think of this combo?

So I’m still struggling to come up with a middle name for [name]Magdalene[/name]. My recent idea was to use the French feminine variation of my father’s middle name: [name]Lawrence[/name]. What do you think of [name]Magdalene[/name] [name]Laurence[/name] [name]Che[/name]—??

Her big sister is [name]Juliette[/name] [name]Noelle[/name].

Thanks in advance!!

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Magdalene[/name], but I’m not a huge fan of [name]Laurence[/name]. I think the whole thing is kind of long, but I like the idea that you’re honoring your father. Would you consider [name]Laura[/name] or a variant?

[name]Magdalene[/name] is nice but [name]Laurence[/name]/[name]Lawrence[/name] screams old man to me. What about [name]Magdalene[/name] [name]Lauren[/name] or [name]Laura[/name]?

I agree, I’m not so fond of [name]Laurence[/name]. It still seems “old man”-ish. Why not [name]Lorraine[/name], [name]Lauren[/name], [name]Laura[/name], or [name]Laure[/name]? [name]Hope[/name] that helps! :slight_smile:

Does it make a difference if [name]Laurence[/name] is pronounced the French way - lo-RAHNS?

While I typically wouldn’t name a girl [name]Laurence[/name], I think the meaning behind the choice trumps it. I would object to her first name being [name]Laurence[/name], but in the middle it isn’t as big a deal in my opinion. Her close friends and family will know it, and think it is very special that she was named after your dad. It’s not like kids on the playground are going to know her middle name. I was given a pretty generic middle name ([name]Marie[/name]), and although it is pretty, I would much rather have a middle name with some meaning behind it. My grandfather’s name is [name]Winston[/name] and I would love having that middle name…just my two cents. So I say go for it if that is in your heart to do it. Otherwise [name]Laura[/name] would be a nice alternative.
[name]Magdalene[/name] is beautiful, by the way!

I don’t think [name]Laurence[/name] is a girls’ name even in French. If you wish to honor you dad this way, I think [name]Laure[/name] or [name]Laurel[/name] would work well. If you like [name]Lawrence[/name] or it’s the best way to honor your dad, I would probably just use [name]Lawrence[/name]. Why change the spelling if it’s still a boys’ name? Or what is your dad’s first name - maybe there’s something there?

I’d assumed that you were pronouncing the name the French way, and I know it [i]is[i] technically a girl’s name, but I’m still not a fan.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Magdelene[/name] [name]Laurent[/name]. [name]Even[/name] though [name]Laurent[/name] is typically male, it sounds more unisex (and modern) than [name]Laurence[/name] (recognizing that [name]Laurence[/name] is in fact a female name in [name]France[/name], you can tell from the responses to your question here that this will not be appreciated or understood in the US).

[name]Laurence[/name] is just too feminine for me…how about [name]Laurel[/name]? I think it’s great that you are trying to honor your father. :slight_smile: