What do you think of Verity?

I kind of like it…spelling suggestions? mn?

I love the name [name]Verity[/name], and would spell it with its authentic spelling, [name]Verity[/name]. :slight_smile: I think it’s beautiful, and I love the meaning.

[name]Verity[/name] [name]Blythe[/name] (but then there’s a virtue theme)
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Jane[/name] (I love this!)
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]

[name]Verity[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name] (I love the meanings together)
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Camille[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Eliza[/name]/[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Frances[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] Rosamel
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Simone[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

OOO I love [name]Verity[/name] [name]Jane[/name]. Good suggestion, [name]Jill[/name]. It sounds so classic.

I’m glad you like [name]Verity[/name] [name]Jane[/name], [name]Meg[/name]! :slight_smile: I just love it, too! :slight_smile:

I like it. The ending “ity” with the mn [name]Jane[/name] reminds me of Calamity [name]Jane[/name], but maybe that’s only because of Deadwood.

It’s not really not my style but I do see it’s appeal. I like it much better than [name]Faith[/name] or [name]Hope[/name].
Would you use a nn?

I love [name]Verity[/name].
Like [name]Felicity[/name], it’s bouncy and friendly, an interesting alternative virtue name to [name]Hope[/name], [name]Faith[/name] etc, and has that classic elegance.

[name]Verity[/name] [name]Jane[/name] has always been my top combo for this name :slight_smile:

[name]Verity[/name] [name]Adele[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Alice[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Audra[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Cassandra[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Celia[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] Elowen
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Emma[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Eve[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Fern[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Fleur[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Harriet[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Honor[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Isabel[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Jade[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Jemima[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Kerensa[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Lavinia[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Lorena[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Lucinda[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Lilias[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Madeleine[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Ophelia[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Petra[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Rebecca[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Rosanna[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] Rosabel
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Sarah[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Sabine[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Sabina[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Seren[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Tess[/name]

[name]Love[/name] it - we are actually going with [name]Verity[/name] for our daughter’s middle name (due in [name]November[/name]!). It was my husband’s pick, which surprized me because he was pretty conservative in his other suggestions. We love the meaning and the rhythm of it.

BTW, please, for the love of god, don’t play with the spelling - it’s an actually, functioning part of the English language (and latin), so “kreeatif” changes kind of ruin it - i.e. given that it means “truthfulness” or “veracity”, using an inauthentic spelling is both ironic and oxymoronic. [name]DON[/name]'T [name]DO[/name] IT!!!

I am sort of averse to names that portray some quality or virtue that may be difficult to live up to or be compared to that are obvious words of the English language, although I can certainly understand the appeal. I prefer [name]Vera[/name] (a name I’ve liked for quite a while) to [name]Verity[/name], mostly a matter of taste for simplicity, but even there I’m not sure myself if I could go through with such a clear reference to the meaning in English. Like others, I emphatically am in favor of spelling it correctly. If you are going to spell it wrong, go all the way and find a name that means “verity” but not in English. There don’t seem to be too many:

[name]Vera[/name] (Latin)
[name]Veronica[/name] (Latin)
[name]Dilys[/name] (Welsh)
[name]Alethea[/name] (Greek)
[name]Viera[/name] (Czech and Russian version of [name]Vera[/name])

Some of these are less to do with the virtue of truth and speak more to faithfulness, i.e. fidelity as opposed to verity by definition. While I think [name]Verity[/name] is one of the more admirable virtues as name meanings go, it’s a little strong - as someone who isn’t religious, for whom verity would be, say, foremost of a virtue, I still think it’s very strong, almost like [name]Darwin[/name] or on the other hand, [name]Jesus[/name]. In another thread, someone brings up the name “[name]Bliss[/name]” which most agree is more of a huge burden in meaning, although it means something entirely positive and something we’d all like to achieve if we could. I think of [name]Verity[/name] much the same way.

I love [name]Verity[/name] and its one of my top choices for our bubs due in [name]November[/name]. I’m [name]Glad[/name] people like [name]Verity[/name] [name]Jane[/name] as we’re probably going with [name]Verity[/name] [name]Joan[/name] as [name]Joan[/name] was My Grandmonthers name.

Thank you for all your opinions on [name]Verity[/name]. I guess I never really thought of [name]Verity[/name] in the sense that [name]Karen[/name] has. It is a good way to think of it and now that you mention it, I don’t think I could go through with this name as I feel it WOULD be hard to live up to. I always think about this in comparison to my own name and if I were to be named [name]Grace[/name] how contradicting my name would be…Maybe it could be argued though that your name somehow shapes who you are, I don’t know… :slight_smile:

I love it, because it means “truth” in French.

Ummm, I think you’re thinking of “vrai”, or “vrais”. [name]Verity[/name] is from the Latin.

I like it. It is interesting and has depth.

Ummm, I think you’re thinking of “vrai”, or “vrais”. [name]Verity[/name] is from the Latin.[/quote]

V”rit” is also a word in French, like [name]Verity[/name] in English, that’s root is Veritas in Latin. They all mean truth. A lot of French and English (as well as many other languages) words are derived from Latin.

[name]Love[/name] it!

I have always loved [name]Verity[/name], though my hubby pretty much hates it! We joked that if we ever got pregnant with twins (boy and girl) he could name the boy [name]Justus[/name] [name]Josiah[/name] (nn JJ?) and I could name the girl [name]Verity[/name] [name]Grace[/name]! Total overload on vitues, that’s what made this more of a joke than anything (and the fact that it’s unlikely we’d get pregnant with twins boy/girl), even though we like all four of these names.

For what it’s worth, on a different note, I don’t necessarily think that [name]Verity[/name] has to be a name that is difficult to live up to. Yes, it is a virtue name, but it can mean many things: “to know the truth”, “to live for truth”, “to be true to one’s self”, “to be in search of truth”, “to always be truthful” (this would be the difficult one to ‘live up to’ possibly, but some of the other “meanings” might not be as weighty). I love names with substantial meaning, but also think that while a name can shape a person somewhat, a person can also appropriate and adapt the meaning of a name to suit themselves. Does that make sense?

Afterthought: I just wanted to add that I do think some names (such as “[name]Grace[/name]” – not only because of its meaning, but also because of it’s sound and name-style) don’t leave much room for interpretation/adaptation.

Personally, I really really don’t like it. I think it is too harsh sounding.

I knew someone called [name]Verity[/name], and it was nn to Vez. Definately not a very feminine name.