What do you think of "Yukon"

I know this isn’t really a name but I just love it. Yes it is a car, a potato, and a place in [name]Canada[/name], but I just love it. We were thinking Yukon [name]Pheonix[/name] or Yukon [name]Jacob[/name]. What do you think? [name]Will[/name] he be teased or always have to say, “yes like the car” or do you think people would understand. Thanks for the input!

I really don’t like when someone thinks of a car before what it was named for. (No, that’s not a problem with the name, or with you. It’s a problem I have with anyone who’d insult a name like that.)

Yukon’s in the vein of using - mainly western - US states as names. Unlike many of those, it sounds like a definitely male name. The hesitation I have concerning such names is that they sound like descriptive nicknames. “Yukon [name]Jake[/name]” is an appellation I wouldn’t be surprised to see on a character in a Western.

Yukon [name]Phoenix[/name] is trying way too hard to be cool. Yukon [name]Jacob[/name] is still trying hard, but I don’t want to dismiss it because there are many place names I do like. Is there any more reason why you like it?

Personally, I am impressed when people come up with new concepts to name their children and don’t follow the latest trends or simply conform for conformity’s sake.

I also think that if you love a name and think it will be a great name for your kid - no matter what anyone else says - go for it. Oh, and probably keep it to yourself until after the baby is born and named to avoid rude comments.

But, since you are asking for my opinion, I don’t like Yukon. I don’t like the sound of it and it conjures images of a mountain hermit named “Yukon [name]Jack[/name]” or a cartoon character like [name]Yosemite[/name] [name]Sam[/name].

I can’t help but think of Yukon [name]Cornelius[/name] from the old cartoon version of [name]Rudolph[/name] the [name]Red[/name] Nosed Reindeer, but I suppose it could grow on me.

As a Canadian, growing up hearing this strictly as a place name (and not the most elegant sounding one at that) leans me heavily to the “no” side. I think “[name]Alberta[/name]” is the only province name that sounds almost decent as a name for a human being, but even that is a stretch for me. There are only 10 provinces and 3 territories up here, so these names are very strongly tied to the map. Otherwise I agree with the images presented by the other posters- Goldrush and [name]Yosemite[/name] [name]Sam[/name].

In short, I think there are way more reasons to make fun of a kid beyond it being a car name. If you love it, use it, but maybe put it in the middle?

[name]How[/name] is this not everyones association? I don’t think of the car at all, Yukon [name]Cornelius[/name] is enough to keep me away from the name. Yukon [name]Jacob[/name] is alright, but Yukon [name]Phoenix[/name] is way too much.

I’m in [name]Texas[/name]. Half of the people I know drive a Yukon, if they don’t have a [name]Tahoe[/name]. Yukon is strictly an SUV name around here.

[name]Even[/name] if it weren’t for the other associations, I just can’t picture it on a little boy :frowning:

I instantly think Yukon [name]Jack[/name].

For me, Yukon is a place in [name]Canada[/name]. Cold, isloated, snow, ice…I have to say “no”. It’s not a good choice. There are so many lovely place name choices if that’s your inspiration. If it’s the vehicle, please don’t name a child after a car brand. It’s not cool.