What do you think?

[name]Do[/name] you think [name]Saoirse[/name] would forever be mispronounced in a Mid-Western town? WDYT of the name and pronunciation?

Also can you think of any names that could come to the nn [name]Penny[/name], besides [name]Penelope[/name]
I was thinking [name]Payson[/name], but is that too much of a stretch?

I grew up in MA with two (2!) Siobhans. After the first, huh? we all knew how to say it.
Great name. I would go for it!

Honestly, I consider myself pretty wordlly and I have to be honest, I don’t know how to pronounce the name. I have seen the name but never heard it.
Her friends, classmates will learn how to say it in 2 days then it won’t be thought of again.
But realistically, she will go through life educating people how to say her name. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. We live in an international society now and we are all getting used to new names. You need to think about how much it will bother you (or her) to do so.

I don’t know how to pronounce the name. I have seen the name but never heard it.

Its said SEER-sha or SARE-sha.

I think she would have some troubles but I don’t think it would be a real big deal. After awhile the people she goes to school with or works with will catch on :smiley:

As for [name]Penny[/name], [name]Payson[/name] may be a bit of a stretch. I don’t really like [name]Payson[/name] anyways. What about…[name]Prunella[/name]? That’s probably too much of a stretch as well. Maybe even [name]Prudence[/name].

HTH!

[name]Saoirse[/name] - I agree with above that those around her will learn quickly. But I know I personally would tire of always having to spell it.

For nn [name]Penny[/name] other than [name]Penelope[/name], maybe [name]Aspen[/name], [name]Caprina[/name], [name]Paulina[/name], [name]Temperance[/name], [name]Spencer[/name] - this one’s tough!

It would definitely be constantly mispronounced. I think it’s a good idea to explore other options, but if you really love it, it’s a gorgeous name so it might be worth it. And there’s a teenage actress called [name]Saoirse[/name] [name]Ronan[/name]- she was in The [name]Lovely[/name] Bones and got an oscar nom for Atonement- who seems to be rising in popularity. If her career gets bigger, the name will probably become more familiar to people.