What does everyone think about Frederick?

Recently I’ve come to appreciate the name [name]Frederick[/name]. I really like the nickname [name]Freddie[/name] (though I’m probably in the minority there), and of course, [name]Fred[/name] Weasley is an excellent association. :wink: I think it’s an underused classic, and has a certain appeal-- does anyone else agree? I also like it spelled [name]Frederic[/name], but I think that has a different pronunciation… Another thing: do you think [name]Frankie[/name] would work as a nickname, or is it too much of a stretch? I like [name]Frankie[/name] a lot, but not so much [name]Frank[/name], [name]Francis[/name], or [name]Franklin[/name]. Also, can anyone think of any good middle names for [name]Frederick[/name]? Thanks! :slight_smile:

BTW, I’m not pregnant or anything, just name-obsessed!

I also really like [name]Frederick[/name] and am glad to hear that someone else does too! I love [name]Freddy[/name]/[name]Freddie[/name] as a nn - it sounds soft and warm and sweet to me - a perfect complement to the buttoned-up formality of the full [name]Frederick[/name].
To me [name]Frankie[/name] seems like too much of a stretch - particularly because it’s already a nn for those other names and because [name]Frederick[/name] does have its own nn.
I think lots of names would work with it as a middle name - just depends on your last name.
Thanks for sharing!

I love [name]Freddie[/name]. I thin kit went out of fashion because of the 80’s Friday 13th movies. Wasn’t the killer’s name [name]Freddy[/name]? But I know a sweet little [name]Freddie[/name] who is 4 now.

[name]Love[/name] it! It’s terribly underused and [name]Freddie[/name] is an adorable nickname.

Its one of my favorite names ever! I love it so much! My brother is 20 and I’m trying to convince him to name his future son this because I want a little [name]Freddie[/name] to love and my husband will never allow it! If I had chosen my sons name all by myself, I would have picked [name]Frederick[/name] right away and the search would have been over!

I’ve met a very cute little [name]Freddie[/name]. A guy the works at the grocery store is [name]Fred[/name] and that’s why I started liking the name, just sounded so cool to me. But what takes the cake is when I used to work at this little produce market, this extremely handsome youngish man came in wearing a suit and his hair was all nice. And he was one of my coworkers nephew’s and she said “[name]Hi[/name] [name]Fred[/name]!” I was blown away! He went on to talk about interesting things and I fell even more in love with the name. This was while I was pregnant, by the way, it such a tragedy that my husband utterly dismissed it.

I do think [name]Frankie[/name] is too much of a stretch. But hey, i met [name]Virginia[/name] who goes by [name]Vicky[/name], so it doesn’t really matter!

I love it too, but am really curious about reasons behind dissent I might have overlooked. Why does your husband disallow it?

He doesn’t have a specific reason. He just thinks it’s old and boring, mostly boring. He thinks [name]Freddy[/name]/[name]Freddie[/name] is alright (sort of, he doesn’t like it much), but he HATES [name]Fred[/name], probably because he went to high school with that guy who works at the grocery store and he doesn’t like him. And then he thinks [name]Frederick[/name] is way too “weird”, I think he also thinks it’s too fancy or something. But as far as I know, there aren’t any negative associations most people would have with it.

I love it too, but am really curious about reasons behind dissent I might have overlooked. Why does your husband disallow it?[/quote]

I think many people (probably mostly men) might think it seems a bit ‘nerdy.’ [name]Freddy[/name] is often depicted in movies/tv as kind of a goofball. [name]Fred[/name] Weasley is an exception (though surely a goofball!) but none of the HP characters have particularly ‘cool’ names. I don’t know where you are, but in the US, we haven’t cottoned on to the [name]Freddy[/name], [name]Alfie[/name], [name]Georgie[/name] trend that is so popular in the UK. I think [name]Frederick[/name] is cute, though personally I prefer just [name]Fred[/name] as the nn.

I love the name [name]Frederick[/name]! I think it would be a great first name or middle name. Many one- and two-syllable names would go well with it. As for possible nns: [name]Freddie[/name] is fine! There is also [name]Rick[/name].

Oh my gosh I love love [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Freddie[/name] and [name]Frederick[/name]!!! [name]Frederick[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name] are tied for my #1 Boys’ name, the nicknames I like are [name]Freddie[/name] and [name]Teddy[/name] so I can only pick one of them to use :(. [name]Theodore[/name] just might edge [name]Frederick[/name] out because it has the same meaning of my name “God’s gift” (my name is [name]Jenna[/name]). You should definitely use it, it’s a wonderful, underused classic.