What does everyone think about Hadrian?

[name]Hadrian[/name]'s one of my new finds. I love how much history it has, yet it still sounds fresh and interesting. I’m worried it may be too over the top, though. Or too similar to [name]Adrian[/name].

So, what do you think? Any similar names to suggest? Does it fit with the names in my signature, specifically [name]Matthias[/name]?

Thank you! :slight_smile:

I think [name]Hadrian[/name] would make a great middle name. Not sure I would use it for a first name.

I also like the history of the name but I’m not sure how many people will recognize the historical significance of [name]Hadrian[/name].

It’s a fine enough name, but on introduction EVERYONE is going to think you said [name]Adrian[/name]. The H is just a breath, and they won’t hear it because they’re so used to hearing [name]Adrian[/name] which is far more common.

I immediately think of [name]Hadrian[/name]'s [name]Wall[/name]. I agree with the other posters that it is better suited as a middle name. I prefer [name]Adrian[/name] for a first name.

I guess I’m in the minority here but I think its a great name–good history, not common but not wacky and a good strong name for a boy. I don’t think it would mixed up with [name]Adrian[/name], but that might because of how people in my area pronounce the letter ‘h’, there’s enough distinction that it doesn’t disappear.

1 Like

I guess I’m an ignorant minority because I would’ve thought you made it up. I had no idea that it was part of history until I read the previous comments.

Does it fit with the names in my signature, specifically Matthias?

Some of the others are more ordinary, but I don’t find [name]Hadrian[/name] that weird. It’s like [name]Leander[/name]: an underused classical name sounding similar to (and in this case, actually a form of) a more common name. They’re both names I keep forgetting to put on my list.

I also often forget that accents that drop initial H’s are real and common, as they’re not common where I live. I’m never sure whether to drop a name because some English accents can’t say it the way I want.

I love [name]Hadrian[/name]! I think it is awesome. It’s different, but also a REAL NAME! I’ve never seen it used in real life, and I would love to meet one. I think it goes exceptionally well with the names in your signature.

1 Like

Thanks everyone! I think you’re right, this one is probably best suited to middle name/guilty pleasure status! :slight_smile:

I completely love [name]Hadrian[/name]! It’s been on my list for a while because it conveys that sense of history that I love in a name that is so difficult for me to find. That one little letter makes it much more masculine than [name]Adrian[/name] (maybe I think it’s so feminine because I have a cousin [name]Adrienne[/name]), and I think it’s usable as a first name. It definitely fits well with [name]Matthias[/name].

1 Like

What holbs said – taken to the tenth power. I love [name]Hadrian[/name] as a fresh name grounded in history. I really like the idea of putting it first.
Sometimes risks can really pay off in baby naming. I would say this is one of those times.

1 Like

Look, I love [name]Roman[/name] names. My oldest is named [name]Romina[/name]. [name]Livia[/name] and [name]Julia[/name] were on my list for our third girl. [name]Annia[/name] is one of my all-time name crushes. When I learned that one of our friends named his daughter [name]Flavia[/name], I swooned! I’d name a boy [name]Marcus[/name] or [name]Marco[/name]. [name]Say[/name] what you will about [name]Carla[/name] Bruni, she did name her son [name]Aurelien[/name]. DH and I even have a running joke that if we ever have a boy his name will be [name]Martin[/name] [name]Roman[/name] _____ ([name]Martin[/name] is DH’s name but [name]Martin[/name] [name]Roman[/name] would honor two of his favorite soccer players, [name]Argentina[/name]'s [name]Martin[/name] [name]Palermo[/name] and [name]Juan[/name] [name]Roman[/name] Riquelme.) However, [name]Hadrian[/name] may be a bit over-the-top. This will be the refrain of your son’s life: It’s spelled H and then [name]Adrian[/name]. I know; I have a name that gets misspelled in the two countries I’ve lived in and while it’s not going to drive me into an early grave I do grit my teeth and mentally violate the honor thy father and mother commandment every time I have to spell out my name AGAIN. My humble advice is either use [name]Hadrian[/name] as a middle name or name him [name]Adrian[/name]. Good luck!

P.S. I agree that people sometimes have a bit of trouble mastering a name that sounds familiar but has a twist. But sometimes those names are worth the small trouble. I think people will remember your [name]Hadrian[/name] while it is the Adrians who are more likely to disappear in memory.

1 Like

[name]Just[/name] to clarify: I’m definitely not pregnant, and if I were to use this it would probably be in 10-15 years. [name]Just[/name] hypothetical musings! :slight_smile:

Hm, seems like [name]Hadrian[/name] gets a vote of approval from a few of you… I appreciate the comments!

[name]Just[/name] to add in my two cents about the mispronunciation, I’m afraid I have to side with the people who say he will be called [name]Adrian[/name] all his life.

My husband’s name is [name]Dustin[/name] and was born when [name]Justin[/name] was an extremely popular name. [name]Every[/name] time he introduces himself people think they heard [name]Justin[/name], simply because it’s more common. It’s bad enough that when we go out to eat now, I put my name in on the reservation list so that we don’t have the waiter calling for “[name]Justin[/name]” and us standing around not responding (as has happened several times in the past).

[name]Love[/name] the meaning behind the name though and it would be make a superb middle imho.