What does your SO think of your name lists?

What did you discover when you first started talking about names with your SO? [name_f]Do[/name_f] your styles match, or do they hate some of your favourites? What names did you have to sadly depart with?

3 Likes

Oooh I love this! When I first showed my SO my name list it was pretty early on in our relationship and he thought it was a bit odd. Now weā€™re engaged and TTC and heā€™s completely into it, regularly contributing and editing our ā€œshortlistā€! Nothing could make me happier.

I weirdly get a real thrill when he rules out a name, itā€™s like ok well thatā€™s out of the question! Unfortunately I only like 10% of the names he suggests, heā€™s a real name inventor, but when we settle on one itā€™s the best feeling in the world. He also dislikes ā€œnormalā€ names and has encouraged me to keep names I love that I think are too daring at times! Which has actually pushed me to be a bit more conservative now which is funny.

We havenā€™t named any real children yet but I think when we do it will be a balance between recognisable and not too popular, which a bit of nature thrown in there. Some of our favourites at the moment are: [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Arabella[/name_f]. Boys names are harder. He is absolutely set on [name_u]Oleander[/name_u] for a boy but honestly I donā€™t think I can do it! He also loves [name_m]Silas[/name_m] while I love [name_u]Elias[/name_u]. Iā€™m secretly hoping heā€™ll come round to [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] or [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] when we have an actual baby but right now theyā€™re way too popular and normal for him.

BTW @floatinthesky one of my besties just named her daughter [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] a few weeks ago and it is just PERFECT. Another good friend has a [name_u]Marlow[/name_u] (boy) born in 2018 but I love it on a girl too.

1 Like

S/Oā€™s pretty easygoing with names - we both like a pretty broad spectrum of styles but we both seem to be into the 80s vibes and sweet sounding names for girls.

For boys weā€™re not really on the same page, but weā€™re both very picky LOL.

1 Like

@gabi88 Thanks for sharing! Ahh, I canā€™t wait to be at that stage! I love your current favourites, [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] is stunning. I also find boys names much harder than girls, not sure why. I think most people have one that they find easier than the other for some reason! And not that a strangerā€™s opinion really counts for much, but I also prefer [name_u]Elias[/name_u] to [name_u]Oleander[/name_u] :wink:

1 Like

Before we got pregnant with our boys DH and I used to try to think up the wildest, most random names possible. In fact, it started while we were still dating. One time he suggested [name_m]Excalibur[/name_m] :laughing: and that is what led us to [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], who became our firstborn. Lol Iā€™m hoping it doesnā€™t get as popular in the US as it is in the UK but I love it. :blush:

2 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] partner is not as big a name nerd as I am, but she does like discussing names with me! Especially now that weā€™re expecting our twins, it seems like not a day goes by that we donā€™t talk about it. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though weā€™ve decided what weā€™re going to name them itā€™s still fun to consider different options. Our taste in names overlaps a lot which is great, but she is slightly less adventurous than I am - sheā€™s not keen on some of my favorites/guilty pleasures like [name_f]Tulip[/name_f] or [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u], although she thinks they could go in the middle spot.

2 Likes

Our styles are a tad different, but somehow managed to name our brood together. Each kid was a joint-effort. He generally bent to what I liked best, and I took real considerations of his preferences and sentiments.
I love each of our kids names.

1 Like

I thought that we might have some different tastes in names based on our cultural differences, but it turns out I love many spanish names, and heā€™s just particular about names in general, as in he ultimately likes few that I suggestā€¦ oopsšŸ˜Š He is mainly interested in names that mean something to him, i.e. a soccer player he loves , fave characters & family members. I mostly care about the sound of it. he has a quite stunning name himself and would love to have a 3rd (since he is a jr) but I am concerned about the annoying and sometimes inconvenient mix ups that happen when you share the same name as dad. even though he is the one who experiences it, it doesnā€™t deter him. rather sweet of him I think but Iā€™m not sold on it yet. our most agreed on names are [name_f]Rosa[/name_f], [name_f]Maisie[/name_f], and [name_f]Persephone[/name_f], and somehow, Ichigo for a boy (pronounced EE-chee-go; crazy, I know)

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband was super easy going when I first let him in on my names lists. In fact so much so, I thought Iā€™d pretty much be able to pick any name for our kids and heā€™d role with it.
Turns out, once we actually got pregnant and now have a kid to name he DEFINITELY has his opinions about names :joy: fortunately he likes the girl names Iā€™ve put forward but of my long list of boys names thereā€™s only one we agree on! So if itā€™s a boy, [name_u]Alfie[/name_u] it is :joy:

2 Likes

I forgot to mention that he has vetoed most names from my list, like [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] and [name_u]Halle[/name_u]ā€¦ while I have vetoed Gohan and [name_m]Goku[/name_m] (dead serious suggestions)

1 Like

Haha, sounds like someone is a Dragon Ball fan! [name_f]Violet[/name_f] & [name_u]Halle[/name_u] are stunning.

2 Likes

We are trying for baby #1 and I always believed my partner would have a very traditional view when it came to names. What I learned:

1. He really dislikes ā€œold fashionedā€ names: I love classic ā€˜old ladyā€™ names ([name_f]Elsie[/name_f], [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], etc) and he really doesnā€™t understand the appeal. I have only just won him over with my top girls choice [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f].

2. He is actually a bit more adventurous than I thought: His top choices for a boy are [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] and [name_u]Dexter[/name_u], and he likes [name_f]Bee[/name_f], [name_u]Piper[/name_u], [name_f]Juno[/name_f] and [name_f]Ada[/name_f] for a girl. Didnā€™t expect this.

3. He is not a huge fan of gender neutral names: I love [name_u]Hayden[/name_u], [name_u]Parker[/name_u], [name_u]Peyton[/name_u] for a girl and he has vetoed all of these!

4. He has a really good ear when it comes to name combos. He has come up with some that sound so melodic and lovely. Definitely a skill :joy:

2 Likes