What Era is your name from?

Hello Berries :wave:

What era is your name from?

If your comfortable, is your name common among your peers?

How has your name and the era its from impacted your taste in names?

Thanks!
-bee :honeybee:

1 Like

my birth name was made up and not really from any era, and I always disliked it/lacked a connection to it. it also sounded similar to a familiar name and people always misspelled it until I didnā€™t bother correcting. I think it mightā€™ve had some influence on how I donā€™t like modern invented names, but I think I was always bound to like older names.

my chosen name was most popular in 1908 (topping out at 148) so I guess it could be a 1900s name? I havenā€™t met anyone else my age with my name, but I donā€™t necessarily find it to be too ā€œoldā€ for me. I do like older familiar names a lot! so I do think a good bit of my style is represented in that.

2 Likes

I have an ā€œolderā€ name too, and people seem to really like it! I think I am open to names from any era but I like when they connect to something! Thanks for the response :blush::sparkles:

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] name peaked in the 60s and 70s, but was still in the top 100 when I was born in the 90s. It does have a slightly ā€œolder-than-meā€ ring to it, but not especially so. I occasionally meet someone my age with my name, but not too often.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] name was very trendy around the time I was born and only grew in popularity after that, and I definitely think that impacted my taste in names, or at least my wariness around trendy names. I never loved my name to begin with, but growing up I always hated that people could basically tell how old I was just based off my name and how whenever I introduced myself to someone else my age there was about a 50/50 chance theyā€™d immediately respond ā€œoh thereā€™s a girl in my class named Avery!ā€. Interestingly, when they chose my name my parents had NO CLUE that it was trending and had never even heard of it before, having encountered it somewhere else that had had zero to do with its trendiness at the time, and thought they were giving me a really unique name, so of course thatā€™s a pretty big fear of mine for if I have kids.

I was actually pondering it recently, and I think that if I didnā€™t have a bunch of memories of always disliking my name, and particularly it werenā€™t as popular, I might actually really like it, though itā€™s hard to say. But I do think trendiness definitely has played a huge role in my opinion.

3 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] name is a pretty vintage-style name, but I havenā€™t met many my age with my name, mostly because it was ā€œout of seasonā€ in the 90ā€™s. I get a lot of really older people telling me they used to know people with my name, and I hear a lot of kids under 10 with my name.

[name_f]My[/name_f] mom chose what she thought was an alternate spelling, but what really was a ā€œwrongā€ spelling haha, which makes it feel not vintage to me haha. I havenā€™t ever loved my name, and I wonder if I had the proper spelling, if I would like it more or less. I do like vintage names now, but who knows if my name is one Iā€™d like because Iā€™m not sure I like the sound of the name regardless. I definitely prefer the standard spelling of a name, but I might have felt that way regardless of how my name was spelt because I would always forget that I had a unique spelling.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] name is pretty classic. And tbh I never really thought about liking/disliking my own name. It was most popular around/in the decade I was born but has charted for at least 100 years, and was a well known name before then.

As for its influence on my taste in names. I do think it made me want something more unfamiliar but also something that had meaning. As my siblings names had meaning to my parents where as mine was just a name they liked. Which wasnt bad but made me want my girls names to have more meaning beyond ā€˜I just liked itā€™

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] name has big 80-90s vibes according to everyone else. I get it, it was trending for my generation, but since I didnā€™t meet another [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] until I was 11 I thought it was this rare magical princess name for years and years. It means ā€˜crownā€™, which little me found enchanting. Then I went to high school and had five others with the same name in my cohort :see_no_evil: which I was so upset about.

I think having my name has been a huge influence on my name taste as well as influencing me to become a name nerd in the first place ~ if Iā€™d have looked up the meaning of my name as a child and found it was something more workaday Iā€™m not sure it would have sparked the same interest in etymology I have now. Also, I absolutely love most Greek names which is probably influenced by having one!

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] birth nameā€¦ I think silent gen. Very old. Never meet people with it. Iā€™ve always hated it; never gets spelled/pronounced right, and (unpopular opinion) I think itā€™s kind of bland

[name_f]My[/name_f] chosen name (Morgan) is timeless.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] name (Grace) first became popular in the 17th century with the Puritans, remained popular in the 19th century, fell out of style a little for a while then came back into popularity the year after I was born :person_shrugging:

[name_f]My[/name_f] name is popular amongst peers. Thereā€™s often another one my age around, but lots of younger Graces.

I think I tend to stray away from super popular names like my own.

1 Like

This form of my name has been around since the [name_u]New[/name_u] Testament was written in Koine Greek. Itā€™s veeeeeeery common. Probably the most common feminine name in the world. And I know heaps. I do like classic names, but Iā€™m not really fond of common ones.

2 Likes

Since pre koine Ancient Greece, probably.

1 Like

Good day! Thank you for the information.

1 Like

i always find things like this so interesting to answer as it really varies country to country for me!

in australia (where iā€™m from), gemma had roughly twin peaks in the late 80s-early 90s, and early-mid 2000s, while jemma had a brief moment on the charts in the early 2000s.

in the uk, both gemma and jemma peaked in that same 80s/90s period before dropping off the charts approaching 2010, while in the us this is when both just began to rank - and while jemma has recently dropped off just a bit, gemma still appears to be on an upward trajectory.

this absolutely checks out for me in real life - iā€™ve met a few gemmas in their 30s, heard of a jemma in her late 20s and met a few teenage gemmas but iā€™d say none younger than about 13, which is scarily reflective of the popularity data.

i donā€™t think the era my name is from has impacted my taste in names too much - itā€™s more the spelling for me, although the fact that the more common spelling peaked around the same time has probably contributed to some of my frustration around this.

this is kind of reflective of my own experience actually! i never met a gemma and loved that (and still havenā€™t actually met a jemma, but thatā€™s besides the point) until high school, when there were more in my relatively small school than girls named isabella, emily, chloe or mia - four of the top five names in my birth year :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

Mine was popular from ~1890 to ~1920, and itā€™s recently (~2019) risen back to that level of popularity.

I absolutely adore vintage and vivacious names like mine! Iā€™m not sure the style of my name impacted my own name tastes (I think my taste in books, music, media has had more of an impact), but it definitely happens that I enjoy a lot of names that were popular when mine initials was. And, I adore my own name!

2 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] name (spelt the way it is) doesnā€™t really have an era from my research. Itā€™s very very uncommon where I live so Iā€™m not surprised.

It was not a common name at all among my peers.

I definitely think my name has influenced my taste in names. [name_f]My[/name_f] name is traditionally a boy name, and growing up I was the biggest girly girl. I felt like my name didnā€™t suit me. [name_f]My[/name_f] sister had a nickname name, very girly, and I was always envious. I think due to that I prefer girly, sweet nickname names for my girls.
Additionally my name was kinda difficult for people to pronounce and spell. I think thatā€™s why I prefer easy names to spell.
However I think now Iā€™m older I do like my name, and I do like how itā€™s unique. So I tend to lean towards more unique names now.

2 Likes

to be honest, i donā€™t know :sweat_smile: my legal name is vasilia. itā€™s a feminization of vasileios//vasilis/basil which has been in use since ancient greek times, but i canā€™t find any info on when the feminization started being used! itā€™s a very rare name and so itā€™s not associated with any time period, so i wouldnā€™t say it has affected my taste in names

4 Likes

mine doesnā€™t seem to have one in terms of people iā€™ve met. i have met one my age and one who was in her 20s or 30s (she was from i think czechia so thatā€™s different), and my sister also knows one whoā€™s around 12ish (??). iā€™ve gotten a surprising amount of "thatā€™s my (friendā€™s) grandmaā€™s (middle) name!!"s, it hasnā€™t ranked in the us since '73, and it peaked in 1894 at 435. so i guess itā€™s an 1890s name??

2 Likes

Itā€™s a 1950s-1980s name. I didnā€™t know anyone with my name till I was 11. I like the look of my name - itā€™s tailored - but itā€™s not user friendly - no good nicknames, people mishear it as either a boysā€™ name or a string of (to me) pretty unappealing names. In terms of influences, I used to love hyper frilly names but I think Iā€™m a tailored gal at heart because of my name. I also make sure names have a good nickname option. Finally, the meaning itself has definitely shaped my sled-identity and choices - so I therefore avoid names with negative or potentially negative meanings.

2 Likes

my name is from basically every era. itā€™s popular right now, and it was popular 100 years ago. so yeah, pretty common among my peers. :sweat_smile:
i think it has impacted my taste in names, actually, because now iā€™m very cautious about giving my future kids ultra common names.

1 Like