What first names go with the middle name Ella?

What first name would go well with the middle name [name]Ella[/name] (after her great-grandmother) and a “Mc” surname? We like classic names but would prefer not to have a name in the top 10 or 20. Coming up with names is harder than it sounds. :slight_smile:

So fill in the blank: _______ [name]Ella[/name] Mc—.

[name]Hi[/name]! [name]Ella[/name] is a tough one in the middle, because it attaches to the end of the first name, sounding like a long name that ends with “[name]Ella[/name].” Hmm… I think the “[name]Ella[/name]” name issue is less obvious with a longer first name, but that may just be me.

Hmm…You may like:

[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Ella[/name] Mc___
[name]Margaret[/name] [name]Ella[/name] Mc___ (nn [name]Maisie[/name] or [name]Daisy[/name])
[name]Vivian[/name] [name]Ella[/name] Mc____
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Ella[/name] Mc____

Of the above, I think that [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Ella[/name] sounds the least like one long -ella name. (I’m saying [name]Margaret[/name] with three syllables–the middle one is subtle, but I know a lot of people pronounce it with only two.)

You could also incorporate [name]El[/name], [name]Ella[/name], or [name]Elle[/name] into the first or middle name:

[name]Annabelle[/name]/[name]Annabella[/name]
[name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Mirabelle[/name]
[name]Marielle[/name]
[name]Rosabelle[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]/[name]Eleanora[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

What about:

[name]Caroline[/name] [name]Ella[/name]
[name]Naomi[/name] [name]Ella[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Ella[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Ella[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name] [name]Ella[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Ella[/name]

I’m glad I could give you a challenge. :slight_smile: I think you’re right about it generally working better with longer names. I like your suggestion of [name]Margaret[/name], so I’ll definitely add that to the list.

I’m not quite as fond of combining [name]Ella[/name] into the first name, just because it’s not as much of a tribute that way. Thanks for your ideas.

[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Ella[/name] Mc–
[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Ella[/name] Mc–
[name]Adelaide[/name] [name]Ella[/name] Mc–
[name]Felicity[/name] [name]Ella[/name] Mc–
[name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Ella[/name] Mc–
[name]Cecily[/name] [name]Ella[/name] Mc–
[name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Ella[/name] Mc–
[name]Caroline[/name] [name]Ella[/name] Mc–
[name]Meredith[/name] [name]Ella[/name] Mc–
[name]Marguerite[/name] [name]Ella[/name] Mc–
[name]Iris[/name] [name]Ella[/name] Mc–
[name]Sadie[/name] [name]Ella[/name] Mc–
[name]Brigid[/name] [name]Ella[/name] Mc–
[name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Ella[/name] Mc–
[name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Ella[/name] Mc–
[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Ella[/name] Mc–
[name]Amity[/name] [name]Ella[/name] Mc–

[quote=“awm”]

I’m glad I could give you a challenge. :slight_smile: I think you’re right about it generally working better with longer names. I like your suggestion of [name]Margaret[/name], so I’ll definitely add that to the list.

I’m not quite as fond of combining [name]Ella[/name] into the first name, just because it’s not as much of a tribute that way. Thanks for your ideas.[/quote]

You’re welcome! [name]Ella[/name] in the middle was tricky! :slight_smile: Have you thought about using [name]Ella[/name] as a first name? I’m guessing not, because of the popularity. [name]Just[/name] in case it’s an option for you, though:

[name]Ella[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name]/[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Ella[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Ella[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Ella[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Ella[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Ella[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Ella[/name] [name]Rosaline[/name]

I love [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Ella[/name], and don’t think that [name]Ella[/name] blends with the T like it does with names that end in N. If you don’t mind combos that blend, you may like [name]Mary[/name] [name]Ella[/name] Mc____. [name]Even[/name] though it blends, I think it has a beautiful sound, probably because I love the name [name]Marielle[/name]. :slight_smile:

Take care!

Yeah, [name]Ella[/name] is just too popular to use as a first name. However, I’m open to your idea of names that blend into -ella. I don’t think that I like [name]Mary[/name] enough to go with [name]Mary[/name] [name]Ella[/name], but I like the idea. Are there any other names like this? Of all of the -ella names, I’m guessing that most of them wouldn’t work ([name]Gabriella[/name] can’t turn into Gabry [name]Ella[/name], for example).

Yeah, [name]Ella[/name] is just too popular to use as a first name. However, I’m open to your idea of names that blend into -ella. I don’t think that I like [name]Mary[/name] enough to go with [name]Mary[/name] [name]Ella[/name], but I like the idea. Are there any other names like this? Of all of the -ella names, I’m guessing that most of them wouldn’t work ([name]Gabriella[/name] can’t turn into Gabry [name]Ella[/name], for example).[/quote]

[name]Hi[/name]! :slight_smile: Most of the name are like [name]Gabriella[/name] in that they don’t divide correctly, but there’s:

[name]Lucy[/name] [name]Ella[/name] ([name]Luciella[/name] is an Italian name)
[name]Rose[/name] [name]Ella[/name] ([name]Rosella[/name] is the name, but [name]Rose[/name] [name]Ella[/name] works to me)

Good luck! :slight_smile: