What if you just can't choose?

We’re now 3 weeks out from my wife’s due date, and we can’t choose the name for our daughter. Honestly, I’m reaching the point of name exhaustion. We just keep swirling around a handful of names, and now suddenly, this week, have cooled on two original favorites and have completely re-opened the pool. This is driving me nuts.

Any tips on stopping the madness and just choosing?

Well first I would take the two names you like and make sure they are really the names you are absolutely in love with. Then I would ask family and friends to vote on the two names. Not that you should go with what they decide because it is your decision, but that way you can see what people think about the names. If you just can’t decide after that I think you should just wait and pray about what name to use. Then when she comes you can name her after you see her. That usually works for a lot of people. Good luck!

I can completely relate to your situation. I have 3 weeks to go until our baby arrives, and we just cannot seem to decide on a name for a girl. We toss around ideas, but just can’t seem to find one that we both [name]LOVE[/name]. It is so frustrating! We have about 3 names that we are considering, so I think we have decided to wait until the baby arrives. We’re hoping that we’ll know what to name her once we see her (if we even have a girl). People claim you’ll just know once you see your baby- I certainly hope they are right!!!

The last few weeks of pregnancy are especially anxious, and, in my case, thinking about names was a soothing thing to do. Took my mind off of a lot of things. When I was pregnant with my second baby, it felt like if I stood up, everything inside my body including all my internal organs and even my brains, was going to fall out on the floor. So I thought about [name]Anne[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Anne[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Ellen[/name] and [name]Laura[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]Rachael[/name] [name]Meredith[/name]…then, in the end my husband named our baby right after she was born. He had heard the list of names over and over and settled on [name]Laura[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]. He sounded so happy. Plus he was crying. I was crying, too. So I just thought, okay, that’s her name.
I had a very frightening pregnancy with [name]Laura[/name]. The doctor was so worried. But everything turned out fine when she was born.

I went to the hospital with 3 first names and a middle name chosen. It’s ok to wait til you see the baby. [name]Just[/name] take it easy and see how it goes. When the nurse hands you the clipboard with the Social Security form you will have to decide.

We’re having the same problem, although I still have about nine weeks to go. We named our son at 22 weeks, and when we found his name ([name]Owen[/name], now too popular, grrr!), it was one of those moments where we were like, “this is it, that’s his name.” We’ve now been thinking of names since the 18 week u/s when we found out it was a girl, and still can’t decide on anything. I’m suffering from naming exhaustion, too. I really don’t want to go to the hospital without a name, but it may come down to that.

I am in the same boat as the rest of you. 10 weeks to go and still debating. My husband hit name exhaustion a month ago and hates when I even bring up the subject. I was thinking of the “family poll”. However, I have been thinking that if I do this I would put a couple stipulations on them. 1. We will decide between one of these names on the list so don’t think that the poll allows you to give me 10 million more suggestions (b/c you know that if family knows you are wavering they will want to give you their ultimate names. 2. I don’t want to hear anything bad about the names b/c your grandchild, neice, etc. may end up with that name. [name]Just[/name] tell me which you like best.
Anyway, I haven’t done this yet b/c I fear I might regret the feedback from the grandmas. However, I thought I would tell you my 2 cents of advice in case you are thinking of the poll.

[name]Don[/name]'t panic, I bet when the baby comes one of the names you like will just seem to suit her.

If you think about a name too much, you will end up disliking it, even if previously it was one of your favourites. I suppose you just become bored of hearing it and discussing it over and over again. Keep your list of the names that you like, then just stop thinking about them (easier said than done) until the baby has been born. You’ll both be shattered, which somehow seems to make it easier to pick one …