What images do these names conjure?

I’m trying to name my four main characters, and I’m having quite a bit of trouble. What do these names bring to mind? Who should be the central character? Include nicknames, if you please.

[name]Silas[/name] [name]Virgil[/name] [name]Alden[/name]

[name]Percival[/name] [name]James[/name] Creeding

[name]Aurelia[/name] [name]Everly[/name] [name]Mercer[/name]

[name]Toril[/name] ____ ____

Come on, people.

[name]Silas[/name]-a young red or dirty blond haired boy with freckles, kind but quiet
Precival-brown haired, more outgoing, but with underlying worries and responsibilities. Possibly the hero?
[name]Aurelia[/name]- pretty girl who is fun and nice, sarcastic, and easily likable
[name]Toril[/name]-I’ve never heard that name before ad don’t even know if it’s a girl or a guy!!!

[name]Silas[/name] [name]Virgil[/name] [name]Alden[/name]- Quiet and brooding. I’d say [name]Silas[/name] was one of the main characters and [name]Percy[/name] was his entertaining friend

[name]Percival[/name] [name]James[/name] Creeding- The name [name]Percival[/name] always reminds me of someone mischievious and charming, good-looking. [name]Percy[/name]

[name]Aurelia[/name] [name]Everly[/name] [name]Mercer[/name]- Main girl. Delicate and pretty? Not like a damsel in distress. She’d maybe read a lot, really smart. I can’t picture a warrior woman with this name, but she wouldn’t be totally helpless. I think I read a book once where the main girl had this name and she was a princess but she was also a thief. Maybe [name]Lia[/name] for short? Not much in way of nicknames

[name]Toril[/name] [name]Annora[/name]
[name]Toril[/name] [name]Millicent[/name]
[name]Toril[/name] [name]Helisent[/name]
[name]Toril[/name] [name]Isolde[/name]

• The name [name]Toril[/name] makes me think of a really strong woman, someone stubborn and independent, maybe a little abrasive but really sweet underneath it all. Maybe she’d be or become [name]Aurelia[/name]'s close friend

[name]Silas[/name] [name]Alden[/name] - the L’s and A’s run together a bit, but it’s okay. Tough, moral guy, probably with a loud voice

[name]Percival[/name] Creeding - stuffy/stick up his butt, pushy. Though a nickname like Civ might alleviate that, but [name]Percy[/name]/[name]Perry[/name] is more natural.

[name]Aurelia[/name] [name]Mercer[/name] - lotsa R’s, big eyed and amazed by everything. Rilly would be a cute nn.

[name]Toril[/name] [name]Janica[/name] [name]Grady[/name] - older blonde woman, sage-like

If people’s ideas don’t match the real character, don’t be worried. As many (many, many) people have informed me, the actual person behind the name is what people associate the name with in a story. :slight_smile:

I love [name]Aurelia[/name], I think she should be the main character! I picture her to have long, golden locks and a quiet, thoughtful personality.

These will probably sound completely random and unfounded, but that’s how they appeared in my head, so here goes -

[name]Silas[/name] [name]Virgil[/name] [name]Alden[/name] - Practical and street-smart, but also a history nerd. A pessimist, but loyal. Good at arguing. Nicknames - [name]Si[/name], [name]Virge[/name] (?), [name]Sal[/name]

[name]Percival[/name] [name]James[/name] Creeding - Kind of the polar opposite of [name]Silas[/name]. Frivolous and kind of big-headed, but still likable. Nicknames - [name]Percy[/name]/[name]Perce[/name], Erce (?), PJ (my favorite, haha), PC…I actually think initial nicknames work well for the character I visualized.

[name]Aurelia[/name] [name]Everly[/name] [name]Mercer[/name] - This. Now this - all your names are great, don’t get me wrong, but this one is the one that jumped out at me. This is who I would guess was the heroine/protagonist of your story. I’d imagine her with fair hair and brown eyes, reads a lot, but more fiction, mythology, and poetry, rather than nonfiction like [name]Silas[/name]. Hot temper. Clumsy. Judgemental and kinda bossy (hey, nobody’s perfect). Strong and confident most of the time, puts up that facade even when she doesn’t actually feel that way, and masks any other emotions she might be feeling. Has this desperate desire to prove herself. Nicknames - [name]Aura[/name], [name]Lia[/name], [name]Ever[/name], [name]Allie[/name].

[name]Toril[/name] - like you said, the sensible, practical, tough woman. The one who keeps [name]Percival[/name] in order and gets [name]Silas[/name] to quit moping. The only one who can see through [name]Aurelia[/name]'s facades. The backbone. Is usually harsh, sarcastic, and brisk, but good at heart.

[name]Toril[/name] [name]Isolde[/name] is really good!

I agree, [name]Toril[/name] sounds very practical.

all your names sound like they belong to very beautiful, very hardcore BAMFs to me.

I’ve never heard the name [name]Toril[/name] before…how would you pronounce it?