What impression does Simon give?

Hey, everyone!

[name_m]Simon[/name_m] has been my top name for a boy for a long time. However, I realize that the impression the name gives me may not be the same for everyone else.

So, what impression/vibe does [name_m]Simon[/name_m] give you? How would you picture a person with this name? What assumptions would you make about him/his parents regarding values, religion, or nationality? Does any imagery come to mind?

I would appreciate your thoughts on any or all of these questions. Thank you!

4 Likes

I get somehow get two impressions of [name_m]Simon[/name_m] simultaneously.

On one hand, I find it slightly stuffy, a bit buttoned up and dowdy.

On the other, I also get a more relaxed vibe - someone self confident and friendly.

I guess this means it’s versatile?

5 Likes

I like the name [name_m]Simon[/name_m]. It’s very British/Australian, and underused in the US. Two good characters from children’s books are named [name_m]Simon[/name_m], from Over [name_u]Sea[/name_u], Under [name_m]Stone[/name_m] and Greenwitch by [name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_u]Cooper[/name_u], and The Nargun and the Stars by [name_f]Patricia[/name_f] Wrightson.

4 Likes

I wish I liked [name_m]Simon[/name_m] but it gives me know-it-all vibes, maybe because of [name_m]Simon[/name_m] Says?

3 Likes

“Simon Says” is my first association. So… a rule follower. Also strikes me as very British?

2 Likes

Nothing really comes to mind. The name is way too common for most people to have an association with it.

1 Like

To me [name_m]Simon[/name_m] is a middle aged man, I know many Simons all between 40 and 65.

To me it conjures up several images:

• guys in their 20s and 30s trying to be cool in the 70s/80s and 90s - a kind of similar vibe to [name_m]Kevin[/name_m] or Andrew…might go by [name_u]Si[/name_u] - living in the fast lane doing the club scene

• the consistent steady office worker - not really loving his job, stuck in a mundane, monotonous cycle of habit.

• the fun family guy throwing the best parties - hospitable, dad joke and dancer kind of guy

I’m not sure I would assume but all the Simons I’ve met have all been white British and either culturally ‘Christian’ or not really religious

To me [name_m]Simeon[/name_m] or Simeoni is much more fresh - especially with the n. [name_f]Simi[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_m]Simon[/name_m]: small and slight, brown hair and eyes, shy, sensitive, bookish, interested in history and literature, happiest at home or in the library, enjoys chess, dresses year-round in knitwear in various shades of oatmeal and moss.

Funnily enough, none of the Simons I’ve met are anything like this but I still get this sweet, calm, intelligent vibe from the name.

3 Likes

It’s not my style but I think it’s a perfectly acceptable name.

[name_m]Simon[/name_m] Cowell does come to mind - not a good association for me. On the other hand, I loved the character [name_m]Simon[/name_m] in [name_u]Firefly[/name_u]! From history class, I recall [name_m]Simon[/name_m] [name_m]Bolivar[/name_m], the liberator of several [name_u]South[/name_u] American nations from Spanish rule. So it’s a mixed bag in terms of associations (which, I suppose, is what you would expect, since it’s a relatively common name and appears in the Bible).

1 Like

[name_m]Simon[/name_m] immediately makes me think of [name_m]Simon[/name_m] from The Walking Dead, which is… not a great association :sweat_smile: however, I don’t think most people would ever have that association!

also, the name [name_m]Simon[/name_m] itself does not feel like it has the qualities of that character. I always felt like his name didn’t suit him. When I think of the name [name_m]Simon[/name_m], I always imagine a very sweet, sensitive, quiet little boy. Someone very smart, who loves to read and get lost in the adventures of his books. He’s kind hearted and very loving and caring.
I’m pretty sure it may be slightly influenced by [name_m]Simon[/name_m] from [name_m]Alvin[/name_m] and the Chipmunks :joy: but I feel like the imagery has expanded to even sweeter and cuddlier.

If it helps, I’ll try and come back later with a little moodboard to describe it a little better!! :smiling_face:

I wouldn’t assume anything about religion/nationality/etc, though. Regarding his parents/values/etc, I’d assume a little [name_m]Simon[/name_m] had kind, open minded, compassionate parents (as they’d have to be to raise the [name_m]Simon[/name_m] I imagine)!

2 Likes

It’s funny actually because even though stastically Simon is most common for men who are like, 40-50 years old where I live, that’s not really the association I have with it! Simon to me as a name is gentle, studious, quiet, sweet. I find it hard to picture a baby Simon but can 100% see it on a child, teenager or adult. I wouldn’t make any assumptions about ethnicity or religion but I do agree it feels quite British. Similar vibes as Rupert, Peter, Joseph and Thomas maybe?

Definitely underrated and deserving of more love in my opinion! I wouldn’t associate with Alvin and the Chipmunks unless it was paired with Theodore or something (I think Simon and Theodore go great and have similar vibes too, it’s a shame they aren’t useable together!).

3 Likes

I named my son [name_m]Simon[/name_m] and it really hit my husband and I out of the blue when we thought of it. It suits him very well— he’s a sweet and loving, but slightly mischievous little boy now. He’s curious and adventurous and very happy.

When we had it on our list we loved the vibe of it and how it fit in with the sibling set we had going. [name_m]Classic[/name_m] but underused and slightly European. Maybe a teensy bit pretentious and hipstery, but still fun and easy.

3 Likes

Simon is very, very British to me - I know of a lot of British ones! That said, I wouldn’t be surprised to hear it on a non-British guy, since it’s such a classic.

It does have a bit of a bookish, studious image, but mostly I think of it as casual and laid-back.

3 Likes

Studious, serious, a bit stuffy, very British

1 Like

I picture a [name_m]Simon[/name_m] as a snooty British man.

1 Like

I had a cat named [name_m]Simon[/name_m] for 15 years so that’s my first association! But the cat was named after the character in the [name_u]Joan[/name_u] [name_m]Aiken[/name_m] “wolves” series, so I also think of that. And [name_f]Susan[/name_f] Cooper’s [name_m]Simon[/name_m] in Over [name_u]Sea[/name_u], Under [name_m]Stone[/name_m] as a pp said.

[name_m]Simon[/name_m] feels very boarding school to me. Personally, I love the feeling of the name but I don’t actually love the sound for a child if that makes sense. I think it’s because I can’t stand “Si.”

I would assume Simon’s parents were bookish, upper middle class, probably [name_u]Christian[/name_u] or Jewish.

I know one [name_m]Simon[/name_m] and he is a quiet, sensible, British dad! He’s the sort of kind, easy-going man who’s rare yell means business. I think of him!

[name_m]Simon[/name_m] feels like a very warm name. Very stuffy and bookish, very vintage and charming. I love this name. It reminds me of some of my other favorites like [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m], [name_u]Arthur[/name_u], [name_m]Otis[/name_m], and [name_m]Peter[/name_m]. I think it’s a very serious little name, but yet is so darn endearing.

2 Likes

British & intelligent

Thanks, y’all! It’s a little bit of a bummer that the name seems so resoundingly British (as I am decidedly not British), but I appreciate the thoughtful responses! :joy:

Someone who is bookish/sophisticated. Not someone who plays sports.

1 Like