What is the correct pronunciation for Lien in Chinese?

What is the correct prn of Lien?

Does [name_f]Mei[/name_f]-Lien make sense? Beautiful lotus?

Is Lien more Vietnamese than Chinese as a name?

[name_f]Do[/name_f] u prefer with or without the hyphen?

Would be a possible mn. Thank u!

Not Chinese (or [name_f]Asian[/name_f]) but I do know a woman from around there who pronounces it lee-en
I dont like hyphenated names, but I do like [name_f]Mei[/name_f]-Lien’s sound
According to a few lists online, Lien was pretty popular in Vietnam a while back, but I cant find it on any of the recent lists. Still, it all depends on the origin of the name imo

I pronounce it lee-en (lee-ann? I suck at writing down pronunciation, but I hope you get it). I learned Chinese when I was a kid. Can’t really speak it now, but usually I pronounce most things right.

Definitely, definitely do not use the hyphen. I don’t think I’ve ever come across any Chinese names with it.

It’s [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-en, but condensed (dipthong between one syllable and two). If it’s the lotus/lily meaning then technically it’s falling in tone (starts high ends low). It’s the 2nd character in my Chinese name! :slight_smile:

[name_m]Don[/name_m]'t use the hyphen. Hyphenated Anglicized names are outdated ([name_u]Wade[/name_u] [name_m]Giles[/name_m]), reminiscent of the era of [name_f]Sun[/name_f] Yat-[name_f]Sen[/name_f]. Modern names simply don’t use this style at all and it looks funny and out of context (**in certain families of Cantonese origin, this is still sometimes done… But without specific reason to, I would not…). A space CAN be used without looking weird, but it leads many English speakers to think of the names/characters as divisible, when they’re not. So [name_f]Mei[/name_f] Lien is ok and normal-looking, but it might lead to confusion. The modern style (pinyin) would be Meilien, with no space and no 2nd capitalization. It doesn’t look as pretty, but it’s automatically in context.

Thank u so much u guys are so helpful!!! DH’s side of the family all have a Chinese second mn but all of the female’s start with [name_m]Ah[/name_m] so thats the only examples i have to go off of. He is 1/4 Cantonese. I have very little Chinese too, neither of us speak it but I really want a Chinese second mn like dh’s name pattern but its kind of hard when i have very little knowledge of the language etc! Cant thank u enough u guys are beyond helpful!!!