what is your impression of Edward?

[name]Hi[/name] berries,

I’m curious to know everyone’s impression of the name [name]Edward[/name]. We are most likely going to name one of our twin boys [name]Edward[/name] (the other will be [name]Oliver[/name]), and while I had intended to call him by his middle ([name]Drew[/name] - nn from [name]Andrew[/name]), I must admit that just using the full name [name]Edward[/name] is starting to grow on me! I do love that it is a core classic name - I guess I’ve just associated it with older men. [name]Haven[/name]'t yet met a toddler [name]Edward[/name]…

My 11 year-old son absolutely adores the name and insists it will be considered “cool”, and he says his reasons for liking it have nothing to do w/ Twilight. His name is [name]James[/name] and he prefers classic names as well.

(We don’t particularly like any of the nn’s for [name]Edward[/name], although [name]Teddy[/name] could be cute for a little guy, but not so much as he ages. I tend not to like “y” endings for boys. I would prefer the full name to be used.)

WDYT?

It is a good strong classic name, and it will no doubt outlast it’s association with Twilight. Unfortunately right now that is the dominant point of reference for the name. Your 11-year-old may think his reasons for thinking it is cool are unrelated to Twilight, but I doubt the name would even be on his radar otherwise. If you don’t mind that association though, I think it is a fine choice. I imagine, though, you’ll have to vigilant to avoid nn’s - particularly [name]Eddie[/name] or [name]Ed[/name].

I think [name]Edward[/name] is a good strong name that goes wonderfully with [name]James[/name] and [name]Oliver[/name]! That said, there is not getting around the Twilight connection, This has an upside and a downside. The downside is that a great many people will assume you were influenced by Twilight in choosing your son’s name and the association will probably hang around him through his life. If you are not alright with that you should name your son something else. The upside is that, Thanks to [name]Edward[/name] [name]Cullen[/name], [name]Edward[/name] has shaken off it’s dust and become a contemporary sounding choice once more. Also, the vampire’s use of [name]Edward[/name] in full form has contributed (along with the general collective taste) to the probability that you will be able to maintain that your son go by [name]Edward[/name] (as opposed to a nn).

I love the name [name]Edward[/name]. The name has been around for centuries and is a fine, handsome name. I liked [name]Edward[/name] long before Twilight came along, so, I don’t have that association with the name at all. Go for it.

I love [name]Edward[/name], it’s a great, strong, classic name. As crazy as it sounds, before I read the part about using [name]Drew[/name] as a nn for his mn [name]Andrew[/name], I was thinking you could call [name]Edward[/name], [name]Drew[/name]! ([name]Edward[/name] reversed is Draw[de] which is close to [name]Drew[/name]!!) [name]James[/name], [name]Oliver[/name], and [name]Edward[/name] are adorable together. Congrats on the twins!

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I am actually totally fine with the Twilight association - I think it makes the name much more current sounding, and like one commenter noted, it increases the likelihood that our [name]Edward[/name] will remain an [name]Edward[/name] (vs. [name]Ed[/name] or [name]Eddie[/name]).

Thanks again!

I think [name]Edward[/name] is a strong name that will always suit a male. You could have him as [name]Ted[/name] or [name]Drew[/name] (as pp said) whilst he’s younger and the full [name]Edward[/name] will most certainly suit him as an adult.

I love this name, especially with [name]James[/name] and [name]Oliver[/name]!

Though I’ve never cared for the sound or look of it, it is of course a classic name that sadly, in my opinion, has been sullied by Twilight - at least for this current generation of babies. Maybe my opinion is strongly influenced by my twi-obsessed sister-in-law, but honestly the first thing I’d think meeting a baby [name]Edward[/name] is “ugh, Twilight.” Its aural appeal just doesn’t fit in amongst the current name trends, it seems like an outsider that hasn’t earned its popularity… which is usually caused by some pop culture craze. I think that’s why I’d first assume a baby [name]Edward[/name] was named for the franchise.

Sorry for the honesty :oops: