what movies have ruined names?

I don’t necessarily think Twilight has “ruined” a lot of names, but just made some hidden gems overly popular. I liked [name]Cullen[/name] a lot, but wouldn’t use it now. Same with [name]Bella[/name] and [name]Jasper[/name].

I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Milo[/name], but solely associate it with a dog now from [name]Milo[/name] & [name]Otis[/name] :frowning:

I don’t know that it ‘ruined’ a lot of the names, but I read the books and I definitely think of Twilight when I hear some of them especially ones like [name]Esme[/name] and [name]Bella[/name].

I still love the name [name]Alice[/name] (probably because she was one of the better characters), also it hasn’t hurt my appreciation for [name]Edward[/name] or [name]Rosalie[/name] or [name]Jasper[/name].

[name]Jacob[/name] was already popular and has just become more so.

I could not agree more.

I would never even think of Twilight or [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] if I heard any of these names, and I honestly don’t think most of my friends/family would, either. (Okay, admittedly I have only read part of the first book of HP, and zero of Twilight, and I haven’t seen any of the movies.) But [name]Edward[/name], [name]Bella[/name], [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Hermione[/name], etc etc…they were known long before the books/movies. It’s hardly like calling your child [name]Heathcliff[/name] or something.

I can see not using a name because a movie has made it too popular, but that’s a different thing.

I agree with this, I just would hate people making remarks like “oh [name]Bella[/name] like in Twilight…” it would just bug me so it’s better just to avoid the name.

but like i said, if someone did that with the name [name]Luna[/name], “oh [name]Luna[/name], like in [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]” i would happily say yes.

I agree with everyone who has said that [name]Fiona[/name] has been ruined by Shrek. However, I recently saw Brigadoon, and that movie made me like the name. So, not all is lost.

I agree with @rollo and @jeska

All the names in Twilight (with perhaps the exception of [name]Emmett[/name] and [name]Carlisle[/name]?) are old. As in have been around for hundreds of years. If anything [name]Alice[/name] makes me think [name]Alice[/name] in Wonderland, [name]Edward[/name] is synonymous with the British Monarchy, and [name]Jasper[/name] is also a historical figure ([name]Jasper[/name] [name]Tudor[/name] circa the 16th century). Twilight is flash in the pan pop culture. I would never use [name]Isabella[/name], but that’s simply because I find it too fussy and prefer [name]Isobel[/name].

Regarding the names in [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]: I’m not sure about how popular [name]Harry[/name] has been in the US historically speaking but it’s always been around in the UK, traditionally as nickname for [name]Henry[/name] ([name]Prince[/name] [name]Harry[/name]'s real name), [name]Hermione[/name] is mythological originally and also Shakespearian later. [name]Minerva[/name] was originally a [name]Roman[/name] [name]Goddess[/name].

All of these names have been borrowed by the authors from other, arguably greater sources. I’d use a fair few of them without batting an eyelid.

[name]Pet[/name] Cemetery- [name]Gage[/name]

I absolutely agree with Hayley88.
jshores, [name]Milo[/name] was the little orange kitty. [name]Otis[/name] was the stupid pug. (I had a red Bengal cat I’d named [name]Charlie[/name] and my son renamed him [name]Milo[/name] after the movie came out. My son was just about two and any time I said “[name]Charlie[/name]”, my son would say, “Not Chawwie, Mummy, Miwwo.” So the cat became [name]Milo[/name], hence my online name. My son’s 21 now and hates being reminded of his, lol.)

I think the name “[name]Delilah[/name]” because of the [name]Tom[/name] [name]Jones[/name] song might be the only name I’d worry about.

[name]Juno[/name]… but really, the film doesn’t put me off that much.

I’m sort of worried about how popular [name]Primrose[/name] will become after The Hunger Games.

I second this^

[name]Isabella[/name] or [name]Bella[/name] was ruined by twilight same with [name]Edward[/name]
also someone else said [name]Fiona[/name] (Shrek)
i also think [name]Ariel[/name] ([name]Little[/name] Mermaid) and [name]Petunia[/name] ([name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]) though i never really like [name]Petunia[/name] anywaysso meh

I agree with the whole [name]Milo[/name] & [name]Otis[/name] this…also, [name]Milo[/name] is a drink here ( a very delicious one).

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Ursula[/name], but for so many other people, The [name]Little[/name] Mermaid has ruined it. Such a shame.

Saying [name]Isabella[/name] and [name]Edward[/name] have been ruined by Twilight seems ridiculous to me as these are such popular names and have been for a long time, especially [name]Isabelle[/name] which is always high in UK charts. Likewise [name]Alice[/name], it’s a classic name so i don’t immediately associate it with Twilight.

I’m in [name]Scotland[/name] so [name]Fiona[/name] is a really common name so again would not think Shrek.

The name that was ruined by a movie for me was [name]Akasha[/name]. I loved this name since my teens and was going to use it for my first daughter as i thought it was different but not weird. It’s fifth element in Hinduism & paganism, buddism it’s infinite space, ether. She’s also the queen of the vampires in [name]Anne[/name] Rices books which i loved.

However the [name]Queen[/name] of the Damned film [name]IMO[/name] was awful and i was worried there would be lots of goth babies running about after the movie so i gave it to my cat, i’m sure there aren’t lots of children with the name but i couldn’t disassociate from my huge disappointment with the film :frowning:

I love the name [name]Fiona[/name], and although I sort of grew up with Shrek I don’t actually think of the ogre but an inspirational English teacher in college who was awesome. But…[name]Even[/name] though [name]Princess[/name] [name]Fiona[/name] is an ogre she is also pretty bad-ass with her fighting skills which makes her darn cool.

As for Twilight, I don’t think it is the series that has ruined it for me but how popular they are at the moment. I still like [name]Bella[/name] though, probably because eight years ago I met the sweetest little girl called this when I did some baby sitting.