what movies have ruined names?

i was looking on another site, and in a poll someone posted on the names [name]Isabella[/name] and noted it wasn’t from Twilight. so this made me think what movies have ruined or encouraged a name for you.

I have seen many people suggest [name]Fiona[/name] as a girls name on naming boards. It is not my style to begin with, but it just screams Shrek to me, so even if I liked it before, it would be out now.

[name]Silence[/name] of the Lambs- [name]Clarice[/name], [name]Hannibal[/name]
Twilight- [name]Emmett[/name], [name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Shiloh[/name]- [name]Shiloh[/name]: my mom thinks it’s a dog name
[name]Marley[/name] & Me- [name]Marley[/name]: same as [name]Shiloh[/name]
Children of the Corn- Malachai, [name]Isaac[/name]
The Omen- [name]Damien[/name]

[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name]
[name]Clarice[/name]
[name]Forrest[/name]

[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Bella[/name]

This.

Also [name]Bella[/name] has been ruined to me from Twilight.
Ditto with [name]Edward[/name], though I was never really a fan to begin with.

[name]Ursula[/name] is a huge no no to me due to The [name]Little[/name] Mermaid.

I would use [name]Hermione[/name] in a heartbeat but too much [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] association, same with [name]Harry[/name], [name]Luna[/name], [name]Ginevra/name-I could go on forever. Plus now apparently the name [name]Hermione[/name] is associated with being a know-it-all :frowning:

I love the name [name]Luna[/name] and I don’t think [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] ruined it for me. I still plan on using. However, [name]Hermione[/name] has a stronger association with the movie than does [name]Luna[/name]. Also [name]Luna[/name] is gaining in popularity.

I refuse to use [name]Isabella[/name]/[name]Isabelle[/name]/[name]Isabel[/name] because of Twilight, it was my fiance’s favorite till Twilight so that ruined it for him.

Not just movies, but other pieces of pop-culture:

The Muppets/[name]Sesame[/name] [name]Street[/name]: [name]Elmo[/name], [name]Kermit[/name], [name]Bert[/name], [name]Ernie[/name], etc. (I actually [name]LOVE[/name] the names [name]Elmo[/name] and [name]Kermit[/name], if they weren’t so tied to these characters.)
The Simpsons: [name]Homer[/name], [name]Marge[/name], [name]Bart[/name], etc.
All in the Family: [name]Edith[/name], [name]Archie[/name], [name]Maude[/name] (I love [name]Edith[/name] and [name]Maude[/name], but DH said all he can think of is [name]Edith[/name] Bunker and “then there’s [name]Maude[/name]”).

And other shows, books, films, etc. that have names that are especially tied to one character.

[name]Ariel[/name]- “The [name]Little[/name] Mermaid”
[name]Milo[/name] and [name]Otis[/name]- “[name]Milo[/name] and [name]Otis[/name]”, of course

Nothing against anyone who uses them anyway- I say good for you! I just can’t get past the movies.

The only movie that has truly ruined a viable name for me is The Omen. I can’t bring myself to use [name]Damien[/name]. Otherwise, I think it’s silly to let a movie ruin a perfectly good name.

There is a new trend out there and many people are saying things like “that name is a Twilight name” so we probably won’t use it.

I think that is a lot of nonsense, the names haven’t been ruined by being in a film they are classics that have been used for eons.

[name]Remember[/name] the world is larger than a film or two that was made in recent years.

rollo

You know I would never have wanted to use these names anyway so they weren’t ruined as they weren’t in the running to begin with.

rollo

I work with a lady who has an 11 year old son named [name]Cullen[/name]. Obviously, she named her son before the Twilight series came out, but she admits that it bothers her that the Twilight series made the name [name]Cullen[/name] popular/well-known.

I wouldn’t say that a particular movie or popular series has completely ruined a name for me, but it might make me think twice about using a name. For example, [name]Stewart[/name]/[name]Stuart[/name]. I’ve always liked then name [name]Stuart[/name] ([name]Stuart[/name] [name]Little[/name] was one of my favorite books), but my husband really enjoys the Family [name]Guy[/name] TV show. Knowing that Stewie [name]Griffin[/name] is a character who is constantly on a mission to kill his mother did kind of sour the name for me.

I think the problem with Twilight isn’t so much the movies it’s the fans of the movies, theyre obsessed fanatics who are using the names. I think people want to avoid doing so for the next couple of years so people don’t assume they named their kid [name]Emmett[/name] specifically because of Twilight. Also, Twlight is a book series and 4 or 5 movies so it’s become a big deal.

This. [name]Ive[/name] loved the name [name]Hermione[/name] for years before HP and now its almost impossible to use.

[name]Rollo[/name], you are so right, but I still hesitate to use [name]Edward[/name] or [name]Jacob[/name], even though I love both of those names. I don’t consider them only “Twilight” names, but it would bother me if other people pointed that out and made fun of their names. For those reasons I wouldn’t use them as first names but I would consider [name]Edward[/name] as a middle name (it would honor my dad). I probably wouldn’t use [name]Jacob[/name] anyway because it’s very popular in my state. :frowning:

[name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] introduced the name [name]Hermione[/name] to me. I hadn’t heard of it before I read the first book (I didn’t know how to pronounce it until the fourth book, when they actually put up the pronunciation) but I love it now. I’m a huge reader and plan on somehow tying a literary reference into all of my children’s names, and I would love to use any name from [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] as a reference, because it is my favorite book series that I have ever read. I wouldn’t use [name]Hermione[/name] as a fn only because I would be afraid that people wouldn’t know how to pronounce it (I’m in the US), but I would use it as a mn in a heartbeat. She is a great character and I would love to name a child after her!

There is a new trend out there and many people are saying things like “that name is a Twilight name” so we probably won’t use it.

I think that is a lot of nonsense, the names haven’t been ruined by being in a film they are classics that have been used for eons.

Remember the world is larger than a film or two that was made in recent years.

rollo

I agree and disagree.

I really hate Twilight, so of course I’m going to not want to use to the names in Twilight to avoid people thinking “oh, that’s from twilight” or assume that I loved the books…

However, I love [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name], so the [name]Luna[/name] association doesn’t bug me at all.

I completely agree with you! Twilight will never be anywhere near as good as [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]! I love [name]Luna[/name] too.

I don’t understand why the Twilight thing bothers people so much. It’s not that hard to say, “no, not a fan. I just like the name.”

Good point. It just bothers me because I can’t stand Twilight. I don’t understand how it has become so popular because the books are not very good at all, and the movies are even worse. But this is a site for naming, and I’ll try not to get into that anymore. You are right though, it would be easy just to say that too. It would just frustrate me to have people ask it all the time.