What names have we missed?

What about medley? If you have lyric, harmony, aria, etc.

2 Likes

Lira as an alternative to [name_f]Lyra[/name_f]
Sei- six
Tercero- third
Apostle- a different religious name similar to bishop, deacon, [name_m]Saint[/name_m], etc
Cardinal- a bird name
Curie- in honor of [name_u]Marie[/name_u] curie
Semana- week in Spanish
Serrano- food name
Blazer- a spin on blaze; also an article of clothing
Senator- an occupation name

4 Likes

Silène, male, [name_u]French[/name_u] form of Silenus
Míriel, female, Quenya meaning “jewel-child”
Khalof, gender-neutral title for Dothraki ruler
Sovereign and [name_u]Majesty[/name_u], to fit in with the legal kiwi trend
Olixander, alternate form of [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] influenced by [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and its kin
[name_m]Wells[/name_m] (for a girl)
[name_f]Naja[/name_f], female, Greenlandic meaning “younger of sisters”
[name_f]Nahia[/name_f], female, Basque meaning “desire”
Vaiana, female, derived from Tahitian meaning “sea cave”
Apsara, female, water/cloud nymph of Hindu mythology
Cerula, female, Latin for a small piece of wax used to make critical remarks
[name_u]Eldra[/name_u], female, Romani derived from Etheldreda ([name_f]Audrey[/name_f])
[name_m]Kip[/name_m] could also work as a girls’ nickname for, say, [name_f]Christabel[/name_f]

3 Likes

Maybe Carmody as a surname name

2 Likes

Dembe, Male, African name meaning [name_u]Peace[/name_u]

3 Likes

Socorro - it is also Portuguese and used in [name_u]Brazil[/name_u]!
[name_m]Aeneas[/name_m] - it is also pronounced uh NAY us / eh NEH us (if you know what i mean?), I’ve met people named [name_m]Aeneas[/name_m] and not once have i heard it pronounced ihkneeus

Thamos - admittedly not sure of origin, but I’ve seen it used in [name_m]Germany[/name_m] / [name_f]Austria[/name_f]. Male.

Acauã - the laughing falcon, “snake hawk”, the falcon who feeds on snakes. Name comes from the Tupi language (native Brazilian), from waka’wã a word meaning “great ravine bird”. Alternatively spelled Acauan [ak ow WAHN]. Male.

Ararê - friend of the parrots / birds. Of Tupi (native Brazilian) origin [a ra RAY]. Male.

Araruna - black maccaw. Of Tupi (native Brazilian) origin [a ra ROON uh]. Male.

Aruana - sentinel, the name of a tribe. Of Native Brazilian origin, also spelled Aruanã or Aruaná [a roo awn NUH]. Female.

Cauê - good, smart man. Of Tupi (native Brazilian) origin [cow WAY]. Male.

Caiua - one who dwells in the bushes, the name of a tribe. Of Tupi (native Brazilian) origin, also spelled Caiuá [kai you AH]. Male.

Iraê - honey taste. Of Tupi-Guarani (native Brazilian) origin [eer ah AY]. Male.

Ierê - movement of the waves. Of Tupi-Guarani (native Brazilian) origin [ee er RAY]. Unisex.

Moara - midwife, helps to birth. Of Tupi-Guarani (native Brazilian) origin [mo ar uh]. Female.

Most of these names also come with great folklore origin stories.

3 Likes

Luma (Latin) light

Primarily a girls’ name, it is a variation on [name_u]Lumen[/name_u], with the word root [name_m]Lum[/name_m]- meaning light.

4 Likes

Aela, F, Latin meaning messenger

2 Likes

It’s not a missing name, but I think the description & meaning of [name_m]Faolan[/name_m] is wrong. As far as I know it actually means “little wolf” in Irish Gaelic :slight_smile:

3 Likes

To follow up on my previous post.

I knew [name_u]Hong[/name_u] means red in Chinese but it actually means pink or rose in Vietnamese, spelt hồng. It looks like you already got it correct in the database though so no problems here. I see you also already got Lan meaning orchid in Vietnamese too so that’s good!

[name_f]Bao[/name_f] means treasure in Vietnamese and it’s a boy’s name. I see you have it in the database as a girl’s name in Chinese but it’s most commonly seen on boys in Vietnam.

Not sure if it was overlooked but I still don’t see Minh which is a boys name meaning intelligent.

Additional names:
Nguyệt = full moon. Girl’s name
Khải = [name_f]Victory[/name_f]. Boy’s name. Pronounced like [name_u]Kai[/name_u]
[name_m]Man[/name_m] (not sure on accent marks) = Intelligent. Pronounced like Muhn. Boy’s name
Thu = [name_f]Autumn[/name_f]. Pronounced like “too”. Girl’s name
Thủy = large body of water; ocean. Pronounced like “twee”. Girl’s name

^When I say boy and girls name, that’s just for the people I’ve seen the name on but it’s also possible some of these could be unisex. Like I previously said [name_u]Anh[/name_u] is a girl’s name but it’s actually unisex

2 Likes

Mailey (g) - Variant of Malie, meaning calm in Hawaiian
Addiena (g) - Welsh name meaning beautiful
Carrow (b) - Place name

2 Likes

I thought [name_f]Ganesha[/name_f] was a male god not goddess

3 Likes

Hey! I would like to suggest the girls name Pretoria and it’s variants Praetoria and Pretoriya. I love this name, although Pretoria is also a place in [name_u]South[/name_u] [name_f]Africa[/name_f], the girls name comes from Germanic origins but mostly the Latin word ‘praetor’ which meant Leader in Imperial [name_u]Rome[/name_u] to describe officials who lead processions and the Praetorian Guard who provided security for the Senate and the [name_u]Royal[/name_u] Family.

So, the lovely name Pretoria means leader! [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps.

2 Likes

Yanic and Daneliya,

2 Likes

Costantina - no, not [name_f]Constantina[/name_f], although it is a variant! It’s the female form of the name Costantino (an Italian name) which is derived from [name_u]Constantine[/name_u]. It was middle name of a girl who was in several of my college classes. I really love how the first syllable is pronounced as “Coast”; it makes me think of the beach.

4 Likes

Xeta as well

2 Likes

Luzijanus found amongst [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] stem languages Nederlands, Vlaams, Afrikaans.

Combination of [name_f]Luzi[/name_f] derived from ([name_f]Luci[/name_f], [name_m]Lucio[/name_m], [name_m]Lucius[/name_m]) meaning “[name_u]Light[/name_u]”.
Joint together with [name_m]Janus[/name_m] meaning “God of Beginnings”.

Luzijanus - “[name_u]Light[/name_u] from God of Beginnings”

3 Likes

My son’s name is Icem. (A variation of [name_m]Isom[/name_m]). He was named after his great-grandfather. [name_f]My[/name_f] dad and brother also have Icem as a middle name. Unfortunately we don’t have the meaning, or why they chose this name. It is pronounced “Ice”-“m” [name_m]Just[/name_m] like [name_m]Isom[/name_m]. We call him Ice and Iceman. I hope to get this added as we LOVE it and get so many compliments.

4 Likes

Amro, Idalize

2 Likes

I was doing family research and came across two names not on here Exzelina ([name_u]French[/name_u] name) and Mayrose.

3 Likes