What names have we missed?

Could [name_m]Airlie[/name_m] be added for a girl? I’ve only seen it as a girl name but it’s listed as a boy name in the database.

3 Likes

Nóinín is Irish for daisy, and it’s used as a name

5 Likes

Malai (ma-LIE)

A Thai name meaning “garland of flowers”

6 Likes

Inika (f)

Origin: Hindu

Meaning: Little earth, Dimunitive for the earth

Sources: 1, 2, 3

6 Likes

Swara - Sanskrit name for a girl meaning musical tone, pronounced Sw-are-uh

5 Likes

can we see cassiope (kass-ee-OH-pee) ? it’s the greek form of cassiopeia (as in, the form actually used in greece!)

10 Likes

I would like to see the name Forty in the database. It’s the name of a character in the Netflix series “You”, and a great tennis reference for a sports loving family! :tennis:

3 Likes

[name_f]Welcome[/name_f] as a masculine name as well as a feminine name! It is only listed as a feminine name, however every single example given of famous people with the name are male.

14 Likes

Marietjie is an Afrikaans diminutive of [name_u]Maria[/name_u]. Pronounced mah-ree-kee

3 Likes

Elaria - Italian origin and means "Either ‘wealth’ (Italian) or ‘the serene’ (Latin). Variation of [name_u]Hilary[/name_u] “happy”.

6 Likes

Apollon is the Greek form of [name_m]Apollo[/name_m]

3 Likes

It looks like the name Endeavor has been removed from the database? It was a linked name in an old forum thread last year and now the link is broken?

https://nameberry.com/babyname/Endeavor

ETA: I see Endeavour is active though!

5 Likes

Merlijn: it’s the [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] form of [name_m]Merlin[/name_m].

It’s more often used for boys but sometimes it’s used for girls as well, because most [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] names ending in -lijn are feminine.

5 Likes

I now noticed most of those [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] feminine -lijn names I mentioned in my last post (see above) aren’t in the database either. All of these are (or were) frequently used in the Netherlands.

Jolijn: just [name_u]Jo[/name_u] + -lijn

Carlijn/Karlijn: [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] forms of [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], so ultimately from [name_m]Charles[/name_m]

Marjolijn/Marjolein: Marjolein is the [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] name of the plant [name_f]Marjoram[/name_f]. As a given name, the Marjolijn spelling is also used, which is pronounced the same as Marjolein. These names are quite dated now. They fall into the ‘mom name’ category.

Marlijn: from [name_u]Maria[/name_u]

3 Likes

Name: Cona
Meaning: Raise the dust, fast, rapid
Origin: Derives from the Ancient Greek name “Kónon (Κόνων)”
Usage: Italian

One of my daughter’s names is Lunaria! It’s a beautiful nature name, and I would love to see it added to the database.

Here is the blurb I wrote about her name.

The name Lunaria comes from genus of flowering plants in the fern family, known by their common name, “honesty.” The plant’s seed pods bear a strong resemblance to silver coins, earning it the nickname “money plant.” These same silvery seed pods are also responsible for the name’s “moon-like” meaning. Lunaria is also known as moonwort and believed to have magical properties. In folklore, witches were repelled by iron, but moonwort nullified the effects of iron amulets and protective barriers, allowing witches to walk by night wherever they pleased. If you take the individual meaning of each of the parts, “luna” and “aria,” you get “moon song / song of the moon.”

And here is a link to the Wikipedia page about the flower. It’s also listed as a name in this book, which is my go-to for gorgeous pagan names!

9 Likes

Noticed the other day that Hastings was missing.

Please add Madlaina. It is a Rhaeto-Romanic variation of [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] meaning “of Magdala” or tower and is a popular choice for girls in Switzerland.

A striking name that I feel is even more unique than another favorite of mine, [name_f]Madalena[/name_f], and gives a breath of fresh air to the overused [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] -esque names

7 Likes

A couple of things:

1. Courage as a unisex name (if [name_u]Bravery[/name_u] and [name_u]Valor[/name_u] and [name_u]Zeal[/name_u] are on here, why not Courage?)
  2. [name_m]Brynmor[/name_m] as a unisex name (currently only listed for boys and it seems perfectly unisex to me)
4 Likes

Still on team [name_m]Albie[/name_m] as a unisex name entry

5 Likes