What origin would you think the name Mina is upon hearing it?

I would think it was a variant of [name_f]Minna[/name_f], and therefore [name_m]German[/name_m]

I knew a cat called [name_f]Mina[/name_f] and it also makes me think of the character in Draculaā€¦ Not sure it really makes me think of a specific country though but it definitely sounds Eastern European Iā€™d say

Thanks, everyone!

I donā€™t actually know the origin but my first thought was Russian.

Maybe Arabic or British?

Polish. Itā€™s my sisterā€™s name and itā€™s been in the family for a long time.
Iā€™ve also heard [name_f]Mina[/name_f] on a Ukrainian girl and Romanian lady. But I can see it coming from [name_u]Germany[/name_u] or Russia.

[name_f]My[/name_f] grandmotherā€™s name was [name_f]Mina[/name_f], not short for anything and she was a Polish Jew.

[name_f]My[/name_f] first thoughts are Hindi/Indian (via the similar Mira/Meera), Hawaiian, or maybe Brazilian (reminds me in a way of Maiara).

[name_m]German[/name_m] via [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] does make a lot of sense, though; didnā€™t consider that until I saw @Luminenā€™s post.

1 Like

I would assume German.

there is quite a few different origins of it but my primary origin for it is a japanese name. the japanese name mina means south.

Russian

Hmm Iā€™d say Serbian just because I know quite a few people named [name_f]Mina[/name_f] (just like me!) who are Serbian :))) I know itā€™s a name in many different languages as well as being a Serbian name :))

Eastern European or [name_u]South[/name_u] Eastern European

pretty general, if I had to be specific maybe Bulgaria or Romania

Maybe Scandinavian?