What should Freddie's full name be?

We had a baby boy who we are calling [name]Freddie[/name], but we can’t decide what name to put on his birth certificate. His middle name will be [name]Thomas[/name] (after his grandfather) and his surname is Woodward. Should he be:

[name]Freddie[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] Woodward
[name]Frederick[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] Woodward
[name]Alfred[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] Woodward

I love [name]Freddie[/name], but think that it might be limiting for him in adulthood to have that as his actual name.

I am warming to [name]Frederick[/name] but my first impression of that name wasn’t good, and I’m wondering if others share my view? It’s hard to give your child a name that you don’t absolutely love.

I like [name]Alfred[/name] but is [name]Freddie[/name] a good and real nickname for [name]Alfred[/name]? We don’t want to use [name]Alfie[/name] because we have a daughter called [name]Elsie[/name] and [name]Elsie[/name] and [name]Alfie[/name] is a bit silly together. And anyway, we’ve chosen [name]Freddie[/name] and it’s stuck.

It’s a tricky one … any ideas gratefully received!

[name]Hi[/name]!

I would definitely choose either [name]Frederick[/name] or [name]Alfred[/name], personally. [name]Freddie[/name] seems a bit incomplete…

I love [name]Frederick[/name], but I see where it comes off as harsh or like too much of a name at first. However, it has strength to it, which I like, and it is very handsome. In addition to [name]Freddie[/name], it has many nicknames, or [name]Frederick[/name] alone is so wonderful. Personally, my reason for choosing it is because [name]Frederick[/name] Woodward sounds better than [name]Alfred[/name] Woodward to me, and [name]Frederick[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] Woodward has better flow (3-2-2) than [name]Alfred[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] Woodward (2-2-2). [name]Alfred[/name] is nice, but the [name]Alfie[/name] nickname is more “normal” - certainly [name]Freddie[/name] works, too! [name]Alfred[/name] sounds a bit too old for me, and I don’t see someone wanting to go by [name]Alfred[/name] as a young man. So, I’d go with [name]Frederick[/name], hands down!

Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I agree with [name]Lemon[/name]. [name]Frederick[/name] is one of the most classic names out there. It will grow up with him and [name]Freddie[/name] is the most obvious nickname. If he outgrows it, [name]Frederick[/name] is a lovely name to fall back on. [name]Alfred[/name] is a great name, but I think [name]Frederick[/name] is a much better fit in this case. Good luck and congratulations!

I love both [name]Frederick[/name] and [name]Alfred[/name] so much! To me, [name]Frederick[/name] feels more serious and [name]Alfred[/name] feels a bit more playful. [name]How[/name] does each name sound with your last name?

Oh, I see that your last name is Woodward. I like [name]Frederick[/name] Woodward more than [name]Alfred[/name] Woodward.

[name]Freddie[/name] is such a great name, love it! Congratulations!

Oh my, [name]Freddie[/name] is my absolute favorite favorite favorite nickname for a boy! I have loved it for a [name]LONG[/name] time! You don’t come across many Freddies, so I’m so excited to see your post!

I used to really not like [name]Frederick[/name] or [name]Alfred[/name] at all. But I liked [name]Alfie[/name], too, so I almost named my son [name]Alfred[/name]. Let me tell you, EVERYONE I know hated it! I mean, they really, really hated it. It got the worst reception of any other name I told them. I just thought I’d mention that to you in case you’re worried what other people might think.

[name]Frederick[/name] took me a very long time to warm up to, considering how much I love [name]Freddie[/name]. I don’t know how or why, but I love [name]Frederick[/name] now. It’s got a totally different sound from any other name, it’s classic, distinguished. I can picture a man of any age or walk of life named [name]Frederick[/name]. (I recently got my husband to promise we can name our next son [name]Frederick[/name] as long as we call him [name]Red[/name] instead of [name]Fred[/name] - agreed! I’m ecstatic about it, though I will definitely still call him [name]Freddy[/name]!)

I also thought I’d mention that I didn’t love my son’s full name at first, I loved his nn but not the whole name. But my husband loved it so much that I compromised, and now I couldn’t be happier, I love his name so much. That’s just my experience, though, so if you think you’ll have remorse if you use [name]Alfred[/name] or [name]Frederick[/name], by all means, don’t!

What about just naming him [name]Fred[/name]? I would rather my full name be [name]Fred[/name] than [name]Freddie[/name], personally. I’m actually not sure this ever occurred to me before, but I think [name]Fred[/name] is perfectly capable of being a stand-alone name.

what about

[name]Fernando[/name]
[name]Alfredo[/name]
[name]Federico[/name]
[name]Franko[/name] ([name]Franco[/name])

I [name]ADORE[/name] [name]Frederick[/name]! That coupled with the fact that, as other posters have mentioned, it sounds awesome with your last name and the middle name you have selected make this a no-brainer for me. [name]Alfred[/name] would be okay, but it’s not nearly as handsome or distinguished as [name]Frederick[/name], it comes with the unfortunate risk of nn [name]Alfie[/name], and it doesn’t sound as wonderful with your last name. I have to add that I also strongly recommend that you do NOT make his full formal name [name]Freddie[/name]. As adorable as it is now, think about your son mailing out his resume or running for political office, etc. The older he gets, the more ridiculous it becomes.
If even after all the positive encouragement, you still can’t fall in love with [name]Frederick[/name] (which is hard for me to understand in general, since it’s one of my favorite names, but particularly would be hard for me to see in this situation since your love for nn [name]Freddie[/name] should have you halfway there) then I would suggest you consider [name]Wilfred[/name]. I think the alliteration with your last name gives the full combo a fun and spunky feel and it comes with alternate nn option of [name]Will[/name] (far better, in my opinion, than [name]Alfie[/name] or [name]Al[/name]).

why does the name HAVE to have something with “fred” in it. a nickname is a nickname - it doesn’t have to make sense… just pick something you like!

i would probably pick a family name (your maiden name?) or something that has special meaning as the first name… then just keep calling him [name]Freddie[/name]!

(one thing i wouldn’t do is name him just “[name]Freddie[/name]” because i’m not sure it will look good on his resume when he’s older…)

btw, i think it’s an amazing choice… congrats!!

You might like to name him [name]Ferdinand[/name], [name]Friedrich[/name] or even [name]Felix[/name] I can see [name]Freddie[/name] as a nn for all.

I don’t mind [name]Alfred[/name] but I think [name]Frederick[/name] is a more popular choice.

I second the idea of [name]Friedrich[/name]. It has such a nice sound to it in my opinon and it reminds me of the solid, dependable love of [name]Jo[/name] [name]March[/name] in [name]Little[/name] Women. I’d prefer either that or [name]Frederick[/name] to [name]Alfred[/name]. [name]Freddie[/name] is a precious nickname for a little boy, and he might even decide to carry it into his adult life, but I’d advocate giving him a mature full name that he can turn to if he wants to. Congratulations on your little [name]Freddie[/name]!!

I second [name]Wilfred[/name]! So cute!

[name]Just[/name] thought of [name]Redford[/name]. Has all the letters of [name]Fred[/name] in it. [name]Love[/name] [name]Redford[/name], so cool! Oh, but I don’t think it sounds good with your last name.

Hmmm…you could name him [name]Edwin[/name]. It has the “ed” from [name]Freddy[/name]. But I really, really love [name]Frederick[/name] with your last name. I would name him [name]Frederick[/name] nn [name]Freddy[/name]. Adorable!

[name]Frederick[/name]! It is an amazing name, such a classic! It’s my partner’s name and I love it. It also goes well with you last name. I love the nn [name]Freddie[/name] too, it’s so adorable.

I also like [name]Alfred[/name] and [name]Wilfred[/name], but prefer [name]Alfie[/name] as a nickname for [name]Alfred[/name], and I don’t like [name]Wilfred[/name] with Woodward, [name]WAY[/name] too many Ws.

[name]Frederick[/name] definitely gets my vote :slight_smile:

[name]Alfred[/name] is a really cute way to get [name]Freddie[/name] but I like [name]Frederick[/name] better with your last name.
There is also -
[name]Manfred[/name]
[name]Siegfried[/name]

[name]Frederick[/name]!

I vote for [name]Frederick[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] Woodward!! It’s an awesome name!!

[name]Frederick[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] Woodward is gorgeous, strong and incredibly handsome.
[name]Wilfred[/name]'s cute too.

[name]Frederick[/name] for me. Could be [name]Francis[/name]?