What should we name our first child?

These names are amazing. I can see why you are having a tough time!
[name_f]My[/name_f] personal favourite is [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] ([name_u]Drew[/name_u]) [name_m]Robert[/name_m] Hicks. I feel it ages well, is underused nowadays and has good historical and literary associations

Benjamin is my second favourite. I have loved [name_m]Ben[/name_m] for as long as I can remember (probably because of the [name_f]Susan[/name_f] Sarandon and [name_f]Julia[/name_f] [name_m]Roberts[/name_m] movie Step mom ) . [name_f]My[/name_f] only hesitation is popularity.

William I would rank third. [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m] is a very handsome combination!

Charles is is fourth but solely for the ā€œflowā€ . I love [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] though

Either way you cannot go wrong !

2 Likes

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to give their thoughtful input! It really helps to hear other peopleā€™s reactions and impressions. Thank you so much!

I like [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] best.

1 Like

Definitely [name_m]Andrew[/name_m].

I had a similar problem as a PP about all the names having a similar feel, with [name_m]Charles[/name_m] being the least fitting with Hicks.

While I agreed with all their points, [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] felt like the runaway to me for a couple reasons:

• All forms of the name - [name_m]Andrew[/name_m], [name_u]Andy[/name_u], and [name_u]Drew[/name_u] - sound good with Hicks
  • Robert sounds equally good with all names, so itā€™s more important to consider the nameā€™s compatibility with Hicks rather than [name_m]Robert[/name_m], and again, [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] fits the best
  • Andrew is the least popular of the three and is a little older of a name. Itā€™s in a sweet spot the same way [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f]/Jen/Jenny was for 90s babies - past the peak, but still fun and relevant.
  • Andrew is still formal in the way [name_m]William[/name_m], [name_m]Charles[/name_m] and [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] are without the very informal nicknames of [name_u]Billy[/name_u], [name_m]Chuckie[/name_m], and [name_m]Benny[/name_m] potentially cropping up. [name_u]Andy[/name_u] and [name_u]Drew[/name_u] sound a little more professional than most of the nicknames for the others, with the exception of [name_m]Will[/name_m] and [name_m]Ben[/name_m].

Whatever you choose, all of your names are great, strong options for boys and will suit your son well! Best of luck!

2 Likes

All are nice names :slight_smile:

I would go with [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m], then [name_m]Charles[/name_m], then [name_m]William[/name_m], then, [name_m]Andrew[/name_m].

1 Like

I think [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] is my favourite. Itā€™s a really nice name but itā€™s not heard very often whereas i fell like the other 3 are quite common. Also it has different options for a nickname: [name_u]Andy[/name_u], [name_u]Drew[/name_u]

1 Like

Charles [name_m]Robert[/name_m] has such a nice ring to it, very strong! I could say the same about [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m].

1 Like

My favourite is [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m] Hicks

Congratulations!

1 Like

I married an [name_m]Andrew[/name_m], so Iā€™m admittedly biased. But that one really does stand out to me the most. As others have said, you donā€™t hear of little Andrews, Drews, or Andys nearly as often as the other three.

I also think [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] Hicks and [name_u]Drew[/name_u] Hicks have a combined better feel than the other full name/nickname pairs.

2 Likes

I vote for [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m].

1 Like

All such handsome, classic names! Based mainly on the nicknames you gave, [name_m]Charles[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m] Hicks would be my choice. [name_m]Liam[/name_m] and [name_u]Drew[/name_u] are not my style and I think [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] has more character and charm than [name_m]Ben[/name_m]. Good luck with your decision :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love [name_m]Charles[/name_m] nn [name_u]Charlie[/name_u]!

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply! You have helped us a great deal and brought up some things we had not considered. Your help is much appreciated!