What sibset would you make for Cohen?

So [name]Cohen[/name] is trending up as a first name, no doubt thanks to [name]Aiden[/name], [name]Jaden[/name], [name]Caden[/name] and his ilk, and ordinarily I would find it pretty inappropriate to use, but it’s my maiden name, so I figure if anyone could use it, I could :slight_smile:
Then I was musing on what that sibset would be like. I was imagining other sort of Hebrew-but-not-out-right-biblical and very contemporary sounding names, such as:

[name]Asher[/name]
[name]Levi[/name]
[name]Zac[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name]

Can you think of more? What would you choose for girls? Would you use pair it with names that aren’t Hebrew in origin?

[name]Cohen[/name] is your maiden name? It must be so weird for you to see it become a popular first name! I don’t think that a lot of people who use the name realize that it’s a Jewish surname (the most common one) and a sacred Jewish name meaning priest. Like [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] wrote, [name]Cohen[/name] took off because of the TV show The O.C., and I’m guessing that a lot of parents who like it or used it never looked into its religious meaning. [name]Pam[/name] wrote a wonderful article on The [name]Daily[/name] Beast about [name]Cohen[/name]'s use a first name on non-Jewish babies, and I thought you may want to check it out.

Hebrew names:

[name]Abbott[/name] (nn [name]Abe[/name])
[name]Abram[/name]
[name]Abraham[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name] (oops…You listed this…) :slight_smile:
[name]Gideon[/name]
[name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Micah[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Raphael[/name]
[name]Samson[/name] (although I thin the names that don’t end in N work better with [name]Cohen[/name])

Girls:

[name]Adina[/name]
[name]Aviva[/name]
[name]Abigail[/name]
[name]Ariel[/name] (although I think of The [name]Little[/name] Mermaid) :slight_smile:
[name]Eliana[/name]
[name]Eva[/name]
[name]Leora[/name]
[name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Raphaela[/name]
[name]Shoshana[/name]
[name]Talia[/name]

I can also see surnames and unisex names with [name]Cohen[/name], but aside from [name]Abbott[/name], they give [name]Cohen[/name] an entirely different feel to me (trendy instead of Hebrew). I’d personally avoid names that are overtly [name]Christian[/name] or Catholic, because those look strage to me with a Jewish name. (I once saw [name]Cohen[/name] with [name]Patrick[/name], for example, and that seemed off to me.)

[name]Archer[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Davis[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Pierce[/name]
[name]Reed[/name]
[name]Wyatt[/name]
[name]Wilson[/name] (I think the names that don’t end in N sound better with [name]Cohen[/name])

Girls:

[name]Bellamy[/name]
[name]Blakeley[/name]
[name]Emery[/name]
[name]Ellery[/name]
[name]Hollis[/name]
[name]Hadley[/name]
[name]Harper[/name]
[name]Marlo[/name]

I think I’d personally stay away from [name]Levi[/name] with [name]Cohen[/name], because I think of the Kohanim and the Levites, so it seems like a bloodline theme to me.

Good luck, [name]Katherine[/name]! :slight_smile:

Hey [name]Jill[/name],
thanks for your suggestions!
It is indeed very strange to me to see [name]Cohen[/name] turned into a first name, if only because it seems to be used by people who don’t know of, or don’t care about, its significance. I wouldn’t call myself offended, but I do think it’s pretty odd.
Also, the Kohanim and Levites thing is a good call–I hadn’t noticed!
The more I was thinking about what would go with [name]Cohen[/name], the less I was thinking that Hebrew names were a good fit. After all, [name]Cohen[/name] isn’t really a Hebrew “name” like say [name]David[/name] or [name]Sarah[/name] are.

In style, my favorites are:
[name]Archer[/name],
[name]Bennett[/name],
[name]Wyatt[/name]–love
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Reed[/name]–love
[name]Harrison[/name] (although in my grade all through middle and highschool there was a [name]Harrison[/name] [name]Cohen[/name]–it is indeed a very common last name.)

for the girl suggestions I think [name]Harper[/name] and [name]Bellamy[/name] are great!
Thanks again for your input and thanks for pointing out the [name]Daily[/name] Beast article; it was really fascinating.

You’re welcome, [name]Katherine[/name]! I, too, think its popularity is confusing, especially because it seems to be popular with non-Jewish parents unaware of its meaning. I think that [name]Archer[/name], [name]Bennett[/name], [name]Wyatt[/name], [name]Miles[/name], [name]Reed[/name], or [name]Harrison[/name] would be great, and I’m glad you like [name]Harper[/name] and [name]Bellamy[/name], too. :slight_smile:

I really liked [name]Pam[/name]'s article, too! She really covered all of the angles!

Has your friend found a middle name for [name]Ivy[/name]? I think it’s such a great name! :slight_smile:

Have a good night! :slight_smile:

I wonder whether parents determined to name their sons “[name]Cohen[/name]” and unaware of the priestly connections of the name, might be persuaded to choose “Cohan” instead?

I’ll never forget one funny scene in particular (of many, many funny scenes) from director [name]John[/name] [name]Ford[/name]'s classic 1952 movie The Quiet [name]Man[/name].

In the scene, Michaleen Oge [name]Flynn[/name]'s horse, [name]Napoleon[/name], has (wisely) stopped short just outside an Irish pub. Our hero, [name]Sean[/name] [name]Thornton[/name] (who is riding with Michaleen in the horsecart) regards the name of the Irish owner on the pub sign. Michaleen explains the name to the American-raised [name]Thornton[/name]: “Over here, we pronounce it 'Co-HAN.”

:wink:

And, back on topic… For a brother for Cohan, I would choose [name]Michael[/name]. (Not [name]Napoleon[/name]!)

– [name]Nephele[/name]

[name]Hi[/name]. I just came across this posting and I wanted to “chime” in on the subject. First: My son, 10, is named [name]Anthony[/name] “[name]Cohen[/name]” Scionti. Second: [name]Anthony[/name] is for his father and [name]Cohen[/name] is after a childhood friend whose last name was “[name]Cohen[/name].” Third: I indeed did look into the name “[name]Cohen[/name]” once I was certain that that name would be our son’s given name…he goes by “[name]Cohen[/name].” I fully realized the importance of the name and in being Catholic LOVED the meaning of “priest/counselor.” [name]How[/name] fitting don’t you think? But I should also add…that when my husband and I were looking into the name “[name]Cohen[/name]” it was no where to be found on ANY parenting sites. We found the meaning by looking into the name as importance for a surname. I am so sorry it offends persons who feel that due to the fact I have a different faith or not of that nation to find beauty in the name. (tad bit of sarcasm there.) Finally: I chose [name]Marianna[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Hudson[/name] Scionti (though more “Catholic” for those who care) for my daughter, 6. [name]Marianna[/name] was for my mother, [name]Mary[/name]. I always adored the name [name]Anna[/name]. [name]Elise[/name] is short for [name]Elizabeth[/name] for my maternal grandmother/myself. While [name]Hudson[/name] is for my paternal grandmother, it was her Maiden name. So you see I choose my names for their significance to family NOT for popularity. After all we are the one’s who have to love our child’s name just as we do our children. Who care’s what others “small-minded” people think? I wish you the BEST with your pregnancy. Being a mother is a “blessed” thing in life.