What to do if Dad Loves a Name but Mom Loves Another??

See the results of this poll: Mine & His, Which do you like?

Respondents: 44 (This poll is closed)

• Ivy: 23 (52%)
  • Amelia (Mia): 21 (48%)

I would say def [name]Amelia[/name]!!

I vote [name]Amelia[/name]

My DH and I were both in love with different names for our daughter. We both loved our respective names and would not even consider the other’s name, even though we both kind of liked the other name. Our solution ended up being one that most people would not really like. We decided that the only way to compromise was to dicard both names and start over. We agreed that the names we discarded could not be brought back to the table and then went through lots and lots of names only keeping the ones that we could agree on. Then we narrowed it down to the choice that both of us could be happy with.

I know that tossing out the name you love probably doesn’t please you, but it is certainly one way to go about it. And, of the two choices above, I like [name]Ivy[/name] best.

My DH and I had a hard time agreeing on names, especially girls. I crossed names off the list if either one of us didn’t like them - so a lot of names that I liked that he didn’t (and vice versa) were crossed off. I think it’s important that both parents love the name. An alternative would be to use the two names as first and middle

I also think both mom and dad should love the name.

I’m sure you can find a name you both love…
Maybe one of these? I will try to suggest names that have something in common with either [name]Ivy[/name] or [name]Amelia[/name].

[name]Maeva[/name] (or [name]Maeve[/name])
Avelina
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Amelie[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Maya[/name]
[name]Adelina[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]

k_lareese:

Thanks so much for your story! I dont think we’d be willing to give both of them up, im sure one of us would rather give up our name than lose both of them… we’ll just have to wait and see who cracks! lol

gwensmom:

I think thats what we should do aswell, I love [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]… but [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Ivy[/name] sounds odd to me?

ricamaca:

Thanks for the suggestions! [name]Isla[/name] was actually on our list… but we said it so many times that we both wanted something new lol… (and I LOVED [name]Emmeline[/name] - but he didnt)

As long as both names are on each of your lists, then I think you’ll soon be able to come to a compromise! Good luck! Our problem is that each of the names we like are not on the others’ list; therefore, we’re left having to throw out both names… similar to other reader. And then start fresh with different names. Absolutely love both of these names by the way… both [name]Ivy[/name] and [name]Amelia[/name] are on my short list (but not my husbands). You’re so lucky!!!

[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Amelia[/name] is so pretty!
I know an [name]Ivy[/name] and she gets lots of compliments on her name!

[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Amelia[/name] is so pretty!
I know an [name]Ivy[/name] and she gets lots of compliments on her name!

my husband and I have a daughter and i’m pregnant with a boy. we are having a hard time to choose the name too. my husband like one name and i like another. the same happen with my daughter. he love [name]Mae[/name] and I love [name]Shiloh[/name] so we agree in [name]Shiloh[/name] [name]Winter[/name] [name]Mae[/name] :slight_smile: but it took time before one of us make a compromise :slight_smile: but in the end we choose a beautiful name that both love.

i think is important that both of the parents abosolutely love the name.

I really like [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Amelia[/name] :slight_smile:

good luck

I chose [name]Amelia[/name], but I also love [name]Ivy[/name].

Oh, [name]Isla[/name] is gorgeous! :slight_smile:
But as long as both of you really like both names I think a compromise would be okay.

[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Amelia[/name] is cute. I vote for that, and you’ll also have the plus that [name]Ivy[/name] isn’t as popular as [name]Amelia[/name]! :slight_smile:

Another vote for [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Amelia[/name] - both names are lovely, and the flow is great!

thanks so much everyone for your opinions!

I told my husband that even though [name]Amelia[/name] [name]MAY[/name] be a prettier name… it would quickly be shortened to [name]Mia[/name]… which kinda defeats the purpose… so the name we have chosen is [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]! :slight_smile: