What types of media content would you disapprove of your children seeing?

anything over their age range

Anything preaching hate and bigotry. We do not condone that in our home.

6 Likes

For me, this depends so much on their age and also the context.

Initially I thought Kibby’s response about nothing hateful… but, once they reach a certain age, perhaps watching things like that together with me or their Dad, and discussing what we’re seeing and how people could come to think that way or choose to make videos about it… could be a good educational tool.

So I guess like all things parenting, it’s about the end product. How do I want my child to be as an adult? How do I support them to be the best adult they can? What will hinder vs help?

Though also, THOMAS THE TANK ENGINE. I don’t want my children to think their worth is determined by how useful of an engine to society they are.

Anything that displays or enourages disrespectful behaviour towards other people, especially based on race, gender, religion, etc.

2 Likes

I agree with @Kibby I wouldn’t allow [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] to be exposed to any media content that expresses hate or bigotry towards any group of people. I also think I wouldn’t allow [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] to be exposed to media which portrays imagery surrounding ‘beauty ideals’ I feel the media really pushes images of Eurocentric beauty featuring predominantly ‘white’, ‘skinny’ and ‘blonde’ women as how you want to look/aspire to look like. I strongly believe these images are damaging especially for a young person who doesn’t fit the Eurocentric beauty standards due to not being white. So I think I would be very cautious about the beauty standards [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] is exposed too so she doesn’t feel insecure. Similarly I really want [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] to be exposed to imagery praising black and mixed heritage beauty. Essentially imagery that shows my daughter’s Afro hair, caramel colour skin and big brown eyes are amazing is what I want my girl to see! I also want her to be exposed to media content that celebrates different body types as well. But of course this is going in a different direction so I will stop rambling

3 Likes

basically nothing, I can’t say much because I’m years off from having kids, but I generally don’t believe in monitoring what kids watch or listen to, my parents generally didn’t so I was able to learn in my own way through what I watched, it made me a stronger person. so I would let them watch what they wanted and let them talk to me if something they saw made them confused or uncomfortable.

1 Like

Anything hateful or discriminatory, until they’re old enough to discuss what they’re seeing with us and to have a proper conversation about it.

I’m not a very protective parent when it comes to this, because I believe and know from experience that they - sadly - see and hear these things around them in real life. I hate it and I wish I could protect them from it, but I know I can’t. Society isn’t a safe space, and I’d rather make sure my children are able to deal with this than shield them from everything.

1 Like

I know this is very late.

Probably nothing that expresses racism or bigotry, at least until they understand what that means and can have mature conversations about it. I probably wouldn’t put anything totally off limits but I still want to guide my kids, and make sure they are growing through experiences. Granted I am still in school and therefore won’t be having any kids soon, but this is what I’d do.

2 Likes

Depends on their age. [name_f]My[/name_f] rules would become less and less strict as they get older and need/can handle more freedom in what they watch. For a very young, pre- school age child, I personally wouldn’t feel great about them watching anything that doesn’t actively benefit them in its content in some way. This could be through social-emotional themes, age-appropriate academic education, or cultural awareness, but if it doesn’t impress me with any of those, I’d rather use our time in a healthier way (I already know my daughter won’t be watching Cocomelon or Blippi :grimacing:) I prefer to watch a show/movie and evaluate it first if possible for them at that age.

For a young school age child, I could loosen the reigns a bit but still not allow anything with graphic or gratuitous violence/concerning attitudes about violence. I’d also monitor for other “adult themes” and decide how I feel about those on a case-by-case basis. I’d always prefer to discuss with them what we’re watching anyway, if possible.

As they get into pre-teen and teen years, they can have more choice about what they watch, with me offering more guidance than hard and fast rules.

Of course, at any age, I would try to steer them away from media that encourages bigotry of any kind, as others have mentioned, but I would hope that would more or less go without saying. I think there is a big difference, though, between something that portrays bigotry - which we can have age-appropriate discussions about - vs something that encourages or promotes it.

The other thing I would disapprove of is aggressive advertising as I personally think it’s inappropriate and immoral to target children with advertising. I’m glad to have more control over this than my parents did when I was a kid, but it’s still something I keep an eye out for.

(This whole topic is something my husband & I have been discussing in detail for the past few months as we prepare to welcome our first!)

2 Likes