What would you be named 100 years ago?

So, apparently this was an old thread (I saw this in a really old nameberry meme) but I can’t find it, and for anyone who, like me, wasn’t here in 2017, I wanted to bring this back up because it’s so cool. So, you go to the name statistics of your country and find what rank your first and middle name were the year that you were born. Then, find the statistics from 100 years prior, and find the names in both slots. If you’re in the US, here’s a link: https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/popularnames.cgi- just input your birth year in the space where it says ‘select year’.
Once you’ve found out your 100-years-ago name, you can do this with any other time period- such as, what would you be named the year your parents were born, or what would you have been named in 2018. Post your alternate reality name below!
(P.S. [name_f]My[/name_f] apologies if someone else can find the old thread, no need to use this one if that is the case)

2 Likes

Can’t find any information on my middle name because it wasn’t in the top 1000 when I was born, but for my first name 100 years ago I would have been [name_f]Edith[/name_f] (which I kind of like, but I don’t think fits me)

My 100 years ago name: [name_f]Millie[/name_f] [name_f]Laura[/name_f]
[name_f]My[/name_f] 2018 name: [name_u]Londyn[/name_u] [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]

This is a cool idea! If anyone can find a good source for UK stats please let me know cos I’m struggling :sob:
Edit: Found the top 100 but I’m not in it :broken_heart:

my 1906 name: [name_f]Janie[/name_f] _____

If someone can find the 3,690th most popular name in 1906 please tell me what it is cause I can’t…

so in 1906 [name_f]Janie[/name_f] was the 2006 [name_f]Elena[/name_f]

2018 name: [name_f]Sofia[/name_f] [name_f]Samantha[/name_f]
1920 name: [name_f]Irene[/name_f] [name_f]Geraldine[/name_f]

1920s name is [name_f]Rita[/name_f] [name_f]Jeanette[/name_f]
2018 name is [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] [name_f]Joanna[/name_f]

I love this. Having to use the US ones as cannot find the UK.

100 yrs before I was born I would have been called [name_f]Constance[/name_f] [name_f]Ada[/name_f]

If I was born in this decade my name would be [name_u]Reese[/name_u] [name_f]Mila[/name_f]

Not gonna lie, I love them both more than my actual name :joy:

100 years before: [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Eugenia[/name_f]
This decade: [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Amina[/name_f]

I don’t like either of these names or my own

1900: [name_f]Helen[/name_f] [name_f]Loretta[/name_f]-[name_f]Lenore[/name_f]
2018: [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Taylor[/name_u]-[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]

Not a fan :joy:

My first name was not in the top 1000 during the year I was born, but my middle name was:

Name 100 yrs before I was born: _____ [name_f]Mallie[/name_f]
Name in 1920: _____ [name_f]Marcelle[/name_f]
Name in 2018: _____ [name_f]Colette[/name_f]

[name_f]Mallie[/name_f] --> raspberry, beautiful honey --> never heard of it, but I like it
[name_f]Marcelle[/name_f] --> warlike --> not sure I like the meaning, but it has ties to a grandmother I love & one of my best friends
[name_f]Colette[/name_f] --> people of victory --> ironically it is a variation of my cousin’s mn, so I’m not sure I’d ever use it

100 years before I was born, my name would be [name_f]Helen[/name_f] [name_f]Rosanna[/name_f]. In 2018, my name would be [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Tiana[/name_f].

My 2018 name is [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f].

And my name 100 years ago is [name_f]Lillie[/name_f] [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f].

I’ve been doing it as 100 years before I was born.

1 Like

Do you know another way to get to the website? The link isn’t working for me… Thanks

1 Like

Thank you : ) I tried it but my name ([name_f]Emalee[/name_f]) hasn’t been in the top 1000 (or at least my spelling) :joy: So I guess it has a limit

Apparently my middle name is really rare. So I can’t find out what my middle name would have been 100 years ago. But [name_f]Janie[/name_f] (my first name 100 years ago) is pretty close to my middle name now.

weird, [name_f]Jeanine[/name_f] doesn’t strike me as that rare.

1 Like

My 2019 name is [name_f]Julia[/name_f] and my 1900 name is [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]. I’m actually really surprised that in ranking my name has barely moved in ranking between 1996 when I was born (74) than last year (70) considering I know quite a lot of little girls named [name_f]Iona[/name_f] and very few adults named [name_f]Iona[/name_f]. I was also really surprised how how much more Scottish the Scottish baby names are in 2019 than in 1900.

If I’d been born a century earlier, my name would be [name_f]Amanda[/name_f] [name_f]Lenore[/name_f], which I actually rather like. :slight_smile:

1 Like