What would you call two moms?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]! My wife and I are in the process of adoption and we were wondering what would the child call us. I know that the standard is usually mommy and mama, however, for us, culture plays a very big role.

See, my wife, who comes from Pakistan, has always seen kids call their mothers Mama [mum-ah], which transforms into [name_f]Amma[/name_f] [um-mah] or Ammi [um-mee] as they gradually grow older (into their late teens). However, I come from a Hispanic background and my family will be highly disappointed if my child doesn’t call me Mami [mah-mee].

The problem here is that we are worried that Mama and Mami are too similar and that the child will get confused, and so will we. Another problem is that mami is the informal word for your mom’s brother’s wife in Urdu and that causes some trouble from her side of the family because her brother does have a wife.

Are Mama and Mami too similar? Should I just go by Mommy (and later mom) and risk my family’s disapproval? Or should I go by Mami only?

Thank you.

I don’t mean any disrespect to your cultures or families, because those two constructs are immensely important to who one is as a person, but perhaps you two shouldn’t place too much worry on what they will think. Times change, situations change, and even family structure has changed. Without placing too many assumptions here, my guess is that this is a new sort of situation for both families (ie: when it’s a mom and a dad, it’s just a given, and people don’t usually care what the child calls its parents). With that being said, maybe this can lead to a positive conversation between you, your wife, and both sets of in-laws about how you guys may be doing things a bit differently than they would prefer (in regards to the mom titles), but how that doesn’t have to be a bad thing. Slight deviation from culture doesn’t have to be a bad thing. Maybe you could be sure to share certain ways you plan to raise your child, that pertain to culture from both sides?

For what it is worth, I don’t think that Mama and Mami are too similar, especially since your child would know which is which, and especially since it seems like your child would eventually make that switch from calling your wife Mama to [name_f]Amma[/name_f] or Ammi. Mama and Mami, Mama and Mommy, or whatever, I don’t think it matters much :slight_smile: the love will still be there, regardless of what title your little one calls you. Congratulations to you and your wife on your impending adoption!

Oh, and since the question was posed, I’ve really only heard of the Mom/Mommy or Mama/Mommy titles being used in two-mom families. Granted, I’m not sure how big of a role culture and family expectations play in these families, but no one seems to have a problem with it, especially the children.

Hmm. I think you will have to wait to see. My partner really wants to be “Papa” or “Pops,” but our kiddo (eleven months old) came up with “Dada” without any direction from us. Father and child go back and forth like “[name_m]Say[/name_m] ‘Papa,’” “Dada!” “‘Papa,’” “Dada!” and there doesn’t seem to be confusion on the little one’s end. Similarly, my mom really wants to go by [name_f]Gigi[/name_f] (prn Jeejee), but so far she’s “Yaya.”

I think it will only be a little confusing, for a little while, to go by the traditional Urdu and Spanish words for mother. Mama and Mami are very similar, but “Uh-mah” and “Mah-mee” are not, so if you do have a hard time understanding which mom your kiddo wants at the time (which I imagine will be clear in context!), it will get easier as your kiddo outgrows baby talk and uses your preferred words.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you and your partner have different initials, or simple nicknames? Maybe you could incorporate those sounds at first. My kid can’t say “Auntie” or his aunt’s full name, but he can say “[name_f]Bee[/name_f],” which is her initial and nickname.

If the kiddo winds up calling you both Mama or Mami, using sounds from your names might be a simple way to differentiate between you too. “Mama [name_m]Ra[/name_m]” and “Mama Fi” or something like that.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps, and congratulations on your adoption!

While I think it might be hard for you to understand who she is talking about for a little while, it will eventually get easier. My nearly two year old still doesn’t verbalize Daddy/Dada very well, but knows what it means. I think if you stick to the names you want to be called, your child will learn them and it won’t be confusing for her, even if it’s hard for you to understand her for a little while! I hope this makes sense! Congratulations on your growing family!

Babies are surprisingly intelligent, they will be able to tell the difference and vocalise the difference between Mama and Mami. They’re different enough. I personally would start with [name_f]Amma[/name_f] and Mami for a more noticeable difference,

I don’t think they are too close at all. I call myself mamma and my daughter usually says that, but lately she’s picked up that in (UK) English it’s usually mummy (I blame Peppa Pig) and sometimes calls me that as well. I think these are similar sounds to what you’re working with and it’s really easy to tell the difference!

Mommy and mama.

Nothing else sounds right to me.

[name_f]Ammy[/name_f] sounds like amy sooo i dont know about that haha.

I’m Spanish, I used to call my mom Mami and my grandma Mama. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t worry about it, it works perfectly!

I don’t think Mama and Mami are too close, I think it’s adorable. The suggestion of [name_f]Amma[/name_f] and Mami is good, too.
I was in a relationship for a while with a woman, and both our daughters were about the same age (2). They naturally fell into calling me Mama and her Mommy, no issues. We loved it. Now I’m just Mom.
I have a family at my preschool with 2 moms. Birthmother is Mom, and 4yo calls stepmom RaRa, because her name is [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]. They are expecting a baby girl in [name_f]February[/name_f], not sure how they will address mom names!
In conclusion… Mama and Mami, all the way. Congratulations!!!

As with a lot of the other posters have said, babies and children are quite intelligent and will be able to distinguish from Mama and Mami. [name_f]Amma[/name_f] is nice if you really want to use it. I would just use the ones from your cultures, don’t worry about them being to close!

I think Mami and Mama is gorgeous and I think your child would be able to easily call you those names and differentiate the sound. However, sometimes babies chooose what they call you! My daughter calls me mama (mumma) even though I always said mummy and my husband called me mummy. But she chose to call us mama and dada we think it is super sweet and hope she always does :smiley: And of course now we refer to ourselves as Mama and Dada.

[name_u]Freddie[/name_u] calls me Mumma and my wife Mummy, if he wants a specific one of us. If he doesn’t care which one he wants, he just calls us both Mum.

I don’t think Mama and Mami are too close at all. Freddie has never got Mumma and Mummy mixed up. You should use whatever you want though, don’t feel obliged to use what your family think you should use.

I think it will come naturally from the children themselves :slight_smile:
My cousin’s name is [name_f]Megan[/name_f], and her wife’s name is [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]. Originally their son was going to call [name_f]Meg[/name_f] “Mom” or “Mommy” and call [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] by her real name. But as a toddler, he could not pronounce her real name, so not she is known as [name_f]Gigi[/name_f] to the entire family now. Their kid is 17.

I don’t think they’re too similar but like other’s have said it may come naturally from the child as they learn. My nephew would mix up my name ‘[name_f]Annie[/name_f]’ with his [name_f]Nanny[/name_f] as he was practicing his speech - and they are obviously quite different, but he doesn’t do it anymore. As time goes on the distinction will become clearer for the little one but that doesn’t mean they won’t understand, maybe just struggle to vocalise it initially.

If I were you, I wouldn’t worry about the similarities, choose the names you’re happy with and see how it goes, your baby will work it out in their own time.

My three-year-old niece has a mama and a mommy and she will not hesitate to correct you if you use the wrong name.
“No, I went there with mommy, mama was at work” and stuff like that.

We’re mom/mommy and momma (to our cats for now).

Most couples I know have their kids call them Mama and Mami/Mommy. No one is ever confused about to whom they are referring.

In a story I’m putting together, the main character has to
Wo moms. She calls one Mom and the other Mama.

Adding onto those who have said most couples I know use Mama “mah-ma” and Mami / Mommy, it’s sweet, and kids can and do learn quickly how to differentiate the sound both when heard and spoken. However - in rereading over your post, I think you actually have even less to worry about than most couples, given that for you, your names will be “mum-ah” and “mah-mee.” These are pretty distinct relative to each other.

When you’re blending cultures in the creation of a new family, it doesn’t always work out perfectly, as you’ve seen in the fact that “mami” refers to a very specific person in your partner’s culture (and that diverges from yours in the sense that many women are Mami at any given time). If you’re adopting, you may want to consider that the child who enters your life could have their own ideas of what you should be called based in their own cultural understanding and upbringing. But you’re doing a great job, and your kids will not grow up confused - though they may grow into teens who find it hilarious to shout “Mom!” and see who responds!

I agree with all the people above who have stated that Mama and Mami are not too similar! I love that the names both come from your cultures.

You also made the statement about being concerned since on your wife’s side since mami can be used for your child’s aunt. If I were you, I would explain to your family members that Mami is used for mom in your Hispanic background, and that you would appreciate it if they could use a different affectionate term for auntie where your child is involved, at least until you child is old enough for the terms to be explained to them. I mean, as 4 or 5, I feel like it would be confusing to call your mother mami and then being told at family gatherings to call this other person mami too… but once your child gets older, like once they hit 8-10, if people kind of slip up and call their aunt mami in front of the child, I would probably start letting it go a bit - once the kid can kind of start to understand that cultures come into play, different languages etc, one can be a affectionate title and one can be name for Mom.

Also if I were the aunt in question I would respect that the mother’s culture or term for mom kind of takes precedence over the other side’s term for aunt. It is more important to you, that mom be called Mami, than for the aunt on the other side to be called mami. If it were me, I would understand and let it go, even if it might feel a little uncomfortable to me. I don’t think it is a big deal, and if everyone keeps their cool about the conversation and is level headed, it doesn’t need to hurt anybody or be something to be concerned about. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

1 Like