What's the appeal of Blythe?

so I’ve seen a lot of people like the name [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] and I just wonder what the appeal is, it doesn’t have a pretty sound and looks weird. not trying to be rude, but I just don’t understand why people like the name

I guess everyone has a different idea of what sounds nice :person_shrugging:

I like the way it’s sharp and distinctive, but cheerful and sparky too - I like the mix of sounds - the bright EYE sound with the sharp v and the gentle B - like [name_f]Sloane[/name_f], it doesn’t quite sound like anything else.

It has the traditional feel of [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] but without so much harshness (to my ears, I know others won’t feel the same and find [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] appealing), but the contemporary vibes of [name_f]Isla[/name_f] and [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], with a vintage style (like [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] or Violet)

2 Likes

I think everyone has different tastes!

But personally I really like [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] for the majority of the reasons listed by @Greyblue. However I do love [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]

@Greyblue @tori101 that kind of makes sense, it just sounds like a skin condition of somesort

1 Like

For me, [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] has appeal due to not only the meaning (“happy/carefree”), but also the unique sound. The contrast of the soft B with the ‘th’ sound makes for a lovely, spunky girl’s name. I’m not sure if I’d use it for my own child, seeing as I don’t love one syllable names, but it’s always exciting to meet a [name_f]Blythe[/name_f]!

4 Likes

This is a very subjective thing, especially cross-linguistically.

I don’t particularly like the name because of the connotations I have with it but I think the sound is smooth and it looks sophisticated and is definitely an “old money” name.

1 Like

I really like [name_f]Blythe[/name_f]. It all depends on personal taste. It just feels like such a happy name to me.

1 Like

I used to not like [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] because I couldn’t see the appeal either but my taste changed and it’s now one of my favorite names! We all have different taste in names and taste can change as well!

I really like the “th” sound in names, I love one syllable names, and it’s also pretty just visually, there’s a lot to love about this name to me.

It’s okay to not love a name or not see the appeal of a name, we can’t all love the same names because gosh we would all be named the same :joy:

3 Likes

I really love the name [name_f]Blythe[/name_f], especially for a boy!! I feel like it’s a very happy name due to the meaning, and also like that it feels very old-fashioned in a vintage way!!
I also agree that the -eye sound makes it sound very lively and bright!!

1 Like

It all boils down to varying tastes….

I like it visually. But yes I hear like a lisp sound with it so it loses its appeal to me on that ground.

I like [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] mainly because of its association with [name_f]Anne[/name_f] of [name_m]Green[/name_m] Gables (Gilbert [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] is a significant character who ends up marrying [name_f]Anne[/name_f] :heart_eyes:

I also just find it an interesting first name. I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone personally with the name [name_f]Blythe[/name_f], so it’s intriguing to me. It has an unusual look and sound which makes it pleasant to me.

I can, however, totally understand why someone else might dislike it - for the same reasons I like it, that it has an unusual look and sound.