What's wrong with the name Wylie/Wiley?

Am I missing something here?
I was on Y!A and I asked for a middle name for [name]Wylie[/name] for my friend…people started giggling, saying ‘Coyote’ and ‘Weiner’…I’m not really known for my ‘Name [name]History[/name]’. Can someone tell me…?

Sorry for the incoinvenience.
Thanks.

[name]Wylie[/name] Coyote is a classic Looney Tunes character (you know, characters like Porky Pig and [name]Elmer[/name] Fudd), so people familiar with the cartoon will understandably make the connection.

I don’t know about the [name]Wylie[/name] Wiener issue, though! :slight_smile:

I know of several little girls named [name]Wylie[/name], so I don’t know if that was something people commented on, too.

To avoid the cartoon reference, I’d personally stick with [name]Wyatt[/name].

Good luck to your friend! :slight_smile:

Wile E. Coyote - someone here not too long ago was sure we’d all seen Looney Tunes, but this is a cartoon character who chases and is often frustrated in his elaborate attempts to catch the character Roadrunner, who is a roadrunner. “Meep-meep!” sound familiar?

I want to say I don’t know about the Weiner, but I do. But I don’t know about the one they were giggling about. [name]Wiley[/name]/[name]Wylie[/name] sounds like wily:
“full of, marked by, or proceeding from wiles; crafty; cunning.” So maybe it’s a weiner with those qualities.

I got the Wile E. Coyote reference right away.

And my guess is folks were mispronouncing it “[name]Willy[/name]” (like [name]Billy[/name]) for the second one.

I like [name]Wiley[/name]. But it sounds like it should be short for something – but what? Wyland?

I like the name. I forgot about the cartoon character. Does it really sounds feminine? She likes it for a boy…

I think [name]Wiley[/name] is pretty cute. I wouldn’t use it as a full name, personally, but it would be a really cute nickname for [name]William[/name] or [name]Wyatt[/name]. I wouldn’t worry about the Wile E. Coyote reference, I don’t think anyone would make fun of him for that. As for weiner, I don’t know, I assume it has something to do with [name]Willy[/name], though.

Okay, so you know how a lot of kids can’t say their R’s properly? [name]Do[/name] you think he’ll have this conversation a lot"

Whats your name little guy?
[name]Wylie[/name]
Oh, [name]Rylie[/name]
No, [name]Wylie[/name]
[name]Rylie[/name]?
[name]Wylie[/name]