What's your opinion on...

three middle names? [name]Do[/name] you think it’s over-the-top? [name]Do[/name] you think it can work?

I totally think it can work - particularly if it is for honouring people. While it may make the name quite long, you could always just save the full name for legal documents, and use maybe one mn for day to day. I have friends who have done this with no problem, and it is a lovely way of honouring family history. I think it totally comes down to personal preference, and your reasons for doing it.

[name]Way[/name] over the top, in my opinion, but I don’t even like two middle names most of the time - I find the whole trend really pretentious, particularly in an era where so many surnames are hyphenated. I personally would hate to have a name that’s 15 syllables and doesn’t even fit on one line on my driver’s license, but that’s me. I get what the previous poster said about honoring - but there’s a point where it gets so heavy and you just have to say, this is too much name.

[name]One[/name] of my best friends growing up has 3 middle names. Since she was my best friend, I always thought it was fairly normal, haha.
Personally, though, I really tend not to like combos with more than one middle name (where I live, there’s no such thing as middle names anyway, so depending on where my kids are born, they might only have a first name).
So, 3 middle names can definitely work just fine, but it was definitely a hassle for my friend at points and she usually drops off the 2nd & 3rd middle names anyway, so it’s kind of like, “What’s the point?”

I have 2 middle names and although I like how my name sounds as a whole, it’s a pain when filling in forms as my names are quite long and there’s never enough space…

It can definitely work! Not everyone knows the middle name anyway, and they could just use one {I have a friend who is [name]Lauren[/name] [name]Charley[/name] [name]Isabella[/name] _____ and she just uses [name]Lauren[/name] [name]Isabella[/name] _____, without the [name]Charley[/name]}. I’m pretty sure the whole of the British royal family have at least three middle names, if not most of them, so it’s not unheard of!

To me, it depends on:

• Your surname. If it’s long or double-barrelled, no. If it’s short, maybe.
  • The names themselves. If her name is going to be [name]Leonora[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Seraphina[/name] [name]Gabrielle[/name] [surname], then no. If it’s [name]Arla[/name] [name]Eve[/name] [name]Colette[/name] [name]Grace[/name] [surname], then maybe.

[i]Thanks everyone, I pretty much agree with everything you all said. [name]Just[/name] curious on others opinions. I think it all comes down to the flow of the name. The only drawback for me is the not having enough room on forms and et cetera.
I think you’re right atlas! About the British royal family. I know [name]Prince[/name] [name]Harry[/name] and [name]Prince[/name] [name]William[/name] do. :slight_smile: I really looking through their family tree actually. There’s some beautiful combinations!

[name]Just[/name] a fun (?) fact: I was looking through census records for [name]England[/name] and [name]Wales[/name] in 1854 and found a woman who had fourteen middle names! Now that is definitely over-the-top! Her name was [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Jane[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Ann[/name] [name]Emma[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Isabella[/name] [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Martha[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Eveline[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Rosamund[/name] [surname].[/i]

WHOA!

If that was my name, I’d be spoilt for choice as what to go by. :slight_smile: I think I’d go by either [name]Eveline[/name], [name]Isabella[/name] or [name]Catherine[/name]!

I don’t see why not. I think it’s up to the individual. For a name nerd I think it could be fun and who says people should only have one middle name?

My sentiments exactly, cka!

I posted this question while I was pregnant and wanted to do 3 mns cause I wanted to honor 3 people. I got shot down…pretty much people said if you aren’t royalty you shouldn’t go beyond 2 middles.
I think it depends on flow and last name length as well.
I ended up going with 2 middles and I hyphenated them.
it’s funny- one mn is for a deceased family member of mine and one is for a deceased family member of my husband’s and my family calls her [name]Leonie[/name] [name]Simone[/name] (the mn for my cousin) and my husband’s family calls her [name]Leonie[/name] [name]Ida[/name] (pronounced Eat-uh, for his grandmother)…